5MW Onshore Baseline Windturbine simulated by ADAMS

[color=blue]Can I use Adams+AeroDyn to simulate the 5MW wind turbine? Has anyone tried this? When I simulate the Turbine with Adams2005r2, the command window just disappeared after 0.2 seconds.

Thanks

Hi Yinping Yang,

Yes, you can model the NREL 5-MW turbine with ADAMS. Have you successfully compiled the ADAMS.dll with the A2AD and AeroDyn source files? Are you running the simulation with the ADAMS/Solver ru-user command?

[color=blue]Hello Mr. Jonkman,

I have successfully compiled the ADAMS.dll according to the Manual, also done the simulation with ru-user command. I have tested the Test01_ADAMS file stored in CertTest of FAST. It works well. When I run the simulation of NREL-5MW-Onshore turbine, the command window disappears rapidly. In the outlook file , the last information is [color=red]‘Input Phase Complete’. and ’ CPU time is 7.81230E-02 seconds.’ [color=blue]I am also a beginner of using Adams, so till now I have no idea where the problem is.

Again I tested the files from Test01_ADAMS to Test17_ADAMS in CertTest of FAST. The first 10 Test files worked well. Test11-Test17 did not work except Test14. Some tests can run a few seconds (Test11_ADAMS-Test13_ADAMS). In the outlook file, the last line looks like:
[color=red]’ Generating the Jacobian matrix for the dynamics problem.
4.0057E+00 5.0000E-03 2604 894 3’
[color=blue]Maybe the Integrator order 3 is too high? Therefore it stops.
Or due to the singularity the program can not compute.

Some other tests disappeared so quickly that I can not read the information on the screen of the command window (Test15_ADAMS-Test17_ADAMS). In the outlook file it is noly recored till the input complete phase. The Nrel 5 MW turbine is also this case.

Hi Yinping Yang,

You mean that the command window closes itself? I’ve never heard of this happening. How do you initiate the program? I typically open up a command window, type in ADAMS05R2, then run the ru-user command. Are you doing the same?

Perhaps this question would best be answered by MSC technical support.

[color=blue]Thanks for your advice. The way I opens the Adams program caused the problem. I opened adams in this way: Start-All Programs-MSC-Software-MSC.ADAMS2005r2-ADAMS-Command So the command window closes itself when adams aborts the computation. Now as you told me I can run adams correctly.

When I run the Nrel-5MW-Onshore Windturbine model in adams, it aborts after input phase. The message told me GBRatio must be set to 1.0 when using Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine. If I change this value to 1.0, FAST can not compute also. I think the VScontrol is not Kirk Pierce routine. Maybe I need to recompile the adams.dll with the correct VSControl source routine.

Regards

Yinping

Hi Yinping Yang,

The torque and pitch control systems for all of the NREL 5-MW wind turbine models are implemented as a DLL in the style of GH Bladed. So, to run the models with this controller, the FAST.exe and ADAMS.dll must be compiled with the BladedDLLInterface.f90 source file. (NOTE: the BladedDLLInterface.f90 source file replaces Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont routine). The FAST User’s Guide has instructions on how to compile with the BladedDLLInterface.f90 source file.

Best regards,

Hi,

I have compiled the source codes with BladedDLLinterface.f90 replacing the two User routines: PitchCtrl_ACH.f90 and UserVSCont_KP.f90
Also I commented out the four user defined routines in UserSubs.f90.
After compiling, an error came out like this:
[color=blue]Linking…
FAST.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _USERGEN@44
Debug/ FAST.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing Link.exe

Maybe somewhere in the program should I also change ?

Best Regards,

Yinping Yang

Hi Yinping Yang,

The error is telling you that the linker cannot find routine UserGen. The BladedDLLInterface.f90 file does not have a routine UserGen. I suspect you commented out the UserGen routine that you need to keep in the source code.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

I am trying to compile FAST code by myself. In fact, I followed step by step from FAST compiler guideline. Both way (directly compiler or through Visual Studio 2008) were faced the simalar error as discribing below. Note that I tried to use PitchCntrl() controller instead of BladedDLLInterface controller routine.

When I run the NREL-5MW-Onshore Wind turbine model, it aborts after input phase. The message told me GBRatio must be set to 1.0 when using Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine. If I change this value to 1.0, FAST can not compute also. I think the VScontrol is not Kirk Pierce routine.
Could you give me some advise for this problem?

I looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
FAST_Compiler.jpg

Dear ToanThan,

A similar question has already been answered on the forum – please see the Apr 06, 2011 posts in the forum topic found here: FAST.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for kindly response.
In fact, I succeeded FAST compiler with GH Bladed-style DLL according to your suggestion.
If you do not mind, I want to ask further question. According to page 7 of Instructions for Compiling FAST using IVF for Windows ([url]National Wind Technology Center's Information Portal | Wind Research | NREL), we can choose two different controller. One of them is Craig Hansen’s sample pitch controller (PitchCntrl_ACH.f90). What should I prepare so that FAST can use this controller by itself? I am also very interested in it.

Please see attached figure that I was faced trouble with Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine.

Dear ToanThan,

I’m not really sure I understand your question. However, FAST CertTest cases 11-13 (for the WindPACT 1.5-MW baseline turbine) make use of Craig Hansen’s pitch controller, PitchCntrl_ACH.f90, which relies on an input file “Pitch.ipt”. You can examine this model to see how it works. Furthermore, the logic for this pitch controller is described in Appendix E of the WindPACT Rotor Design Study Report: nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/32495.pdf.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.
I have read Craig Hansen’s pitch controller, PitchCntrl_ACH.f90. Thus, I am trying to use this controller for NREL 5MW baseline model. I recompiled FAST program with this controller instead of BladedInterfaceDLL controller as Instructions for Compiling FAST using IVF for Windows. But, I were failed with Kirk Pierce’s UserVSCont() routine error. In order to use this controller for NREL 5MW baseline model, I should use additional input file “Pitch.ipt”. Am I right?

Best regards

Dear ToanThanh,

Kirk Pierce’s variable-speed torque control routine from UserVSCont_KP.f90 does not rely on the “Pitch.ipt” file. Instead, this routine relies upon a file “spd_trq.dat”, which contains a torque-speed curve. The “Pitch.ipt” file is used by Craig Hansen’s pitch controller, PitchCntrl_ACH.f90.

By the way, Kirk Pierce’s torque controller expects that the gearbox ratio, GBRatio, is unity. So, you’ll have to modify GBRatio and the generator intertia, GenIner, within the NREL 5-MW model.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for your reply. Your information is very useful for my study.
By the way, I have some problems that posted in below link. I hope that you can recommend in that case.
[url]NREL Forum - The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)

Best regards