SOWFA Support

I am also trying to install sowfa in a Linux cluster (Stampede/ TACC). I am using Openfoam 2.2 and the latest SOWFA from github. After running ./Allwclean and the ./Allmake the following error pops out.

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: class “Foam::pimpleControl” has no
member “start”
for (pimple.start(); pimple.loop(); pimple++)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(133): error: no operator “++” matches these operands
operand types are: Foam::pimpleControl ++
for (pimple.start(); pimple.loop(); pimple++)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(135): error: class “Foam::pimpleControl” has no
member “nOuterCorr”
if (pimple.nOuterCorr() != 1)
^

windPlantSolverFAST.C(160): error: class “Foam::pimpleControl” has no
member “nCorr”
for (int corr=0; corr<pimple.nCorr(); corr++)
^

In file included from windPlantSolverFAST.C(162):
pEqn.H(24): error #140: too many arguments in function call

p_rghEqn.solve(mesh.solver(p_rgh.select(pimple.finalInnerIter(corr,
nonOrth))));
^

compilation aborted for windPlantSolverFAST.C (code 2)
make: *** [Make/linux64IccDPOpt/windPlantSolverFAST.o] Error 2

Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I’m having the same exact problem as AhmedJenan.Mostafa.

Hi everyone,

I am facing the same problem as Matthew and Ahmed trying to install SOWFA using OpenFOAM 2.3.1.
Did you come up with a solution to this error?

Hello, all

I am trying to install SOWFA in my laptop(Ubuntu 14.04, OpenFOAM 240).
The downloaded “NREL-SOWFA-dec561a.zip” file was extracted and put under the OF240 directory.
But simply running ./Allwmake does not work.

So I followed the commonld in Allwmake step by step.

The first tens of lines worked.
But the “wmake” in “applications/solvers/incompressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver” part failed.
The message shows “fatal error: XXXXXXX.H: No such file or directory”
so I located the XXXXXX.H file and linked it to this directory and do “wmake” again.

This process repeated many times and then some files “AMIInterpolation*.H” were missing
and I do NOT have these files in my computer.
So I googled the file names and found them in github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/tree/master/src/meshTools/AMIInterpolation/AMIInterpolation
These 6 files were downloaded and linked to this directory.
And the ‘locate-and-link’ process repeated several times.
Then the error message was different. It read:

[power:…pressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver]$ wmake
SOURCE=ABLSolver.C ;  g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3  -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam240/src/turbulenceModels -I/opt/openfoam240/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam240/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam240/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam240/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam240/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude   -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/ABLSolver.o
In file included from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/cyclicAMIFvPatch.H:40:0,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/ddtScheme.C:30,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/ddtScheme.H:325,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvcDdt.C:28,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvcDdt.H:199,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvc.H:44,
                 from /opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/fvCFD.H:8,
                 from ABLSolver.C:48:
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:135:19: error: ‘interpolationMethod’ in ‘Foam::AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation {aka class Foam::AMIInterpolation<Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&>, Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&> >}’ does not name a type
             const AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::interpolationMethod& AMIMethod =
                   ^
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:136:47: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘AMIMethod’ with no type [-fpermissive]
                 AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::imFaceAreaWeight
                                               ^
./cyclicAMIPolyPatch.H:136:17: error: ‘imFaceAreaWeight’ is not a member of ‘Foam::AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation {aka Foam::AMIInterpolation<Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&>, Foam::PrimitivePatch<Foam::face, Foam::SubList, const Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> >&> >}’
                 AMIPatchToPatchInterpolation::imFaceAreaWeight
                 ^
In file included from ABLSolver.C:72:0:
/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readTimeControls.H: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/opt/openfoam240/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude/readTimeControls.H:38:8: warning: unused variable ‘maxDeltaT’ [-Wunused-variable]
 scalar maxDeltaT =
        ^
make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/ABLSolver.o] Error 1
[power:…pressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver]$ 

I got stuck here.
Is it because the AMI*.C/H files from OF22x are not compatiable with my current OF240?
Do I have to go back to OF22X to make it work?
Thanks for any help!

Hi, Danny
I downloaded the “SOWFA-master.zip” from the link in your post and the fastDust tutorial worked, thanks a lot for shearing!
Did you by any chance compile the other solver in the file and does it work?
I tried but got similar error as shown in the above post.

I tried contacting some people at NREL and didn’t get a response. Quite disappointing that 3 people are reporting the same problem with no resolution from the programmers. I would really like to use this program. It’s looking like a dream at this point though.

Hi, Matthew (and others).

Sorry you haven’t received any response to your questions. If it helps, I can tell you the SOWFA team is working to update their code to use FAST v8 and OpenFOAM without modifications, which will hopefully resolve most of the install/compiling issues specific to SOWFA. I don’t know exactly when they are planning to release it, but hopefully in the next month or two.

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you very much for this information. This is great to hear and I look forward to the next release.

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to install SOWFA on Ubuntu 14.04 with OpenFOAM 2.3.1. Running Allwmake gives errors which appear from the WindPlantSolver part that seems to be earlier in the script than most of you.

Making dependency list for source file windPlantSolver.C could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file windPlantSolver.C due to No such file or directory SOURCE=windPlantSolver.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/windPlantSolver.o windPlantSolver.C:55:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H" ^ compilation terminated. make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/windPlantSolver.o] Error 1 Making dependency list for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C due to No such file or directory SOURCE=pisoFoamTurbine.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o pisoFoamTurbine.C:38:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H" ^ compilation terminated. make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o] Error 1 Making dependency list for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H for source file pisoFoamTurbine.C due to No such file or directory SOURCE=pisoFoamTurbine.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o pisoFoamTurbine.C:38:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H: No such file or directory #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesADM.H" ^ compilation terminated. make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/pisoFoamTurbine.o] Error 1 Making dependency list for source file turbineTestHarness.C could not open file horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H for source file turbineTestHarness.C due to No such file or directory SOURCE=turbineTestHarness.C ; g++ -m64 -Dlinux64 -DWM_DP -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wold-style-cast -Wnon-virtual-dtor -O3 -DNoRepository -ftemplate-depth-100 -I/opt/openfoam231/src/turbulenceModels/incompressible/turbulenceModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels -I/opt/openfoam231/src/transportModels/incompressible/singlePhaseTransportModel -I/opt/openfoam231/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/meshTools/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/fvOptions/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/sampling/lnInclude -I/home/fabien/OpenFOAM/fabien-2.3.1/src/turbineModels/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/opt/openfoam231/src/OSspecific/POSIX/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64GccDPOpt/turbineTestHarness.o turbineTestHarness.C:34:43: fatal error: horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H: No such file or directory #include "horizontalAxisWindTurbinesALM.H" ^ compilation terminated. make: *** [Make/linux64GccDPOpt/turbineTestHarness.o] Error 1 ./Allwmake: line 126: cd: src/openfast/bin: No such file or directory make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. ./Allwmake: line 128: ./libmake: No such file or directory ./Allwmake: line 131: cd: src/fastturb: No such file or directory wmake: 'Make' directory does not exist in /home/fabien Searching up directories tree for Make directory wmake error: could not find Make directory wmake error: file 'Make/files' does not exist in /home/fabien ./Allwmake: line 135: cd: applications/solvers/incompressible/windEnergy/windPlantSolverFAST: No such file or directory wmake: 'Make' directory does not exist in / Searching up directories tree for Make directory wmake error: could not find Make directory wmake error: file 'Make/files' does not exist in /

I would really appreciate if someone has any tips to understand the source of the errors and come up with the problem.

Bonnie, would you know if the new version is about to be released ?

Thank you in advance,

Fabien

Hi Fabien.

Unfortunately, I have not heard when the SOWFA team plans to release any new code. Funding in the new fiscal year is tight, and they told me they wanted to unify some of the different versions before releasing something. I would guess it will be several months, yet.

Dear Users

Regarding the compilation errors of windPlantSolverFAST.C in Matthew’s post and others,

Anybody know or manage to fix this bugs ?

Is there a newer version of SOWFA, an update maybe, regarding those errors ??

It was said here that FAST V8 should overcome these problems.

Can anyone Please post here an update/help regarding this issue

ThankU

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install SOWFA 2.0.x in a virtual machine (VMware Workstation 12). My version of OpenFoam is 3.0.x installed in geekoCFD (x86-64bit version 7.0.0). I followed README.SOWFA. When I did “Run ./Allwmake”. I see the compilation errors. It seems that there are some header files missed, like GenEddyVisc.H and LESModel.H.

I figure out that the update in OpenFoam 3.0.x for the turbulence model may cause the fall of compilation. OpenFoam 3.0.0 reorganizes the .H and .C files about the Turbulence Model. We cannot find the files named GenEddyVisc anymore.

I have no idea about what to do next. Should I return to OpenFoam 2.0.x or there are other solutions? Thank you.

I should also think sincerely M. Jonkman Bonnie accepted my request to activate account in Forum.

Best Regards,

Ru Li

Hello everyone,

I am a SOWFA user (Ph.D Student in University of Wyoming). I am confusing about the “schemeBlending” section.
What does it do and why we need it in ABLTerrainSolver?

Thanks
Yi

Dear SOWFA users,

About the scheme blending question above, I have a problem when I try to run the ABLSolver (OpenFOAM 2.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04). After creating the mesh, changing “buoyantPressure” for “fixedFluxPressure” in 0/p_rgh and setting initial field with setFieldsABL, I get the message:

[code]–> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
keyword faceSizeBlendingTable is undefined in dictionary “/home/holivares/OpenFOAM/holivares-2.3.1/run/tutorial_test2/generic.neutral/system/fvSchemes.schemeBlending”

file: /home/user/OpenFOAM/user-2.3.1/run/generic.neutral/system/fvSchemes.schemeBlending from line 76 to line 81.

From function dictionary::lookupEntry(const word&, bool, bool) const
in file db/dictionary/dictionary.C at line 437.

FOAM exiting[/code]

so there is a library definition for “faceSizeBlending” within fvSchemes that is missing. After looking at the syntax of the requested entry in SOWFA/applications/solvers/incompressible/windEnergy/ABLSolver/createDivSchemeBlendingField.H it seems that a matrix of 3X3 is needed. Moreover, it seems that a list for every cell is also required, which I supposed should be generated at preprocessing but I cannot exactly see which utility would that be (by looking at the runscript).

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thank you,

Hugo

Was “SOWFA + Super Controller” (and the custom version of OpenFOAM that went with it) ever publicly released? If not, is there any way to get a copy of it?

Thanks,
Eric

Hello everyone,

I am new to OpenFOAM and just begin to use SOWFA. My version of OpenFoam is 2.3.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I downloaded the latest SOWFA from github. I have already run the precursor ABL case successfully, but I just don’t know how to save the precursor data as inflow boundary conditions which will be further used in the windPlant case. I have read about the former suggestion that something can be find in github.com/OffWind/offwind/tree … BL/neutral (like “makeBoundaryDataFiles.south.sh” and “makeBoundaryDataFiles.west.sh”), but I still failed to get any useful data. Following the instruction, nothing can be found in the boundaryData folder. Can anyone tell me how to run it correctly? Please give me more detailed instructions.

Thanks a lot.

Dear Hugo,

Have you managed to resolve this issue? I am struggling with similar problems.

Cheers,
Bart

I am glad to hear that you managed to install SOWFA together with OF2.3 which is exactly what I am trying to do as well. I have managed to do the compilation after some addings mainly in the options files but am now running into problems during execution of the tutorial precursorABL. I have therefore a general question. Did you just compile the original downloaded version of SOWFA or did you update it first with any changes before compilation and if so with which ones?

//Sam

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install OpenFOAM 2.0.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.5. I think I am almost done but came across this error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfast
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I guessed the error was due to a missing libfast.so. I searched all the source files and online but could not find it. Does anyone know how to find or generate this lib file or any steps I missed during the installation? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Sincerely,
Zhongyou

Hi Zhongyou,

I met same problem. My Ubuntu version is 12.04 and OpenFOAM is 2.0.x. I used the SWOFA package they updated last September. My error is as below:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfast
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I tried to compile the latest version of SOWFA (just update this Feb.), but more errors come out.

Have you solved this problem? If so, can you explain how you solve it? Thanks!