Simulation of an offshore Wind turbine 5MW based DFIG

hello everyone i am enter to simulate a 5MW WInd turbine with FAST in cunjunction with simulink
I modeled the 5MW DFIG, a,d i used the input file test 18
when i run the simulation an error occur. It realy blok me
If can someone tell me what means this error please

The error indicates that it can’t find ‘GenSpeed’ in the OutList variable. Make sure you have requested GenSpeed from ElastoDyn, and make sure OutList is initialized properly. See the Simulink initialization section on page 36 of the FAST v8 documentation: wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf.

Hello Mr i cheked the initialization process of the simulated system, but always an other error appear
If you can please tell me what menas exactely this mistake
I will be very greatful by your usful help

The errors I see indicate the problem is type conversions in the DFIG block. One is expecting a complex value, but is sent a real; the other is expecting a real number but getting a complex number. This is outside the scope of the FAST SFunction, so I’m not sure I can help further with this one.

Thank you for your reply Jonkman
I am faced to an error in my simulaion of the 5MW offshore wind turbine based DFIG
When i worked by the wind profile “5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps.dat” the simulation worked well, but when i did just one step of wind speed the error appears

attached a photo of the error if you can suuggest me please what i can do to resolve them

Sinceerly

Dear Ali,

The file CertTest/5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps.dat in the FAST v8.12 CertTest is a primary input file for the InflowWind v3.01 module of FAST. It looks like you made your own input file CertTest/wind.wnd; is this file in the same format as the primary input file for the InflowWind v3.01 module of FAST? (My guess is CertTest/wind.wnd is a file in a wind data format (that should be referenced from the InflowWind primary input file) and not a primary input file in the InflowWind v3.01 format.)

Best regards,

Hello dear Jonson
Thank you very much for your reply
Exactely i dont did attention to the format that you talked,I just created a simple wind profile as this attached
In fact, samply i would like to simulate my system with a simple profile (a step wind speed) tell me please how i can do

Dear Ali,

It looks like your file is in the format of what InflowWind v3 calls a “Uniform Wind File” (previously, AeroDyn’s “hub-height” wind file format). To use this file, set WindType to 2 in the primary InflowWind input file and set Filename to point to your CertTest/wind.wnd file. See the InflowWind User’s Guide for more information: wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/InflowWind_Manual.pdf.

Best regards,

Thenk you dear Jason
I did the modifications in the infloww wind v3( type 2 and i replaced the file name of wind by my profile CertTest\wind.wnd), but even an error occur

Ali,

The InflowWind input file is not your .wnd file. Please look at the example files in the FAST v8 CertTest folder to see how to properly call InflowWind in FAST 8.12; for example, Test03 uses a uniform wind file like you are trying to implement.

Hello Mr Jonkman
An error occured in the simulation of the onshore 5MW WT
If you can please tell me what means, I have the suffisient espace in my placement

And an other error indicate me that S-Function ‘FAST_SFunc’ does not exist" ,even It exists in the path but Matlab doesnt know its format

Attached the first error image
Sinceerly

I have not seen the error about insufficient space from the FAST_SFunc. Are there any messages in the MATLAB command window? That may give you a clue. Otherwise, it may be that you are trying to run a model that can’t be run in the 32-bit version. Have you tried running this with the x64 version of MATLAB (along with FAST_SFunc.mexw64)?

If you are getting an error that the mex file doesn’t exist, that means that MATLAB can’t find the .mex file on its search path (or if there is a mex file there, it may be for the wrong addressing scheme, i.e., w64 instead of w32 or vice versa).

Thank you very much for your help, its solved because i have used a 32 bit in 64 system
Tell me to share with you an other error, this time i thought related to the wind speed profile
In fact, i have searched on this kind of mistake and i found its response such as given in this link Error: FF wind array was exhausted - #2 by Jason.Jonkman
I have generated annoter wind profile with turbsim by modification the parameters( Gridheignt and Gridwidth and also Numgrid_Z and Numgrid_Y) in the wind file input, but without feasability, always an error occurs that you found attached. You found also the Turbsim file input of wind
If you would konw that i have use test18 of 5MW land wind turbine

Messages in MATLAB command window
Warning: block ‘PMSGWT/FAST Nonlinear Wind Turbine/S-Function’:
FAST_Solution:FAST_AdvanceStates:ED_ABM4:SetCoordSy:Small angle assumption violated in SUBROUTINE SmllRotTrans()
due to a large blade deflection (ElastoDyn SetCoordSy). The solution may be inaccurate. Simulation continuing, but
future warnings from SmllRotTrans() will be suppressed.
Additional debugging message from SUBROUTINE SmllRotTrans(): 0.1375 s

FAST_Solution:CalcOutputs_And_SolveForInputs:SolveOption2:AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3
element #17 is supersonic! Other elements are likely supersonic as well. Supersonic mach nos. will be set to 0.7
to attempt continuation.

FAST_Solution:CalcOutputs_And_SolveForInputs:SolveOption2:AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic
condition has subsided with Blade #1 element #4.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #17 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
supersonic as well. Supersonic mach nos. will be set to 0.7 to attempt continuation.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has subsided with Blade #2 element #4.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #17 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
supersonic as well. Supersonic mach nos. will be set to 0.7 to attempt continuation.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has subsided with Blade #3 element #4.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3 element #17 is supersonic! Other elements are likely

FAST_Solution:CalcOutputs_And_SolveForInputs:SolveOption2:AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has subsided with Blade #2 element #4.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has subsided with Blade #3 element #4.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely

AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3 element #16 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
WARNING: High VT velocity encountered during induction factor calculation.
Blade number 3, Element number 17
VNW = 3.0435, VT = -408.11

AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
Blade number 1, Element number 17
VNW = 5.2892, VT = -411.69
Blade number 2, Element number 17
VNW = 5.6725, VT = -404.23
Blade number 3, Element number 17
VNW = 2.8375, VT = -428.33

AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #3 element #15 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
WARNING: High VNB velocity encountered during induction factor calculation.
Blade number 1, Element number 3
VNW = 5.4167, VNB = -113.44
WARNING: Induced velocity warning written 5 times. The message will not be repeated, though
the condition may persist.

AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #10 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has subsided with Blade #1 element #13.
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #1 element #14 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Blade #2 element #13 is supersonic! Other elements are likely
AD14_CalcOutput:ELEMFRC:BeddoesModel:ATTACH: Supersonic condition has s

FAST completed.
wind.txt (6.17 KB)

Dear Ali,

My guess is that the problem is not with the wind file, but that your model is going numerically unstable for some reason.

Warnings regarding a “small angle approximation violation,” warnings regarding “supersonic blades,” a simulation crash, or very large deflections that occur in the time series near the start of a simulation are good signs of a numerical instability. Without knowing more about your simulation settings, it’s hard to know that what the problem is. Please use “Search…” in the upper right of the forum to search for “supersonic” to see how we’ve solved similar problems in the past.

Best regards,

Dear Mr Jonson
In my simulation of 5MW NREL WT with a profile wind generated by Turbsim, the simulation works well until a moment of time it cuts about 60 to 70 seconds
I thought to the profile of wind and hence I changed it, and the error always occurs
If you can please point us the reason of the problems

Dear Ali,

According to the error message you are receiving, it looks like your wind file stores 88.6 seconds of data, but your simulation is trying to access data at 88.611 seconds. You’ll need to run TurbSim longer to run longer FAST simulations; normally, TurbSim is run for over 10-minutes in length.

Best regards,

Thank you so much for your response
Please I am wondering somes output parameters clarification :
Bending moments at the main bearing at 0° and 90° are respectively LSSTipMya and LSSTipMza
What means Rotating shear force at the main bearing, and what are the outputs in FAST related to the parameters at 0° and 90°.

Sinceerly yours

Dear Ali,

I’m sorry, but I’m not really sure I understand your question. A few comments:

• Normally ElastoDyn input parameter ShftGagL is used to locate the main shaft bearing from the rotor apex. The outputs at the main bearing then have names starting with “LSSGag”. The outputs with names starting with “LSSTip” are at the end (tip, rotor apex) of the low-speed shaft (LSS).
  • Normally “0° and 90°” refer to measurements normal to each other such as LSSGagMya and LSSGagMza, or LSSGagMys and LSSGagMzs.
  • “Rotating” and “nonrotating” refers to whether the output load is in a coordinate system that spins with the shaft or fixed in the nacelle. The shaft system (“s”) does not spin with the shaft; the azimuth system (“a”) does spin with the shaft.
  • E.g. output LSSGagMya is orthogonal to LSSGagMza and both are expressed in a coordinate system that spins with the shaft. Output LSSGagMys is orthogonal to LSSGagMzs and both are expressed in a coordinate system that is fixed in the nacelle.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Thank you for your explication
These are the rotating and the non rotating bending moment at the shaft’s strain gage, its right.
But I found in some paper the output “Rotating shear force at the main bearing” to quantify I think the loads at the main bearing
Tell me if I am wright and what is the output related to that

Dear Ali,

The rotating and nonrotation shear force outputs at the main bearing are named LSSGagFya and LSSGagFza (rotating) and LSSGagFys and LSSGagFzs (nonrotating).

Best regards,