Compatible input files for 10MW and 15MW reference turbines

Dear Readers,

Are the relevant input files for 10MW and 15MW wind turbines compatible with FAST v7 available? Would request someone to guide for the preparation of the 10MW/15MW wind turbine and monopile support structures in FAST v7 if possible.

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

I’m not aware that old FAST v7 models of the IEA Wind 10-MW and 15-MW reference wind turbines have been developed. These reference turbines were developed after the transition from FAST v7 to the new modularization framework of FAST v8 and OpenFAST. The OpenFAST models are available in the links below. You’d have to convert the input files to FAST v7 for compatibility:

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Ideally what files shall I be converting? Blade input files, tower, monopile?
Is there a separate control DLL for the bigger turbines?

I request some advice on making the files compatible with FAST v7.

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

You’ll have to change most if not all of the input files for compatibility with the format of FAST v7.

We developed MATLAB-based conversion scripts to aid from converting FAST v7 to FAST v8 (matlab-toolbox/ConvertFAST7to8.m at main · OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox · GitHub), but not the other way around, and these scripts were never updated for OpenFAST. Regardless, these scripts may be a useful starting point if you don’t want to do the conversion manually. I would also suggest reviewing the documentation on input file conversion from the FAST v8 ReadMe file (https://openfast.readthedocs.io/en/main/_downloads/5f2ddf006568adc9b88d8118dc3f1732/FAST8_README.pdf) and OpenFAST (4.1.2. API changes between versions — OpenFAST v3.3.0 documentation).

Best regards,

Also, Sir
Is there a specific monopile for the 10MW (couldn’t find it) and the 15MW (I found the monopile details for 15MW on the same link above) turbines?
Also, I see that the input for airfoils has some files with coordinates (x/c, y/c), unlike FAST v7. It would be helpful if you could tell me what that means in the context of preparing a 10MW in FAST v7.

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

The IEA Wind 15-MW reference wind turbine includes a reference monopile. I’m not aware of a monopile design for the IEA Wind 10-MW, but that doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. Perhaps someone else on this forum can comment.

The airfoil shape is not needed in the BEM solve, and so, is not needed in FAST v7. In OpenFAST, the airfoil shape can be used, e.g., for surface visualization of the blade when animating the turbine response (which is not functionality supported by FAST v7).

Best regards,

Dear Sir,

So, can I just skip the files with coordinate details for the blades in FASTv7?
And proceed with the data files with the input files with the static aerodynamic coefficients?

Also, I notice a major difference in the tower input files between the FAST v7 and OpenFAST.
The openfast tower input files do not have some of the structural property columns, such as Torsional stiffness, unlike the FAST v7 input files.
Do I need to include those columns to make it compatible? If yes, how can I calculate the missing tower property columns to make openfast tower input files work in FAST v7?

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

Regarding the airfoil coordinates, I agree that these details are not needed in FAST v7,

Regarding tower torsion and other distributed tower properties that exists in FAST v7, but not in the ElastoDyn module of OpenFAST, these extra columns are only needed for the FAST-to-ADAMS preprocessor. You can leave those columns blank if you you are not using the FAST-to-ADAMS preprocessor in FAST v7.

Best regards,

Dear Sir,

How can I implement the controller for the 10MW or 15 MW in the FAST v7?

Do I just need a DLL file similar to the 5MW? If not, what can be done to get the controller implemented?
I see that these larger turbines utilise the ROSCO controller toolbox to produce input files to work with openfast. On the other hand, I believe DLL can be produced to work with the Bladed. How can I make DLL utilizing ROSCO to be compatible with FAST v7. I intend to use the seismic module of FAST v7.

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

The DLL controllers implemented in ROSCO should be compatible with FAST v7, unless they rely on arguments in the avrSWAP array that were added between FAST v7 and OpenFAST, in which case these arguments would need to be added to the FAST v7 source code.

Best regards,

Dear Sir,

If I understand correctly, do I need a DLL for the larger turbine to be placed in the folder with the input files with FAST v7 ?

Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

Yes, unless you set the path to the DLL you want to use in the DLL_FileName variable in the BladedDLLInterface.f90 file, if you are compiling FAST v7 yourself.

Best regards,

I intend to use the .exe FAST with bladed style dll distributed within the FAST v7 Seismic Archive. Will it still work?

Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

Yes, the Seismic version of the FAST v7 executable supplied in the FAST Seismic archive v2.00 is compiled with the Bladed-style DLL interface.

Best regards,

Sorry for the vague description in my previous post.

I meant to know whether the baseline controller (Bladed DLL compiled) (which is available in the seismic archive) will work fine with the larger turbines (10MW and 15MW) if I change the input files in the FAST seismic module (if I change the blade, tower, and platform files)??

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

The baseline controller DLL provided with the FAST v7 Seismic archive is for the land-based version of the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine. If you wish to update the input files to model a different turbine, you’ll need to update the controller as well. If you are referring to the IEA Wind 10- or 15-MW reference wind turbines, there are ROSCO controller DLLs provided with these models.

Best regards,

Dear Sir,

Would the DLLs made using the ROSCO work with FASTv7 Seismic module (i.e, with the already provided .exe in the archive) ?

Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

I would think so, but this may depend on if the ROSCO controller you are using uses elements of the avrSWAP array that were not included in FAST v7, but are included in newer versions of OpenFAST. It is probably easiest to just try it and find out.

Best regards,

how do I convert the table for the location of the blade nodes where the forces are provided for a dynamic model to make it compatible with the 10MW IEA wind turbine specifications? I intend to use the FAST v7 Seismic Module distributable.

Thanks
Subham

Dear @Kashyap.Subham,

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to convert the table of distributed aerodynamic properties from an AeroDyn v15 model to an AeroDyn model compatible with FAST v7?

Best regards,