Conversion of input files & Tuned mass damper parameters

Dear @Jason.Jonkman ,

Sorry for bothering you.

I have a couple of questions :

1- i work on openfast v2.1
I tried to make linearisation, it gives an error. I searched and i knew that linearization is not available for openfast v2.1. Am i correct ?

2- When i downloaded OpenFast v2.1, i didn’t find Turbsim. So i was wondering if Turbsim for OpenFast v3.0 would work for OpenFast v2.1 ??

3- Concerning structural control using TMDs, does this feature work for OpenFast v2.1 ?
I am askin because there is some features in the fast file or ServoDyn but they didn’t work !!!

4- In a previous discussion, i asked about converting input files to be compatible with higher versions of OpenFast. Frankly, i didn’t understand what you told me. I downloaded the toolbox present on github : matlab-toolbox/ConvertFASTversions at main · OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox · GitHub
i didn’t find files for conversion from OpenFast v2.1 to OpenFast v3.0
correct me please if i am wrong

Best regards,

Dear @Riad.Elhamoud,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Linearization functionality has evolved with different releases of OpenFAST. Not all linearization functionality from newer versions of OpenFAST are available in older versions. What error are you receiving?

2. The ability to process TurbSim output has not changed between OpenFAST v2.1 and v3.0, so, yes, you can use the newer version of TurbSim with an older version of OpenFAST.

3. The structural control functionality was greatly enhanced between OpenFAST v2.1 and v3.0. Again, what error are you receiving?

4. As I said, the MATLAB conversion scripts have not been updated in a while, so, you will not find a script to convert from OpenFAST v2.1 to v3.0, but the functionality is generally applicable and may help you automate the process a bit. You’ll likely need to update the scripts manually if you want a script that converts from OpenFAST v2.1 to v3.0. The online documentation explaining how the input files have changed with each release of OpenFAST is likely important in this regard: 4.1.2. API changes between versions — OpenFAST v3.1.0 documentation.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dear @Jason.Jonkman

Here my answers

1.When i put linearization equals True in fst file (OpenFast v2.1) i obtain :

FAST_InitializeAll:FAST_Init:ValidateInputData:Linearization is not implemented for the HydroDyn
module.
ValidateInputData:Linearization is not implemented for any of the mooring modules.
FAST encountered an error during module initialization.
Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR
Aborting OpenFAST.

1. I’m talkin about the structural control input file. I didn’t find it in the OpenFast Github repository.
    Fortunately, i found an example in the OpenFast documentation.
    4.2.12.1. Input Files — OpenFAST v3.3.0 documentation

But i don’t know how to add it to ServoDyn and also i don’t know if this file works with OpenFast v2.1
I meant in my first question the linearization in OpenFast v2.1 did not work.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Dear @Riad.Elhamoud,

OpenFAST v2.1 did not support linearization with HydroDyn and moorings enabled. And the structural control functionality was greatly enhanced in recent versions of OpenFAST. I suggest upgrading to the newest version of OpenFAST, currently v3.1. The documentation I linked to above mentions how your input files can be upgraded.

Best regards,

1 Like