Using AMR-Wind for running precursor simulations and use them as BCs for turbine simulations focusing on the near wake

Dear all,
I want to use AMR-Wind for running Precursor Simulations. These should be used as an input for actuator line-based wind turbine simulations to study the physical phenomena in the near-wake.
I only started working with AMR-Wind, but for me I see two problems coming up.

1. Using fully periodic boundary conditions can lead to the locking of large-scale turbulent structures. Using SOWFA/OpenFOAM, I have been able to erase them using shifted boundary conditions as described in Munters et al. (2016). In a previous thread (High and low wind speed streaks in LES simulation of a wind farm - #2 by Jason.Jonkman) it was pointed out, that this approach is not implemented in AMR-Wind yet. Has someone tried to implement this? If so, it would be very nice to get some hints on where to start.
  2. In my understanding, using the actuator line method for modelling the tower and the nacelle is not sufficient if near-wake phenomena should be studied.
    Therefore, I would like to mesh both based on an .stl file. I am a bit scared that trying this could cause problems, as AMR-Wind uses a structured grid. Since I did not find any literature on this question it would be genuinely nice if someone could share his/her experience.
    Looking forward for any Input on these points.
    Best regards,
    Jan

Hi Jan, thanks for your inquiry, here are the responses to your questions.

1. We do not have this implemented in amr-wind. I recommend that you open an issue on github to discuss this: Issues · Exawind/amr-wind · GitHub

2. AMR-Wind is a structured solver and cannot resolve the nacelle and tower. If you wanted to do that, you would have to use nalu-wind to resolve the geometry and amr-wind as the background solver. This capability is under development.

Thanks,
Tony

1 Like