Running examples with the Seismic module

Dear Jason,

Thanks for your sending Seismic v2.00.00 archive via WeTransfer. However, I met some troubles. I have read out the pdf titledSeismic Loading for Fast and tried running the example 1_NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Onshore_udm_wo_baseline_wo_target.
The command line window told me that the pitch.ipt and spd_trq.dat files were missing, so I copied them from other folders into the example file directory. Then the calculation starts running, prompting a warning: small Angle assumption violated.
Later in the out file, I also see that the result is invalid. What is the reason for this? How to solve it?

Great thanks,
Pengfei

Dear Jason,
I’m sorry that I forgot to tell you that at the beginning of the simulation, I adjusted the GBRatio as prompted as shown following.

Dear Pengfei,

Your use of a wind turbine controller that is incompatible with the wind turbine you are simulating is causing the problems you are facing. Did you recompile the Seismic version of the FAST executable yourself? It appears that you recompiled the executable but did not include the interface to the Bladed-style DISCON controller.

The sample seismic models do not need the Pitch.ipt or Spd_Trq.dat files and do not need GBRatio = 1. Instead, the seismic models use blade-pitch and generator-torque control logic from a Bladed-style DLL (DISCON.dll). This DLL will be called when the Seismic version of the FAST executable is compiled with the interface to the DISCON controller. (This is how the Windows executable provided in the Seismic archive was compiled.)

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I think I have figured out the reason. In fact, the executable I run is fast_iwin32. exe, not fast_iwin32_DLL.exe. I think the latter is the compiled executable program with the seismic module , now I have been able to run the example successfully, thank you!

Pengfei

Dear Jason,

I have some questions to consult you. You said the seismic functionality of FAST v7 also applies to fixed-bottom offshore wind turbines with monopile substructures, but I can’t find HydroFile in the input file settings. Could you please tell me how to apply the seismic functionality to fixed- bottom offshore wind turbine with monopile substructue? In addition, I can’t find FAST v7 anywhere, could you tell me how to find it?

Great thanks,

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

In FAST v7, the HydroDyn module inputs are included with the platform-related inputs in the platform file. To include seismic functionality for an offshore wind turbine atop a monopile, the model should be set up similar to the coupled springs model–e.g., see the platform file named NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat and the associated tower file named NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Monopile_CS.dat that I shared in my Nov '18 post in the following forum topic: Simulating OC3 phase II coupled springs in FAST v7 - #2 by Jason.Jonkman. In that post, setting PtfmLdMod = 1 referenced a SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() that included an implementation of a coupled springs foundation. When running the seismic version of FAST v7, SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() includes the seismic functionality instead, which requires the addition of the seismic input file.

The standard version of FAST v7 is available here: https://www.nrel.gov/wind/nwtc/assets/downloads/FAST/FASTv7.02/FAST_v7.02.00d-bjj.exe. The version of FAST v7 with the seismic functionality should be available here: Seismic | Wind Research | NREL, but I’ve had to send the associated archive via WeTransfer as stated above.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I guess it is not possible in the current version of FAST_Seismic to directly enable a coupled springs or distributed springs model solely through settings in the input file, right? Whether a slight customization (requiring recompile) of FAST is currently required? I need to replace the SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() in UserPtfmLd_CS.f90 file you uploaded with the SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() in UserPtfmLd_Seismic.f90 and recompile based on FAST_v7 all Source, is that right?

Great thanks!

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

The Seismic functionality of FAST v7 is essentially based on a coupled springs foundation except that (1) the Seismic functionality is only implemented for the translation DOFs (surge, sway, heave), not the rotational DOFs (roll, pitch, yaw) and (2) the stiffness and damping are defined by via an actuator frequency (ActFreq) and damping ratio (ActDamp) rather than through direct stiffness and damping matrices. The Seismic functionality does not support a distributed springs foundation model.

I need to replace the SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() in UserPtfmLd_CS.f90 file you uploaded with the SUBROUTINE UserPtfmLd() in UserPtfmLd_Seismic.f90 and recompile based on FAST_v7 all Source, is that right?

Regarding this statement, would say that to compile the Seismic version of FAST v7, you should recompile FAST v7 with the UserPtfmLd_Seismic.f90 source file in place of the UserPtfmLd_CS.f90 source file.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I’m sorry, I don’t fully understand you.
I have learned that the seismic feature does not support distributed spring foundation model due to the rotational DOFs. But what about the seismic functionality appling to coupled springs foundation model? Your suggestion is to be directly recompile FAST v7 with the UserPtfmLd_Seismic.f90 source file in place of the UserPtfmLd_CS.f90 source file. But I think this can only achieve the basic function of coupled spring and lose the seismic function, I don’t know if I understand correctly.
Thank you for your patience, which is very helpful to me

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

I agree with your statements concerning the Seismic functionality of FAST v7. The term “coupled springs” foundation typically refers to a stiffness matrix (and damping) applied at the base of the tower. This is what the Seismic functionality is using, except only in the translation DOFs (surge, sway, and heave directions).

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you. Is that seismic function can only be considered on apparent fixeity model? I still have some questions about this paragraph you mentioned earlier.I am confused about how to simulate the coupling effect of single pile structure hydrodynamics and seismic functionality. To implement hydrodynamics and seismic functionality coupling, you don’t need to recompile, right? But I still have problems at run time, it will reminder me like this:

I have read the previous related topics: Small angle assumption violated in SUBROUTINE SmllRotTrans()
Simulating OC3 phase II coupled springs in FAST v7, but there is nothing about seismic functionality. Could you give me some guidance and suggestions?

Dear Jason,
I use FAST_seimis2.0 to simulate fixed-bottom offshore wind turbines with monopile substructures OC3 directly. Here is the .fst ,platform and tower files.
NRELOffshrBsline5MW_offshore.fst

------- FAST INPUT FILE --------------------------------------------------------
NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine for Use in Offshore Analysis.
Properties from Dutch Offshore Wind Energy Converter (DOWEC) 6MW Pre-Design (10046_009.pdf) and REpower 5M 5MW (5m_uk.pdf); Compatible with FAST v6.0.
---------------------- SIMULATION CONTROL --------------------------------------
TRUE Echo - Echo input data to “echo.out” (flag)
1 ADAMSPrep - ADAMS preprocessor mode {1: Run FAST, 2: use FAST as a preprocessor to create an ADAMS model, 3: do both} (switch)
1 AnalMode - Analysis mode {1: Run a time-marching simulation, 2: create a periodic linearized model} (switch)
3 NumBl - Number of blades (-)
500.00 TMax - Total run time (s)
0.00125 DT - Integration time step (s)
---------------------- TURBINE CONTROL -----------------------------------------
0 YCMode - Yaw control mode {0: none, 1: user-defined from routine UserYawCont, 2: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
9999.9 TYCOn - Time to enable active yaw control (s) [unused when YCMode=0]
1 PCMode - Pitch control mode {0: none, 1: user-defined from routine PitchCntrl, 2: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
0.0 TPCOn - Time to enable active pitch control (s) [unused when PCMode=0]
2 VSContrl - Variable-speed control mode {0: none, 1: simple VS, 2: user-defined from routine UserVSCont, 3: user-defined from Simulink} (switch)
9999.9 VS_RtGnSp - Rated generator speed for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (rpm) [used only when VSContrl=1]
9999.9 VS_RtTq - Rated generator torque/constant generator torque in Region 3 for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (N-m) [used only when VSContrl=1]
9999.9 VS_Rgn2K - Generator torque constant in Region 2 for simple variable-speed generator control (HSS side) (N-m/rpm^2) [used only when VSContrl=1]
9999.9 VS_SlPc - Rated generator slip percentage in Region 2 1/2 for simple variable-speed generator control (%) [used only when VSContrl=1]
2 GenModel - Generator model {1: simple, 2: Thevenin, 3: user-defined from routine UserGen} (switch) [used only when VSContrl=0]
True GenTiStr - Method to start the generator {T: timed using TimGenOn, F: generator speed using SpdGenOn} (flag)
True GenTiStp - Method to stop the generator {T: timed using TimGenOf, F: when generator power = 0} (flag)
9999.9 SpdGenOn - Generator speed to turn on the generator for a startup (HSS speed) (rpm) [used only when GenTiStr=False]
0.0 TimGenOn - Time to turn on the generator for a startup (s) [used only when GenTiStr=True]
9999.9 TimGenOf - Time to turn off the generator (s) [used only when GenTiStp=True]
1 HSSBrMode - HSS brake model {1: simple, 2: user-defined from routine UserHSSBr} (switch)
9999.9 THSSBrDp - Time to initiate deployment of the HSS brake (s)
9999.9 TiDynBrk - Time to initiate deployment of the dynamic generator brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (s)
9999.9 TTpBrDp(1) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 1 (s)
9999.9 TTpBrDp(2) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 2 (s)
9999.9 TTpBrDp(3) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brake 3 (s) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9 TBDepISp(1) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 1 (rpm)
9999.9 TBDepISp(2) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 2 (rpm)
9999.9 TBDepISp(3) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brake on blade 3 (rpm) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9 TYawManS - Time to start override yaw maneuver and end standard yaw control (s)
9999.9 TYawManE - Time at which override yaw maneuver reaches final yaw angle (s)
0.0 NacYawF - Final yaw angle for yaw maneuvers (degrees)
9999.9 TPitManS(1) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 1 and end standard pitch control (s)
9999.9 TPitManS(2) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 2 and end standard pitch control (s)
9999.9 TPitManS(3) - Time to start override pitch maneuver for blade 3 and end standard pitch control (s) [unused for 2 blades]
9999.9 TPitManE(1) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 1 reaches final pitch (s)
9999.9 TPitManE(2) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 2 reaches final pitch (s)
9999.9 TPitManE(3) - Time at which override pitch maneuver for blade 3 reaches final pitch (s) [unused for 2 blades]
0.0 BlPitch(1) - Blade 1 initial pitch (degrees)
0.0 BlPitch(2) - Blade 2 initial pitch (degrees)
0.0 BlPitch(3) - Blade 3 initial pitch (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
0.0 B1PitchF(1) - Blade 1 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees)
0.0 B1PitchF(2) - Blade 2 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees)
0.0 B1PitchF(3) - Blade 3 final pitch for pitch maneuvers (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
---------------------- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------
9.80665 Gravity - Gravitational acceleration (m/s^2)
---------------------- FEATURE FLAGS -------------------------------------------
True FlapDOF1 - First flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True FlapDOF2 - Second flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True EdgeDOF - First edgewise blade mode DOF (flag)
False TeetDOF - Rotor-teeter DOF (flag) [unused for 3 blades]
True DrTrDOF - Drivetrain rotational-flexibility DOF (flag)
True GenDOF - Generator DOF (flag)
True YawDOF - Yaw DOF (flag)
True TwFADOF1 - First fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwFADOF2 - Second fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwSSDOF1 - First side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwSSDOF2 - Second side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True CompAero - Compute aerodynamic forces (flag)
False CompNoise - Compute aerodynamic noise (flag)
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------------
0.0 OoPDefl - Initial out-of-plane blade-tip displacement (meters)
0.0 IPDefl - Initial in-plane blade-tip deflection (meters)
0.0 TeetDefl - Initial or fixed teeter angle (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0 Azimuth - Initial azimuth angle for blade 1 (degrees)
12.1 RotSpeed - Initial or fixed rotor speed (rpm)
0.0 NacYaw - Initial or fixed nacelle-yaw angle (degrees)
0.0 TTDspFA - Initial fore-aft tower-top displacement (meters)
0.0 TTDspSS - Initial side-to-side tower-top displacement (meters)
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION -----------------------------------
63.0 TipRad - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade tip (meters)
1.5 HubRad - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade root (meters)
1 PSpnElN - Number of the innermost blade element which is still part of the pitchable portion of the blade for partial-span pitch control [1 to BldNodes] [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (-)
0.0 UndSling - Undersling length [distance from teeter pin to the rotor apex] (meters) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0 HubCM - Distance from rotor apex to hub mass [positive downwind] (meters)
-5.01910 OverHang - Distance from yaw axis to rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] (meters)
1.9 NacCMxn - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
0.0 NacCMyn - Lateral distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
1.75 NacCMzn - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
87.6 TowerHt - Height of tower above ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] (meters)
1.96256 Twr2Shft - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the rotor shaft (meters)
0.0 TwrRBHt - Tower rigid base height (meters)
-5.0 ShftTilt - Rotor shaft tilt angle (degrees)
0.0 Delta3 - Delta-3 angle for teetering rotors (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
-2.5 PreCone(1) - Blade 1 cone angle (degrees)
-2.5 PreCone(2) - Blade 2 cone angle (degrees)
-2.5 PreCone(3) - Blade 3 cone angle (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
0.0 AzimB1Up - Azimuth value to use for I/O when blade 1 points up (degrees)
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA ----------------------------------------
0.0 YawBrMass - Yaw bearing mass (kg)
240.00E3 NacMass - Nacelle mass (kg)
56.78E3 HubMass - Hub mass (kg)
0.0 TipMass(1) - Tip-brake mass, blade 1 (kg)
0.0 TipMass(2) - Tip-brake mass, blade 2 (kg)
0.0 TipMass(3) - Tip-brake mass, blade 3 (kg) [unused for 2 blades]
2607.89E3 NacYIner - Nacelle inertia about yaw axis (kg m^2)
534.116 GenIner - Generator inertia about HSS (kg m^2)
115.926E3 HubIner - Hub inertia about rotor axis [3 blades] or teeter axis [2 blades] (kg m^2)
---------------------- DRIVETRAIN ----------------------------------------------
100.0 GBoxEff - Gearbox efficiency (%)
94.4 GenEff - Generator efficiency [ignored by the Thevenin and user-defined generator models] (%)
97.0 GBRatio - Gearbox ratio (-)
False GBRevers - Gearbox reversal {T: if rotor and generator rotate in opposite directions} (flag)
28.1162E3 HSSBrTqF - Fully deployed HSS-brake torque (N-m)
0.6 HSSBrDT - Time for HSS-brake to reach full deployment once initiated (sec) [used only when HSSBrMode=1]
DynBrkFi - File containing a mech-gen-torque vs HSS-speed curve for a dynamic brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (quoted string)
867.637E6 DTTorSpr - Drivetrain torsional spring (N-m/rad)
6.215E6 DTTorDmp - Drivetrain torsional damper (N-m/(rad/s))
---------------------- SIMPLE INDUCTION GENERATOR ------------------------------
9999.9 SIG_SlPc - Rated generator slip percentage (%) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9 SIG_SySp - Synchronous (zero-torque) generator speed (rpm) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9 SIG_RtTq - Rated torque (N-m) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
9999.9 SIG_PORt - Pull-out ratio (Tpullout/Trated) (-) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=1]
---------------------- THEVENIN-EQUIVALENT INDUCTION GENERATOR -----------------
9999.9 TEC_Freq - Line frequency [50 or 60] (Hz) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9998 TEC_NPol - Number of poles [even integer > 0] (-) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_SRes - Stator resistance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_RRes - Rotor resistance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_VLL - Line-to-line RMS voltage (volts) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_SLR - Stator leakage reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_RLR - Rotor leakage reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
9999.9 TEC_MR - Magnetizing reactance (ohms) [used only when VSContrl=0 and GenModel=2]
---------------------- PLATFORM ------------------------------------------------
2 PtfmModel - Platform model {0: none, 1: onshore, 2: fixed bottom offshore, 3: floating offshore} (switch)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat” PtfmFile - Name of file containing platform properties (quoted string) [unused when PtfmModel=0]
---------------------- TOWER ---------------------------------------------------
20 TwrNodes - Number of tower nodes used for analysis (-)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Monopile_CS.dat” TwrFile - Name of file containing tower properties (quoted string)
---------------------- NACELLE-YAW ---------------------------------------------
9028.32E6 YawSpr - Nacelle-yaw spring constant (N-m/rad)
19.16E6 YawDamp - Nacelle-yaw damping constant (N-m/(rad/s))
0.0 YawNeut - Neutral yaw position–yaw spring force is zero at this yaw (degrees)
---------------------- FURLING -------------------------------------------------
False Furling - Read in additional model properties for furling turbine (flag)
FurlFile - Name of file containing furling properties (quoted string) [unused when Furling=False]
---------------------- ROTOR-TEETER --------------------------------------------
0 TeetMod - Rotor-teeter spring/damper model {0: none, 1: standard, 2: user-defined from routine UserTeet} (switch) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0 TeetDmpP - Rotor-teeter damper position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetDmp - Rotor-teeter damping constant (N-m/(rad/s)) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetCDmp - Rotor-teeter rate-independent Coulomb-damping moment (N-m) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetSStP - Rotor-teeter soft-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetHStP - Rotor-teeter hard-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetSSSp - Rotor-teeter soft-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetHSSp - Rotor-teeter hard-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
---------------------- TIP-BRAKE -----------------------------------------------
0.0 TBDrConN - Tip-brake drag constant during normal operation, CdArea (m^2)
0.0 TBDrConD - Tip-brake drag constant during fully-deployed operation, Cd
Area (m^2)
0.0 TpBrDT - Time for tip-brake to reach full deployment once released (sec)
---------------------- BLADE ---------------------------------------------------
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(1) - Name of file containing properties for blade 1 (quoted string)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(2) - Name of file containing properties for blade 2 (quoted string)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(3) - Name of file containing properties for blade 3 (quoted string) [unused for 2 blades]
---------------------- AERODYN -------------------------------------------------
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_AeroDyn.ipt” ADFile - Name of file containing AeroDyn input parameters (quoted string)
---------------------- NOISE ---------------------------------------------------
NoiseFile - Name of file containing aerodynamic noise input parameters (quoted string) [used only when CompNoise=True]
---------------------- ADAMS ---------------------------------------------------
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_ADAMSSpecific.dat” ADAMSFile - Name of file containing ADAMS-specific input parameters (quoted string) [unused when ADAMSPrep=1]
---------------------- LINEARIZATION CONTROL -----------------------------------
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Linear.dat” LinFile - Name of file containing FAST linearization parameters (quoted string) [unused when AnalMode=1]
---------------------- OUTPUT --------------------------------------------------
True SumPrint - Print summary data to “.fsm” (flag)
1 OutFileFmt - Format for tabular (time-marching) output file(s) (1: text file [.out], 2: binary file [.outb], 3: both) (switch)
True TabDelim - Generate a tab-delimited tabular output file. (flag)
“ES10.3E2” OutFmt - Format used for tabular output except time. Resulting field should be 10 characters. (quoted string) [not checked for validity!]
0.0 TStart - Time to begin tabular output (s)
1 DecFact - Decimation factor for tabular output {1: output every time step} (-)
1.0 SttsTime - Amount of time between screen status messages (sec)
-3.09528 NcIMUxn - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
0.0 NcIMUyn - Lateral distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
2.23336 NcIMUzn - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
1.912 ShftGagL - Distance from rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] to shaft strain gages [positive for upwind rotors] (meters)
0 NTwGages - Number of tower nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
TwrGagNd - List of tower nodes that have strain gages [1 to TwrNodes] (-) [unused if NTwGages=0]
3 NBlGages - Number of blade nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
5,9,13 BldGagNd - List of blade nodes that have strain gages [1 to BldNodes] (-) [unused if NBlGages=0]
OutList - The next line(s) contains a list of output parameters. See OutList.txt for a listing of available output channels, (-)
"PtfmTDxi, PtfmTDyi, PtfmTDzi " - Tower fore-aft and side-to-side accelerations
"PtfmTVxi, PtfmTVyi, PtfmTVzi " - Tower fore-aft and side-to-side accelerations
"PtfmTAxi, PtfmTAyi, PtfmTAzi " - Tower fore-aft and side-to-side accelerations
“PtfmTAxt , PtfmTAyt , PtfmTAzt”
“YawBrFxp , YawBrFyp , YawBrFzp” - Fore-aft shear, side-to-side shear, and vertical forces at the top of the tower (not rotating with nacelle yaw)
“YawBrMxp , YawBrMyp , YawBrMzp” - Side-to-side bending, fore-aft bending, and yaw moments at the top of the tower (not rotating with nacelle yaw)
“TwrBsFxt , TwrBsFyt , TwrBsFzt” - Fore-aft shear, side-to-side shear, and vertical forces at the base of the tower (mudline)
“TwrBsMxt , TwrBsMyt , TwrBsMzt” - Side-to-side bending, fore-aft bending, and yaw moments at the base of the tower (mudline)
“NcIMUTAxs , NcIMUTAys , NcIMUTAzs”
END of FAST input file (the word “END” must appear in the first 3 columns of this last line).

NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat

---------------------- FAST PLATFORM FILE --------------------------------------
NREL 5.0 MW offshore baseline monopile platform with discrete coupled springs foundation input properties.
---------------------- FEATURE FLAGS (CONT) ------------------------------------
True PtfmSgDOF - Platform horizontal surge translation DOF (flag)
True PtfmSwDOF - Platform horizontal sway translation DOF (flag)
False PtfmHvDOF - Platform vertical heave translation DOF (flag)
False PtfmRDOF - Platform roll tilt rotation DOF (flag)
False PtfmPDOF - Platform pitch tilt rotation DOF (flag)
False PtfmYDOF - Platform yaw rotation DOF (flag)
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS (CONT) -------------------------------
0.0 PtfmSurge - Initial or fixed horizontal surge translational displacement of platform (meters)
0.0 PtfmSway - Initial or fixed horizontal sway translational displacement of platform (meters)
0.0 PtfmHeave - Initial or fixed vertical heave translational displacement of platform (meters)
0.0 PtfmRoll - Initial or fixed roll tilt rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
0.0 PtfmPitch - Initial or fixed pitch tilt rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
0.0 PtfmYaw - Initial or fixed yaw rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION (CONT) ----------------------------
20.0 TwrDraft - Downward distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the tower base platform connection (meters)
20.0 PtfmCM - Downward distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform CM (meters)
20.0 PtfmRef - Downward distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform reference point (meters)
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA (CONT) ---------------------------------
7.0e5 PtfmMass - Platform mass (kg)
0.0 PtfmRIner - Platform inertia for roll tilt rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
0.0 PtfmPIner - Platform inertia for pitch tilt rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
0.0 PtfmYIner - Platfrom inertia for yaw rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
---------------------- PLATFORM (CONT) -----------------------------------------
1 PtfmLdMod - Platform loading model {0: none, 1: user-defined from routine UserPtfmLd} (switch)
---------------------- TOWER (CONT) --------------------------------------------
1 TwrLdMod - Tower loading model {0: none, 1: Morison’s equation, 2: user-defined from routine UserTwrLd} (switch)
6.0 TwrDiam - Tower diameter in Morison’s equation (meters) [used only when TwrLdMod=1]
1.0 TwrCA - Normalized hydrodynamic added mass coefficient in Morison’s equation (-) [used only when TwrLdMod=1] [determines TwrCM=1+TwrCA]
1.0 TwrCD - Normalized hydrodynamic viscous drag coefficient in Morison’s equation (-) [used only when TwrLdMod=1]
---------------------- WAVES ---------------------------------------------------
1027.0 WtrDens - Water density (kg/m^3)
20.0 WtrDpth - Water depth (meters)
2 WaveMod - Incident wave kinematics model {0: none=still water, 1: plane progressive (regular) with optional phase specification (i.e., specify 1P#, where # is the phase in degrees to override WaveSeed), 2: JONSWAP/Pierson-Moskowitz spectrum (irregular), 3: user-defind spectrum from routine UserWaveSpctrm (irregular)} (switch)
3 WaveStMod - Model for stretching incident wave kinematics to instantaneous free surface {0: none=no stretching, 1: vertical stretching, 2: extrapolation stretching, 3: Wheeler stretching} (switch) [unused when WaveMod=0]
3630.0 WaveTMax - Analysis time for incident wave calculations (sec) [unused when WaveMod=0] [determines WaveDOmega=2Pi/WaveTMax in the IFFT]
0.25 WaveDT - Time step for incident wave calculations (sec) [unused when WaveMod=0] [0.1<=WaveDT<=1.0 recommended] [determines WaveOmegaMax=Pi/WaveDT in the IFFT]
5.0 WaveHs - Significant wave height of incident waves (meters) [unused when WaveMod=0, 3, or 4]
12.4 WaveTp - Peak spectral period of incident waves (sec) [unused when WaveMod=0, 3, or 4]
DEFAULT WavePkShp - Peak shape parameter of incident wave spectrum (-) or DEFAULT (unquoted string) [used only when WaveMod=2] [use 1.0 for Pierson-Moskowitz]
0.0 WaveDir - Incident wave propagation heading direction (degrees) [unused when WaveMod=0 or 4]
123456789 WaveSeed(1) - First random seed of incident waves [-2147483648 to 2147483647] (-) [unused when WaveMod=0, 1P#, or 4]
1011121314 WaveSeed(2) - Second random seed of incident waves [-2147483648 to 2147483647] (-) [unused when WaveMod=0, 1P#, or 4]
True WaveNDAmp - Normally-distributed amplitudes in incident waves spectrum (flag) [used only when WaveMod=2 or 3]
“Dummy” GHWvFile - Root name of GH Bladed files containing wave data (quoted string) [used only when WaveMod=4]
---------------------- CURRENT -------------------------------------------------
0 CurrMod - Current profile model {0: none=no current, 1: standard, 2: user-defined from routine UserCurrent} (switch)
0.0 CurrSSV0 - Sub-surface current velocity at still water level (m/s) [used only when CurrMod=1]
DEFAULT CurrSSDir - Sub-surface current heading direction (degrees) or DEFAULT (unquoted string) [used only when CurrMod=1]
20.0 CurrNSRef - Near-surface current reference depth (meters) [used only when CurrMod=1]
0.0 CurrNSV0 - Near-surface current velocity at still water level (m/s) [used only when CurrMod=1]
0.0 CurrNSDir - Near-surface current heading direction (degrees) [used only when CurrMod=1]
0.0 CurrDIV - Depth-independent current velocity (m/s) [used only when CurrMod=1]
0.0 CurrDIDir - Depth-independent current heading direction (degrees) [used only when CurrMod=1]
---------------------- OUTPUT (CONT) -------------------------------------------
0 NWaveKin - Number of points where the wave kinematics can be output [0 to 9] (-)
0 WaveKinNd - List of tower nodes that have wave kinematics sensors [1 to TwrNodes] (-) [unused if NWaveKin=0]

NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Monopile_CS.dat

---------------------- FAST TOWER FILE -----------------------------------------
NREL 5.0 MW offshore baseline monopile tower with discrete coupled springs foundation input properties.
---------------------- TOWER PARAMETERS ----------------------------------------
13 NTwInpSt - Number of input stations to specify tower geometry
False CalcTMode - Calculate tower mode shapes internally {T: ignore mode shapes from below, F: use mode shapes from below} [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (flag)
1.0 TwrFADmp(1) - Tower 1st fore-aft mode structural damping ratio (%)
1.0 TwrFADmp(2) - Tower 2nd fore-aft mode structural damping ratio (%)
1.0 TwrSSDmp(1) - Tower 1st side-to-side mode structural damping ratio (%)
1.0 TwrSSDmp(2) - Tower 2nd side-to-side mode structural damping ratio (%)
---------------------- TOWER ADJUSTMUNT FACTORS --------------------------------
1.0 FAStTunr(1) - Tower fore-aft modal stiffness tuner, 1st mode (-)
1.0 FAStTunr(2) - Tower fore-aft modal stiffness tuner, 2nd mode (-)
1.0 SSStTunr(1) - Tower side-to-side stiffness tuner, 1st mode (-)
1.0 SSStTunr(2) - Tower side-to-side stiffness tuner, 2nd mode (-)
1.0 AdjTwMa - Factor to adjust tower mass density (-)
1.0 AdjFASt - Factor to adjust tower fore-aft stiffness (-)
1.0 AdjSSSt - Factor to adjust tower side-to-side stiffness (-)
---------------------- DISTRIBUTED TOWER PROPERTIES ----------------------------
HtFract TMassDen TwFAStif TwSSStif TwGJStif TwEAStif TwFAIner TwSSIner TwFAcgOf TwSScgOf
(-) (kg/m) (Nm^2) (Nm^2) (Nm^2) (N) (kg m) (kg m) (m) (m)
0.00000 9517.14 1037.13E9 1037.13E9 798.098E9 235.129E9 41979.2 41979.2 0.0 0.0
0.27881 9517.14 1037.13E9 1037.13E9 798.098E9 235.129E9 41979.2 41979.2 0.0 0.0
0.27882 4306.51 474.49E9 474.49E9 365.133E9 106.396E9 19205.6 19205.6 0.0 0.0
0.35094 4030.44 413.08E9 413.08E9 317.878E9 99.576E9 16720.0 16720.0 0.0 0.0
0.42306 3763.45 357.83E9 357.83E9 275.356E9 92.979E9 14483.4 14483.4 0.0 0.0
0.49517 3505.52 308.30E9 308.30E9 237.242E9 86.607E9 12478.7 12478.7 0.0 0.0
0.56729 3256.66 264.08E9 264.08E9 203.220E9 80.459E9 10689.2 10689.2 0.0 0.0
0.63941 3016.86 224.80E9 224.80E9 172.987E9 74.534E9 9098.9 9098.9 0.0 0.0
0.71153 2786.13 190.06E9 190.06E9 146.252E9 68.834E9 7692.7 7692.7 0.0 0.0
0.78365 2564.46 159.49E9 159.49E9 122.735E9 63.357E9 6455.7 6455.7 0.0 0.0
0.85576 2351.87 132.77E9 132.77E9 102.167E9 58.105E9 5373.9 5373.9 0.0 0.0
0.92788 2148.34 109.54E9 109.54E9 84.291E9 53.077E9 4433.6 4433.6 0.0 0.0
1.00000 1953.87 89.49E9 89.49E9 68.863E9 48.272E9 3622.1 3622.1 0.0 0.0
---------------------- TOWER FORE-AFT MODE SHAPES ------------------------------
1.5460 TwFAM1Sh(2) - Mode 1, coefficient of x^2 term
-3.9085 TwFAM1Sh(3) - , coefficient of x^3 term
7.5434 TwFAM1Sh(4) - , coefficient of x^4 term
-5.7722 TwFAM1Sh(5) - , coefficient of x^5 term
1.5913 TwFAM1Sh(6) - , coefficient of x^6 term
-1.9254 TwFAM2Sh(2) - Mode 2, coefficient of x^2 term
1.2339 TwFAM2Sh(3) - , coefficient of x^3 term
1.9331 TwFAM2Sh(4) - , coefficient of x^4 term
1.1854 TwFAM2Sh(5) - , coefficient of x^5 term
-1.4269 TwFAM2Sh(6) - , coefficient of x^6 term
---------------------- TOWER SIDE-TO-SIDE MODE SHAPES --------------------------
1.8689 TwSSM1Sh(2) - Mode 1, coefficient of x^2 term
-6.1827 TwSSM1Sh(3) - , coefficient of x^3 term
12.1786 TwSSM1Sh(4) - , coefficient of x^4 term
-9.4995 TwSSM1Sh(5) - , coefficient of x^5 term
2.6347 TwSSM1Sh(6) - , coefficient of x^6 term
-1.8795 TwSSM2Sh(2) - Mode 2, coefficient of x^2 term
1.5692 TwSSM2Sh(3) - , coefficient of x^3 term
1.3983 TwSSM2Sh(4) - , coefficient of x^4 term
1.8867 TwSSM2Sh(5) - , coefficient of x^5 term
-1.9747 TwSSM2Sh(6) - , coefficient of x^6 term

and here is the command window errors:

There is CurrMod in NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat, but why is there an error?

Great thanks!

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

It is not obvious to me what is causing the input file processing error. As with any such error, I would recommend enabling the Echo option to debug.

A few hours before, you posted a separate error regarding a small angle assumption violation in the platform. Did you fix the input file processing error already and run a simulation? I’m surprised by the error you are receiving because, from your input files, you’ve disabled the platform rotation DOFs (roll, pitch, yaw).

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Yes, you are right, I have fixed the input file processing error about " a small angle assumption violation in the platform" by disabling the platform rotation DOFs (roll, pitch, yaw). This is the echo file.I don’t know why the forum doesn’t allow me to upload files. I found that there is not anything about Current in it.

This file of echoed input was generated by FAST (v7.02.00d-bjj, 20-Feb-2013) on 30-Mar-2022 at 11:27:49.

Turbine input data from file “NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Onshore.fst”:

NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine for Use in Offshore Analysis.

---------------------- SIMULATION CONTROL --------------------------------------
T Echo - Echo input to “echo.out”
1 ADAMSPrep - ADAMS preprocessor mode
1 AnalMode - Analysis mode
3 NumBl - Number of blades
5.0000E+02 TMax - Total run time
1.2500E-03 DT - Integration time step
---------------------- TURBINE CONTROL -----------------------------------------
0 YCMode - Yaw control mode
9.9999E+03 TYCOn - Time to enable yaw control
1 PCMode - Pitch control mode
0.0000E+00 TPCOn - Time to enable pitch control
2 VSContrl - Variable-speed-generator control switch
9.9999E+03 VS_RtGnSp - Rated generator speed for simple variable-speed generator control
9.9999E+03 VS_RtTq - Rated generator torque/constant generator torque in Region 3 for simple variable-speed generator control
9.9999E+03 VS_Rgn2K - Generator torque constant in Region 2 for simple variable-speed generator control
9.9999E+03 VS_SlPc - Rated generator slip percentage in Region 2 1/2 for simple variable-speed generator control
2 GenModel - Generator model
T GenTiStr - Start generator based upon T: time or F: generator speed
T GenTiStp - Stop generator based upon T: time or F: generator power = 0
9.9999E+03 SpdGenOn - Generator speed to turn on the generator
0.0000E+00 TimGenOn - Time to turn on generator
9.9999E+03 TimGenOf - Time to turn off generator
1 HSSBrMode - HSS brake model
9.9999E+03 THSSBrDp - Time to initiate deployment of the HSS brake
9999.9 TiDynBrk - Time to initiate deployment of the dynamic generator brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (s)
9.9999E+03 TTpBrDp(1) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TTpBrDp(2) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TTpBrDp(3) - Time to initiate deployment of tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TBDepISp(1) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TBDepISp(2) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TBDepISp(3) - Deployment-initiation speed for the tip brakes
9.9999E+03 TYawManS - Time to start yaw maneuver
9.9999E+03 TYawManE - Time to end yaw maneuver
0.0000E+00 NacYawF - Final nacelle-yaw angle for maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManS(1) - Time to start pitch maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManS(2) - Time to start pitch maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManS(3) - Time to start pitch maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManE(1) - Time to end pitch maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManE(2) - Time to end pitch maneuvers
9.9999E+03 TPitManE(3) - Time to end pitch maneuvers
0.0000E+00 BlPitch(1) - Initial pitch angle
0.0000E+00 BlPitch(2) - Initial pitch angle
0.0000E+00 BlPitch(3) - Initial pitch angle
0.0000E+00 BlPitchF(1) - Final pitch angle for maneuvers
0.0000E+00 BlPitchF(2) - Final pitch angle for maneuvers
0.0000E+00 BlPitchF(3) - Final pitch angle for maneuvers
---------------------- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------
9.8067E+00 Gravity - Gravitational acceleration
---------------------- FEATURE FLAGS -------------------------------------------
T FlapDOF1 - First flapwise blade mode DOF
T FlapDOF2 - Second flapwise blade mode DOF
T EdgeDOF - First edgewise blade mode DOF
False TeetDOF - Rotor-teeter DOF (flag) [unused for 3 blades]
T DrTrDOF - Drivetrain rotational-flexibility DOF
T GenDOF - Generator DOF
T YawDOF - Yaw DOF
T TwFADOF1 - First tower fore-aft bending-mode DOF
T TwFADOF2 - Second tower fore-aft bending-mode DOF
T TwSSDOF1 - First tower side-to-side bending-mode DOF
T TwSSDOF2 - Second tower side-to-side bending-mode DOF
T CompAero - Compute aerodynamic forces
F CompNoise - Compute aerodynamic noise
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------------
0.0000E+00 OoPDefl - Initial out-of-plane blade-tip deflection
0.0000E+00 IPDefl - Initial in-plane blade-tip deflection
0.0 TeetDefl - Initial or fixed teeter angle (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0000E+00 Azimuth - Initial azimuth position for blade 1
1.2100E+01 RotSpeed - Initial or fixed rotor speed
0.0000E+00 NacYaw - Initial or fixed nacelle-yaw angle
0.0000E+00 TTDspFA - Initial fore-aft tower-top displacement
0.0000E+00 TTDspSS - Initial side-to-side tower-top displacement
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION -----------------------------------
6.3000E+01 TipRad - Preconed blade-tip radius
1.5000E+00 HubRad - Preconed hub radius
1 PSpnElN - Number of the innermost blade element which is still part of the pitchable portion of the blade for partial-span pitch control [1 to BldNodes] [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (-)
0.0 UndSling - Undersling length [distance from teeter pin to the rotor apex] (meters) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0000E+00 HubCM - Distance from rotor apex to hub mass
-5.0191E+00 OverHang - Distance from yaw axis to rotor apex or teeter pin
1.9000E+00 NacCMxn - Downwind distance from tower-top to nacelle CM
0.0000E+00 NacCMyn - Lateral distance from tower-top to nacelle CM
1.7500E+00 NacCMzn - Vertical distance from tower-top to nacelle CM
8.7600E+01 TowerHt - Tower height
1.9626E+00 Twr2Shft - Vertical distance from tower-top to rotor shaft
0.0000E+00 TwrRBHt - Tower rigid base height
-5.0000E+00 ShftTilt - Rotor shaft tilt angle
0.0 Delta3 - Delta-3 angle for teetering rotors (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
-2.5000E+00 PreCone(1) - Blade coning angle
-2.5000E+00 PreCone(2) - Blade coning angle
-2.5000E+00 PreCone(3) - Blade coning angle
0.0000E+00 AzimB1Up - Azimuth value to use for I/O when blade 1 points up
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA ----------------------------------------
0.0000E+00 YawBrMass - Yaw bearing mass
2.4000E+05 NacMass - Nacelle mass
5.6780E+04 HubMass - Hub mass
0.0000E+00 TipMass(1) - Tip-brake mass
0.0000E+00 TipMass(2) - Tip-brake mass
0.0000E+00 TipMass(3) - Tip-brake mass
2.6079E+06 NacYIner - Nacelle yaw inertia
5.3412E+02 GenIner - Generator inertia about HSS
1.1593E+05 HubIner - Hub inertia about rotor axis
---------------------- DRIVETRAIN ----------------------------------------------
1.0000E+02 GBoxEff - Gearbox efficiency
9.4400E+01 GenEff - Generator efficiency
9.7000E+01 GBRatio - Gearbox ratio
F GBRevers - Gearbox reversal flag
2.8116E+04 HSSBrTqF - Fully deployed HSS brake torque
6.0000E-01 HSSBrDT - Time for HSS-brake to reach full deployment once initiated
DynBrkFi - File containing a mech-gen-torque vs HSS-speed curve for a dynamic brake [CURRENTLY IGNORED] (quoted string)
8.6764E+08 DTTorSpr - Drivetrain torsional spring
6.2150E+06 DTTorDmp - Drivetrain torsional damper
---------------------- SIMPLE INDUCTION GENERATOR ------------------------------
9.9999E+03 SIG_SlPc - Rated generator slip percentage
9.9999E+03 SIG_SySp - Synchronous (zero-torque) generator speed
9.9999E+03 SIG_RtTq - Rated torque
9.9999E+03 SIG_PORt - Pull-out ratio
---------------------- THEVENIN-EQUIVALENT INDUCTION GENERATOR -----------------
9.9999E+03 TEC_Freq - Line frequency
9998 TEC_NPol - Number of poles
9.9999E+03 TEC_SRes - Stator resistance
9.9999E+03 TEC_RRes - Rotor resistance
9.9999E+03 TEC_VLL - Line-to-line RMS voltage
9.9999E+03 TEC_SLR - Stator leakage reactance
9.9999E+03 TEC_RLR - Rotor leakage reactance
9.9999E+03 TEC_MR - Magnetizing reactance
---------------------- PLATFORM ------------------------------------------------
2 PtfmModel - Platform model switch
PtfmFile - Name of file containing platform properties
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat”
---------------------- TOWER ---------------------------------------------------
20 TwrNodes - Number of tower nodes used for analysis
TwrFile - Name of file containing tower properties
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Tower_Monopile_CS.dat”
---------------------- NACELLE-YAW ---------------------------------------------
9.0283E+09 YawSpr - Nacelle-yaw spring constant
1.9160E+07 YawDamp - Nacelle-yaw damping constant
0.0000E+00 YawNeut - Neutral yaw position
---------------------- FURLING -------------------------------------------------
F Furling - Read in additional model properties for furling turbine
FurlFile - Name of file containing furling properties
“FurlFile”
---------------------- ROTOR-TEETER --------------------------------------------
0 TeetMod - Rotor-teeter spring/damper model {0: none, 1: standard, 2: user-defined from routine UserTeet} (switch) [unused for 3 blades]
0.0 TeetDmpP - Rotor-teeter damper position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetDmp - Rotor-teeter damping constant (N-m/(rad/s)) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetCDmp - Rotor-teeter rate-independent Coulomb-damping moment (N-m) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetSStP - Rotor-teeter soft-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetHStP - Rotor-teeter hard-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetSSSp - Rotor-teeter soft-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0.0 TeetHSSp - Rotor-teeter hard-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
---------------------- TIP-BRAKE -----------------------------------------------
0.0000E+00 TBDrConN - Tip-brake drag constant during normal operation
0.0000E+00 TBDrConD - Tip-brake drag constant during fully-deployed operation
0.0000E+00 TpBrDT - Time for tip-brake to reach full deployment once released
---------------------- BLADE ---------------------------------------------------
BldFile(1) - Names of files containing blade properties
NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat
BldFile(2) - Names of files containing blade properties
BldFile(3) - Names of files containing blade properties
---------------------- AERODYN -------------------------------------------------
ADFile - Name of file containing AeroDyn parameters
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_AeroDyn.ipt”
---------------------- NOISE ---------------------------------------------------
NoiseFile - Name of file containing aerodynamic noise parameters
“NoiseFile”
---------------------- ADAMS ---------------------------------------------------
ADAMSFile - Name of file containing ADAMS-specific properties
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_ADAMSSpecific.dat”
---------------------- LINEARIZATION CONTROL -----------------------------------
LinFile - Name of file containing FAST linearization parameters
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Linear.dat”
---------------------- OUTPUT --------------------------------------------------
T SumPrint - Print summary data to “*.fsm”
1 OutFileFmt - Format for output file(s)
T TabDelim - Use tab delimiters in text output file
OutFmt - Output format for text tabular data
“ES10.3E2”
0.0000E+00 TStart - Time to begin tabular output
1 DecFact - Decimation factor for tabular output
1.0000E+00 SttsTime - Amount of time between screen status messages
-3.0953E+00 NcIMUxn - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU
0.0000E+00 NcIMUyn - Lateral distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU
2.2334E+00 NcIMUzn - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU
1.9120E+00 ShftGagL - Distance from hub or teeter pin to shaft strain gages
0 NTwGages - Number of tower “strain-gage” output stations
TwrGagNd - List of tower nodes that have strain gages

3  NBlGages       - Number of blade "strain-gage" output stations
           BldGagNd    - List of blade nodes that have strain gages

5 9 13
OutList - The next line(s) contains a list of output parameters. See OutList.txt for a listing of available output channels, (-)
OutList - Output list
“PtfmTDxi, PtfmTDyi, PtfmTDzi”
OutList - Output list
“PtfmTVxi, PtfmTVyi, PtfmTVzi”
OutList - Output list
“PtfmTAxi, PtfmTAyi, PtfmTAzi”
OutList - Output list
“PtfmTAxt , PtfmTAyt , PtfmTAzt”
OutList - Output list
“YawBrFxp , YawBrFyp , YawBrFzp”
OutList - Output list
“YawBrMxp , YawBrMyp , YawBrMzp”
OutList - Output list
“TwrBsFxt , TwrBsFyt , TwrBsFzt”
OutList - Output list
“TwrBsMxt , TwrBsMyt , TwrBsMzt”
OutList - Output list
“NcIMUTAxs , NcIMUTAys , NcIMUTAzs”
OutList - Output list
“END”

Platform input data from file “.\NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Platform_Monopile_CS.dat”:

---------------------- FEATURE FLAGS (CONT) ------------------------------------
T PtfmSgDOF - Platform surge DOF
T PtfmSwDOF - Platform sway DOF
F PtfmHvDOF - Platform heave DOF
F PtfmRDOF - Platform roll DOF
F PtfmPDOF - Platform pitch DOF
F PtfmYDOF - Platform yaw DOF
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS (CONT) -------------------------------
0.0000E+00 PtfmSurge - Initial or fixed platform surge
0.0000E+00 PtfmSway - Initial or fixed platform sway
0.0000E+00 PtfmHeave - Initial or fixed platform heave
0.0000E+00 PtfmRoll - Initial or fixed platform roll
0.0000E+00 PtfmPitch - Initial or fixed platform pitch
0.0000E+00 PtfmYaw - Initial or fixed platform yaw
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION (CONT) ----------------------------
2.0000E+01 TwrDraft - Downward distance from ground [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to tower base platform connection
2.0000E+01 PtfmCM - Downward distance from ground [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to platform CM
2.0000E+01 PtfmRef - Downward distance from ground [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to platform reference point
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA (CONT) ---------------------------------
7.0000E+05 PtfmMass - Platform mass
0.0000E+00 PtfmRIner - Platform inertia for roll tilt rotation about the platform CM
0.0000E+00 PtfmPIner - Platform inertia for pitch tilt rotation about the platform CM
0.0000E+00 PtfmYIner - Platform inertia for yaw rotation about the platform CM
---------------------- PLATFORM (CONT) -----------------------------------------
1 PtfmLdMod - Platform loading model switch
---------------------- TOWER (CONT) --------------------------------------------
1 TwrLdMod - Tower loading model switch
6.0000E+00 TwrDiam - Tower diameter in Morison’s equation
1.0000E+00 TwrCA - Normalized hydrodynamic added mass coefficient in Morison’s equation
1.0000E+00 TwrCD - Normalized hydrodynamic viscous drag coefficient in Morison’s equation
---------------------- WAVES ---------------------------------------------------
1.0270E+03 WtrDens - Water density
2.0000E+01 WtrDpth - Water depth
2 WaveMod - Wave kinematics model switch
3 WaveStMod - Model switch for stretching incident wave kinematics to instantaneous free surface
3.6300E+03 WaveTMax - Analysis time for incident wave calculations
2.5000E-01 WaveDT - Time step for incident wave calculations
5.0000E+00 WaveHs - Significant wave height
1.2400E+01 WaveTp - Peak spectral period
WavePkShp - Peak shape parameter
“DEFAULT”
0.0000E+00 WaveDir - Wave heading direction
123456789 WaveSeed(1) - First random seed
1011121314 WaveSeed(2) - Second random seed
True WaveNDAmp - Normally-distributed amplitudes in incident waves spectrum (flag) [used only when WaveMod=2 or 3]
“Dummy” GHWvFile - Root name of GH Bladed files containing wave data (quoted string) [used only when WaveMod=4]

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

Are you saying that when you enable the platform rotation DOFs, the simulation runs but you receive an (expected) error regarding large platform rotation. But when you disable the platform rotation DOFs and change nothing else with the model, that you receive an input file processing error about CurrMod?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Yes, the fact is just as you said.

Dear Xu.Pengfei,

This behavior is not what I would expect. I’m not sure what the problem is. I would suggest compiling in debug mode to identify the problem.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Because the consideration is the offshore wind turbine, so I turned platform model “PtfmModel” to 2 (fixed bottom offshore). Is there any problem with that? I found that I changed the parameter to 1 (Onshore) and then the calculations went successfully. As you mentioned “compiling in debug mode to identify the problem”, does it mean that I need to recompile FAST_Seismic? I forgot to tell you that I use FAST_iwin32_DLL in Fast_Seismic2.0 to execute the .fst with fixed bottom offshore wind turbine in consideration.

Great thanks!

Dear @Xu.Pengfei,

There should be no problem setting PtfmModel to 2 when running the Seismic version of FAST v7.

Yes, I’m suggesting recompiling the Windows executable of the Seismic version of FAST v7 in debug mode.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say that you “use FAST_iwin32_DLL in Fast_Seismic2.0”. Please clarify.

Best regards,
"

Dear Jason,

FAST_iwin32_DLL.exe is the compiled executable in the zip package you sent me, it is ok to run the 6 example cases in Fast_seismic with this executable.
I will recopile the Windows executable of the Seismic version of FAST v7 in debug mode and see the result then come back to consult with you, thank you.