Simulink and PI controller from Discon.dll

Dear all,

I would like to run simulation with the PI controller provided by the discon.dll file.
I am a beginner with FAST v8 and there is something that I still not understand.
I run a simulation with Matlab and with simulink by using the OpenLoop.mdl file. I set the servodyn file with control of generator and control of pitch to 5 (from discon.dll file).

Is it ok to run with the OpenLoop.mdl file or should I add a feedback in order to have a closed-loop control?

How can I build an ideal closed loop if I need it? I have no idea how to change the openloop.mdl file.

In other words, thd discon.dll controller is it self-sufficing or should I adapt the simulink model to use it?

I am quite lost in my project.
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Audrey

Dear Audrey,

The DISCON.dll provided with the NREL 5-MW baseline turbine models is self-sufficient for baseline control of normal turbine operation. There is no need to run FAST within Simulink if you are using this controller. The OpenLoop.mdl is provided as a baseline to ensure that FAST runs properly within Simulink and matches results from the standalone FAST executable. The advantage of running FAST within Simulink comes when implementing control logic within Simulink (in place of the DISCON.dll).

I’m not sure what you mean by “ideal closed loop”.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you so much for your explanation. It clarified a lot for me. My simulations were not wrong.
And I am not sure what I mean by “ideal closed loop” either.
Thank you again for your help.

Best regards,
Audrey