Simulink + Generator model Questions

Dear Amit,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Algebraic loops are common in Simulink models and the solution approach you’ve used is common. More information regarding algebraic loops and their solution can be found in the forum topic found here: Error Running Test01_SIG.

2. I’ll let others provide Simulink examples as I don’t use Simulink for controls design myself. To use FAST’s intrinsic controllers when running FAST within Simulink, set PCMode to 1 or YCMode to 1 for pitch control and yaw control, respectively. Routines PitchCntrl and UserYawCont are compiled along with the other FAST source code in the creation of the FAST S-Function used in Simulink (the *.mexw32 file). Changing routines PitchCntrl and UserYawCont requires a recompile of the FAST S-Function.

3. Wind turbine controls engineers often use wind data with step changes in wind speed (for pitch control) or wind direction (for yaw control) to first test new controllers. AeroDyn’s so-called “hub-height wind data file” format can be used to implement these types of winds. Of course, one should eventually test controllers with realistic full-field turbulent wind generated by TurbSim across a range of operational conditions.

4. The electrical power (GenPwr) is an indirect input to the FAST S-Function because it is used only for output purposes as described in my June 30, 2011 post in the forum topic found here: FAST_SFunc.

Best regards,