Running IEA-15-240-RWT with BeamDyn instead of Elastodyn

I already made quite some computations with the IEA-15-240-RWT model with the ElastoDyn blade model, but did not succeed so far in using the BeamDyn blade model instead.
I was wondering what other changes are required (other than changing the switch and reducing the time step) to successfully run the BeamDyn model.

The error I receive is :

FAST_InitializeAll:InitModuleMappings:BD_2_AD_BladeMotion(1):MeshMapCreate:CreateMotionMap_L2_to_L
2:CreateMapping_ProjectToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (9.22863E-05 m)
InitModuleMappings:AD_2_BD_BladeLoad(1):MeshMapCreate:CreateLoadMap_L2_to_L2:CreateMapping_Project
ToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (9.22863E-05 m)
InitModuleMappings:BD_2_AD_BladeMotion(2):MeshMapCreate:CreateMotionMap_L2_to_L2:CreateMapping_Pro
jectToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (1.00418E-04 m)
InitModuleMappings:AD_2_BD_BladeLoad(2):MeshMapCreate:CreateLoadMap_L2_to_L2:CreateMapping_Project
ToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (1.00418E-04 m)
InitModuleMappings:BD_2_AD_BladeMotion(3):MeshMapCreate:CreateMotionMap_L2_to_L2:CreateMapping_Pro
jectToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (1.00333E-04 m)
InitModuleMappings:AD_2_BD_BladeLoad(3):MeshMapCreate:CreateLoadMap_L2_to_L2:CreateMapping_Project
ToLine2:Found close value for node 1. (1.00333E-04 m)

Time: 0 of 1200 seconds.

FAST_Solution:FAST_AdvanceStates:B1:BD_GA2:BD_DynamicSolutionGA2:Solution does not converge after
the maximum number of iterations
FAST_AdvanceStates:B3:BD_GA2:BD_DynamicSolutionGA2:Solution does not converge after the maximum
number of iterations

OpenFAST encountered an error at simulation time 0 of 1200 seconds.
Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting OpenFAST.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan van der Heul

Hello Duncan,
What time step are you using? The model works for me with a time step of 0.2 ms (DT=0.0002). We’re well aware of the excessive computational costs caused by such tiny time step and we’re actively working on a new coupling scheme between ElastoDyn and BeamDyn (and SubDyn) that we hope we’ll substantially improve things.
Let me know.
Best regards,
Pietro Bortolotti

Dear Pietro,
Thank you for replying to my question.
I was indeed using a larger time step than you suggested and will try again with the timestep size you propose.

Kind regards,
Duncan van der Heul