Step wind change input

Dear all,

I was trying to implement a step wind change at certain time as an input but, it is possible?

I did not see nothing on documentation and neither in the code.

Thanks in advance,
JOE

Dear Joe,

It is easy to specify wind input to FAST v8 with step changes by using “uniform wind” files. See the documentation supplied with the InflowWind module for instructions: wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/InflowWind_Manual.pdf. In older versions of FAST, the “uniform wind” files were called “hub-height” wind files and were entered in the AeroDyn input file instead of an InflowWind input file.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for you fast answer. I found it!

Best regards,
JOE

Dear Jason,

I am also looking for ways to create steady, uniform wind files that have either a constant rate of change or staircase-like step changes in the wind speed for an OpenFAST v2.3.0 turbine model.

In the “UAE_Upwind_Rigid_WRamp_PwrCurve” r-test, the wind speed ramp is achieved through the use of a .wnd file (WindType=2 in the InflowWind input file). I looked up the TurbSim User Manual (version 1.06.00) but didn’t find any mentioning of how to create that kind of wind file.

Then I came across this forum post and I’d like to learn more. However the link to the Inflow Wind User Manual is broken and I could not find any other source online. Could you re-share this document?

Thank you,
Jing

Dear Jing,

The uniform wind data files can be created by hand or with simple scripts.

As I announced here: http://forums.nrel.gov/t/other-news/846/1, the drive.google.com/file/d/1-yJox2 … sp=sharing.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the link to the User Manual!

Upon taking a look at the “PwrCrv.wnd” file used for the “UAE_Upwind_Rigid_WRamp_PwrCurve” r-test, now it’s clear to me how I should set up the wind file.

Best regards,
Jing