TurbSim changing turbulence scale

Hi there,

I am simulating the noise characteristics of a SWRT and creating my wind files with TurbSim. Currently I am using the IEC 61400-2 for the TurbSim input file. I am not too familiar with TurbSim and for my simulations I need to use different turbulence scales and I was wondering if there is a way to change the turbulence scale? I don’t necessarily need to use the IEC standard.
Many thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Jana

Hi, Jana.

There are a lot of ways you can change the turbulence in TurbSim. So, I guess it depends what you mean by “turbulence scale.”

There are several different spectral models to choose from, and each of these give different spectral shapes depending on the input values. If you are using the Kaimal (IECKAI) or von Karman (IECVKM) spectral models, you change the requested turbulence intensity by setting IECturbc to a percentage in the TurbSim input file. For non-IEC models, you can change UStar.

If you want to change the integral scale, it’s a little more difficult, but can be done. Is that what you mean by turbulence scale?

Hi Bonnie,

many thanks for your reply.! I saw that it is possible to change the turbulence intensity in the input file what I am trying to change is the turbulence length scale of the inflow wind and wasn’t able to find out how to do that.
I am sorry for not clarifying this properly in my initial question.

Regards,
Jana

Hi, Jana.

You can, of course, always change the source code and recompile.

However, TurbSim 1.06.00 has some undocumented features that may help you:

[/*:m][/list:u]

I’m in the process of documenting the features in TurbSim v2.0.0. This alpha version has examples in the CertTest folder, and the code is a little more flexible in terms of the coherence models you can use with each of these features. You can test a copy of it here: nwtc.nrel.gov/alphas.

That’s perfect! Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Jana