User defined wind

hello ,
l’m chen,
i’m going to input my own wind feild into FAST. so i changed the “NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps” ./ “WindType” to 6.
so, my question is how can i input my own wind feild?
if i changed the “WindType” to 6 ,how can FAST read my wind feild?
do i need to create a new file ?
how do my input wind feild format must looks like? do the format same as the turbsine output?
if it’s possible can someone give me a example about user defined windtype that i can follow it .

In short, i’m going to input the wind feild by my own program.i have no idea how can fast read?
thank you

Dear Chen,

If your own wind data is not in one of the standard formats usable by the InflowWind module of OpenFAST (i.e., uniform, TurbSim, Bladed, or HAWC formats), you either convert the format to one of the supported formats, or implement support for your own wind data within the IfW_UserWind.f90 source file. The latter (WindType = 6 option) requires that you update the sample IfW_UserWind.f90 source file provided and recompile OpenFAST. See the InflowWind User’s Guide for more information: https://www.nrel.gov/wind/nwtc/assets/downloads/InflowWind/InflowWind_Manual.pdf.

Best regards,

thank for your reply,
but i can’t find my IfW_UserWind.f90 file , can you tell me where it exist ? or i need to download it?
so the ’ WindType= 6 option ’ will read the file named IfW_UserWind.f90, and i need to recompile my own wind data that it can read,am i right?
thank you, i appreciate.

Dear Chen,

In the main branch of OpenFAST v3.0, you can find IfW_UserWind.f90 here: openfast/IfW_UserWind.f90 at main · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub. IfW_UserWind.f90 is a source file of OpenFAST; you’ll need to edit this file and recompile OpenFAST to make use of the WindType = 6 option.

Best regards,

thanks for your reply,
“IfW_UserWind.f90” is write by fortran , but i don’t have any basic of fortran.
is there any example that i can follow it?
i have my own data that is similar to turbine output data,i have a mesh include all the turbine and also the time history of all point in the mesh

Dear Chen,

The IfW_UserWind.f90 source file provides a template for you to fill in. The key thing to do is to complete SUBROUTINE IfW_UserWind_CalcOutput(). The Time and X,Y,Z positions where wind is requested (PositionXYZ) are inputs to this routine and the U,V,W velocities at these positions (Velocity) are what you you must provide as the output. You may also need to complete other SUBROUTINEs such as IfW_UserWind_Init() if you need to initialize parameters or read data in from a file or IfW_UserWind_End() if you need to deallocate data.

Best regards,