Who's doing what with the met tower data?

What are you using the met tower data for?

• Class exercise
  • Research at graduate school
  • Research at a different institution
  • Comparison with another data source
  • Data assimilation into a forecasting model
  • Model validation

0 voters

If you are using the data from the met towers, we’d be very interested to know what you are using it for. A quick reply with some details would be appreciated!

Hello,

I am primarily using the M4 tower data (both 10 min averaged data and the 20Hz data). I am interested in comparing the spectral characteristics of the various instruments. By using the 10 minute data, I can compare how the spectral characteristics change by the day, week, month, or season. Using the 20Hz data allows similar spectral comparisons for much smaller turbulence time scales.

Eventually, I hope to branch out and use the M5 tower data simultaneously to see spatial correlations between the two towers, especially at turbulence scales.

Happy researching!
Everett

Hi everyone,

Right now I’m using the 20 Hz M4 Tower data to examine the importance of phase in wind inputs as it relates to turbulence. We’re particularly interested in the effects this will have on accumulated fatigue damage in turbines and are investigating whether standard wind simulation methods adequately capture the wind characteristics that cause the most fatigue damage. I’ve just gotten started on this project, so I’m sure that the direction will evolve with time, but this is the current plan.

All the best,

Jenni

Hi all,

I’m using the M4 tower data to validate Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model simulations. My overall goal is to compare WRF large-eddy simulations (LES) centered on the NWTC at ~50-m horizontal resolution to the M4 tower data to determine the extent of turbulence that WRF is able to recreate at the site. The mountainous terrain to the west of the NWTC has made getting the synoptic and local flows correct at the site a challenge. From just looking at M2 and M4 tower data, it seems like there is rarely a dull day at the NWTC, flow-wise. I will be presenting these results at a poster presentation at the 2013 North American Wind Energy Academy if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Mike

1 Like