Obtaining Aerodynamic Coefficients in AeroDyn v.14

Dear all,

I am running the DTU 10MW RWT, which was set to work with FAST V. 8.12 and AeroDyn v.14.04. I have noticed that unlike v.15, v.14 of AeroDyn does not include an output section in which I can indicate the desired output parameters. For this case I need TSR, Ct, Cp and Cq. Of course I could just calculate them back from the obtained values of wind speed, rpm, thrust and power, but I want to verify that the simulation values are also correct.

Could you please let me know how to proceed in this respect?

Thank you in advance. With kind regards,

Ivan Rojas
M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Technology
Wind Energy
Delft University of Technology

Dear Ivan,

Without customizing the source code, it is not possible in FAST v8 with AeroDyn v14 to directly output TSR, Ct, Cp, and Cq. If you upgrade your model to use AeroDyn v15 instead of v14, you can output these parameters through AeroDyn v15.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Does this mean that I can simply change the version being called from the .fst file and add the output section on the AeroDyn file or do I need to re-write the Aero files?

Best regards,

Ivan Rojas
M.Sc. Sustainable Energy Technology
Wind Energy
Delft University of Technology

Dear Ivan,

To upgrade from AeroDyn v14 to AeroDyn v15, you’ll need to:

1. Create a new set of AeroDyn v15 input files (primary, blade, and airfoil); you can use the MATLAB conversion scripts provided in the FAST archive to help with this – see the FAST v8 ReadMe file for more information: wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf.
  2. Change CompAero in the FAST primary (*.fst) input filefrom 1 to 2.
  3. Change AeroFile in the FAST primary (*.fst) input file to the proper file name of the new AeroDyn v15 primary input file.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dear Jason,

As per your suggestion, I have created the primary, blade and airfoil files for AeroDyn v15 and changed the CompAero and the AeroFile name on the .fst. However, when I run it (with FAST 8.12) an error while trying to read AirDens pops up. I even checked with the AeroDyn15.dat file from the NREL 5.0MW and they are exactly the same format. If I try to run it with FAST 8.16 (adding the linearization and visualization sections on the .fst file) I get errors reading the simple cylinder airfoil file. What could be the cause of this problem?

Thank you for your valuable help.

Best regards,

Dear Ivan,

It sounds like there is some problem with the format of your AeroDyn v15 input file. I suggest that you use the Echo option from the AeroDyn primary input file to debug errors in the input-file processing.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you very much, indeed the Echo has been really helpful for this purpose. However, now I have an issue with the airfoil files: “NonDimArea” and “NumCoords” not found on line #1. Therefore, I would appreciate if you could please share with me the FAST v8.12 zip in order to compare the Aeordyn v15 files for the NREL 5.0 MW.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Dear Ivan,

I’ve followed up via e-mail.

Best regards,

Dear Ivan,

I was wondering if you successfully converted the DTU 10-MW RWT blades from AeroDyn v14 to AeroDyn v15? If so, would you be willing to share the files?

Thanks,
Adam

Hi all,

I was also trying to run the DTU 10-MW RWT by FAST v8.16 and Aerodyn v15. But there are some errors. The error message on the command window are:

forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception - access violation
…
forrtl: severe (28): CLOSE error, unit 7, file “Unknown”

Have anyone run the DTU 10MW RWT by Aerodyn v15 successfully? I would really appreciate if you can share the input files.

Best regards.
Xiaoqi Qu

Hello everyone,

If anyone did manage to obtain the input file for AeroDyn v15 of the DTU 10MW wind turbine I would love to receive it as well.

Thanks in advance!
Jan

Dear all,

I am also interested in obtaining the AeroDyn v15 input files for the DTU 10MW RWT. Has anyone succeeded in converting the AeroDyn v14 input files? If so, could you please send them to me?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
Christophe