Wind speed estimate - ROSCO Kalman filter

Dear all,
I am trying to obtain as output from an OpenFAST simulation the wind speed estimate given by the Kalman Filter, but I don’t know if it is possible or how to do it. Anyone can help?
I am trying to reproduce the figure 6 from the paper https://wes.copernicus.org/articles/7/53/2022/wes-7-53-2022.pdf (“A reference open-source controller for fixed and floating offshore wind turbines” by N. J. Abbas et al.).
Thanks in advance for a kind response.

Best regards,
Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

If you ensure that LoggingLevel = 1 and WE_Mode = 1 in your DISCON.IN file, there should be an output file with a .dbg extension that includes the channel WE_Vw, which is the wind speed estimate.

Best, Dan

Thanks Dan,
I have already tried that solution, but I don’t know what i do wrong: it doesn’t produce a .dbg file. If you may know what could be the reason, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards, Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Try running the OpenFAST executable from the directory where all the OpenFAST input files and DISCON.IN file are together. I have had some issues with reading inputs when running from an outside directory. We fixed this in a recent pull request that should be available here. Software issues like this might be better addressed in a GitHub issue: Issues · NREL/ROSCO · GitHub. A working example of the issue is helpful.

Best, Dan

Thanks for your help. I will try this suggestion. So far, I have found that the debug file is placed inside the folder C:\Users\Giorgio.

Kind regards,
Giorgio

Dear all,

I am trying to understand the wind speed estimates produced by the ROSCO Kalman filter. In my case, WE_Vw is in rad and not in m/s as a proper wind speed estimate.

In addition, in my .dbg file, I have the following variables: Time (sec), NacIMU_FA_AccF(m/s), WE_Vw (rad), NacIMU_FA_Acc (rad/s^2), FA_Acc (m/s^2), Fl_Pitcom (rad), test (rad/s).

Could anyone provide a hint on how to obtain the correct wind speed estimate?

Best regards,
Ioannis Voultsos.

Hi Ioannis,

In past versions of ROSCO, the units were mislabeled for the wind speed estimate. The values in that output file should be okay and in the most recent version of ROSCO, this has been corrected.

Best, Dan

Dear all,

I am trying to view the results of the .ro.dbg file created by ROSCO v.2.5.0 using the function ROSCOout2Matlab and Matlab has an issue with the format of the file which is read. More specifcially, the code does not expect headers (and ROSCO v.2.5.0 creates a file header) and also there is an issue with the columns that are present in the file and ROSCOout2Matlab tries to read.

Is there a hint on how to overcome this issue?

Best regards,
Ioannis Voultsos.