Bladed style gust generation

Dear Janson
I am working on bladed .I am facing problem with generation of gust in bladed .Is there any possibility in open fast bladed style gust generation?

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

I can’t really comment because I’m not familiar with “Bladed style gust generation”.

That said, the InflowWind module of OpenFAST does support uniform wind data files that support the IEC-style deterministic gust cases (EOG, ECD, etc.), if that is what you are referring to.

Best regards,

Dear Jason
Yes, I need IEC-style deterministic gust cases (EOG, ECD, etc.). I could not get any information related to IEC-style deterministic gust cases (EOG, ECD, etc.) in the Turbsim.inp file. If this .inp file will generate IEC-style deterministic gust cases (EOG, ECD, etc.), then is it possible to get the wind file, which is suitable to DNV BLADED (i mean .wnd file for BLADED)?

best regards
suresh

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

TurbSim can be used to generate full-field turbulent wind data files, but it cannot be used to generate deterministic wind gusts (EOG, ECD, etc.) from the IEC standards. For these gust events, IECWind can be used: IECWind | Wind Research | NREL. That said, I’m not sure if the uniform wind files generated by IEC are compatible with Bladed.

Best regards,

Dear Jason
I have created the IEC wind file but it has had the gust for some time (say 40 s to 50 s only). Again we need to call this file to the inflow wind file for generating a new wind file?

with regards
Suresh

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

I’m not really understanding your question. Have you ran IECWind to generate the uniform wind data files? You can run simulations with the IECWind-generated uniform wind data files in OpenFAST by selecting WindType = 2 in InflowWind, with the file generated by IECWind specified via Filename_Uni in InflowWind.

Best regards,

Dear Jason
Thank you for your response
If I want to generate the gust in the below figure. What are all changes I
gust
need to make in the inflow wind file?

with regards
Suresh

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

Your figure looks to be a gust event within background turbulence. You can run TurbSim many times (with different seeds) with a normal Kaimal spectrum and isolate the simulations that have the desired gust events. You can also use the TIMESR feature of TurbSim and prescribe your own time series at a point with the gust you want and construct the rest of the turbulent wind field constrained to that. Alternatively, you can model discrete wind gusts (without turbulence) via the uniform wind type in InflowWind. The IECWind preprocessor can generate uniform wind data files for all of the gust events called out within the IEC standards (EOG, ECD, etc.).

Best regards,

Thank you, Jason.
I am unable to generate the gust file as shown in the above figure. Could you please tell me if is there any proper procedure to generate Gust or any readily available file?

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

I provided general guidance with alternative approaches to generate such a gust case in my prior post. What issue are you running into?

Best regards,

Dear Jason. Thank you for the reply.
I have generated a gust without turbulence, but I want to generate a gust with turbulence. Could you please help me with this

with regards
Suresh

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

I suggested two solutions in my prior post about how to generate a gust with turbulence:

1. Run TurbSim many times (with different seeds) with a normal Kaimal spectrum and isolate the simulations that have the desired gust events.
  2. Use the TIMESR feature of TurbSim and prescribe your own time series at a point with the gust you want and construct the rest of the turbulent wind field constrained to that.

Best regards,

Dear Jason. Thank you for your response.
I have used the second solution from your prior post (Use the time series feature). Unfortunately, I have got the following error. Could you please tell me what the following errors mean?

Here I have attached a screenshot of the time series data text file, which I have generated manually (which includes Gust between 120 seconds to 150 seconds)

" Reading the input file “UserTimeSeries.inp”.

** Reading the user-defined time-series input file “.\UserTimeSeries/srikanth.TimeSer”.**
** ReadInputFile:GetUSRTimeSeries:RefPtID must be between 1 and nPoints (inclusive)."**

with regards
Suresh

Dear Jason
I have made some changes (wind speed-related gust) in the “UserTimeSeries/20140113_164000_inertial_MDR_new.TimeSer” user-specified file. But i have got the following error. Could you please clarify the doubts?

Reading the user-defined time-series input file
“.\UserTimeSeries/20140113_164000_inertial_MDR_new.TimeSer”.
Found 12000 lines of time-series data.
CreateGrid:The lowest grid point (-5 m) must be above the ground. Adjust the appropriate values
in the input file.

with regaRDS
Suresh

Dear @Suresh.Nakkala,

This error in CreateGrid would be caused by an unphysical setting combination of HubHt, GridWidth, and GridHeight in TurbSim.

Best regards,