Running examples with the Seismic module

Dear @Yihan.Wu,

Unfortunately, I’m not able to run example 3 on my computer because the NREL firewall blocks the usage of rspm09.exe, which is also why NREL is not able to share the Seismic archive through a public-facing site.

Regardless, I don’t see anything wrong with your result. I’m not actually sure which example (if any) is plotted in the report.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
This is the result in the report,which is different from mine.

And I want to know why does my curve have a decay process after about 440 seconds.

Best regards,

Dear @Yihan.Wu,

Seismic example 3 is not a simulation of an emergency shutdown loading condition, so, the results from example 3 should not match Figure 5 from the NREL/SR-5000-53872 report that you are referencing.

The Seismic examples all involve a simulation where the earthquake starts at 400 s and lasts for about 40 s. So, I would expect a decay in the tower response after 440 s.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
thank you for your reply
Yihan Wu

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,
I have tried to change some parameters to simulate the three working states you tested in NREL/SR-5000-53872:operation,idling and emergency shutdown. But the results are still different. Is there any chance that I could test your modified parameters with the three conditions.
I will be very grateful.
Best regards,

Dear @Yihan.Wu,

I don’t have the complete set of input files used to generate the results for this report. Perhaps @Ian.Prowell could supply those.

Best regards,

thank you for your reply.
Yihan Wu

Dear Jason,
I would like to ask you about the simulation of idling, Operational, and emergency shutdown in NREL/SR-5000-53872. Are BLineCorrection and TgtResponse matching used? In addition, is the platform mass 7.0E5kg used in the simulation?
On the other, whether the assumption that the shutdown is triggered when horizontal acceleration in the nacelle exceeds 1 m/s2) has been written to DISCON.dll? In other words, if I hadn’t changed the controller code, would the example I was running trigger an emergency stop if the cabin acceleration exceeded 1m/s^2?
Best wishes!

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

I was not the one who ran these simulations and don’t have the associated input files. So, I can’t answer your questions. Perhaps @Ian.Prowell could respond.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
I want to obtain the FASTv7 case about Seismic. The FASTv7 I downloaded from NREL does not contain the example of Seismic file(Examples\1_NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Onshore_udm_wo_baseline_wo_target…). Please help me.(13059039787@163.com)
Best regards,

Dear Jinyu.Xu,

I’ve sent you the files via WeTransfer.

Best regards,

Dear,Jason
Thank you for your reply.
Best regards,

Dear,Jason
I downloaded the SEISmic_V2.00.00 file you sent and read the information for this post. I have a few questions I’d like to consult with you.
1.If I want to simulate the seismic response of a 5MW jacket wind turbine, can I do that with the documentation you sent? I downloaded the file for Monopile wind turbine (NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Monopile_CS.dat)
2.Does the FAST_IWIN32_DL.exe executable need to be recompiled if the offshore stationary wind turbine is simulated?
3.I want to get help documentation on compiling FAST. Are there any other references besides the FAST User’s Guide?
Best regards,

Dear @Jinyu.Xu,

Regarding 1 and 2, the Seismic version of FAST v7 only applies to land-based systems with monotowers and offshore systems with monopiles. Tripods and jackets can be modeled in OpenFAST, but OpenFAST does not yet support the Seismic functionality without modifications to the source code.

Regarding 3 and compiling FAST v7, see the old CompilingInstructions_FASTv7.pdf documentation found here: CompilingInstructions_FASTv7.pdf - Google Drive.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
I will try to add the Seismic code into OpenFast, although it may not work successfully, thanks for your reply and detailed answers
Best regards,

Dear,Jason
I have read your sent compilingInstructions_fastv7.pdf and I have a few questions to ask you.
1.Figure 9 in the documentation shows the submodules included with FASTv7. I wonder where to download the file for the InflowWind module? The InflowWind file I found on NREL is FASTv8 compliant. Are they the same?
2.Also, I was wondering if the old – NWTC_library I found on Github works with Fastv7? And I can’t find nwtc_aerO.f90 in the Github files.
3.Is the FAST v7.01.00A-BJJ file the same as 7.02? I can’t find the download address of 7.01 version, please help me.
Best regards,

Dear @Jinyu.Xu,

The compiling instructions for FAST v7 that I sent you were for FAST v7.01; FAST v7.02 is slightly newer, but the compiling instructions were not updated. But to compile FAST v7.02 with the Seismic functionality, you’ll need the source files from:

Best regards,

Dear,Jason
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Best regards,

Dear,Jason
I have successfully compiled FASTV7 and run the seismic module with your guidance. Now I want to simulate the response of a jacket wind turbine under earthquake action, and I would like to ask you to give me some suggestions:
1.Fastv7 was used to build a jacket model to simulate the seismic action, or FASTV8 / OpenFast was used to replicate the seismic module. Which way do you think is easier?
2.I have recently been trying to compile FastV8 with VS2017, but have not been successful. I have been running through E:\fast8\Compiling\VisualStudio\ fast_project.vfproj since I decompressed it in fast_v8.16.00a-bjj.exe. Without making any changes to the property, go straight to Build Solution as instructed by compilingInstructions_fastv8.pdf. This is an error message, please point out my mistake, thank you.

Best regards,

Dear @Jinyu.Xu,

Regarding (1), if you are talking about changing the source code, I would think it would be much easier to replicate the FAST v7 seismic functionality in OpenFAST (e.g., by starting with and modifying the SoilDyn module: SoilDyn -- soil dynamics module by andrew-platt · Pull Request #986 · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub) than it would be to add jacket modeling functionality into FAST v7.

Regarding (2), what is written to the “Output” window when you click “Build” in Visual Studio? The “Output” window is much more informative than the “Error List”.

Best regards,