Questions regarding the Kp gains of ROSCO in Region 2

Dear Jason, Bonnie, or Nikhar,

I am working on the ROSCO control tuning but I have a question regarding the Kp gain in Region 2. The paper (Nikhar et al 2019) mentions that the A is parameterized by wind velocity, but I only found a single Kp in the ROSCO controller for NREL5MW, DTU10MW, and IEC15MW. I read the ROSCO code and Simulink model and there is no scheduling process for Kp(v). Recently, I found there is an option in the ROSCO_toolbox ([url]ROSCO_toolbox/controller.py at 8ac261d15354dcbdfa645af75a74de29a23c55a6 · NREL/ROSCO_toolbox · GitHub), which scheduled the Kp based on the wind velocity vector below the rated wind speed and also has an option to specify a wind speed to interpolate the Kp gain at this point.

Does this mean the single Kp_vs in the ROSCO DISCON.IN is interpolated at a fixed wind speed? If so, what is this specific wind speed? If else, what is the condition? Thank you

Reference:
Abbas, N.J., A. Wright, and L. Pao. An Update to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory Baseline Wind Turbine Controller. in Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 2020.

Hi Xianping,

This is admittedly not very clear - sorry about that!

The region two gain schedule is, technically, scheduled by v and calculated at each wind speed. In the ROSCO toolbox, this happens here:
github.com/NREL/ROSCO_toolbox/b … er.py#L252

When the DISCON.IN file is written, the last value in the vs_gain_schedule is used:
github.com/NREL/ROSCO_toolbox/b … es.py#L123

So, this corresponds to, basically, rated wind speed, as it is the wind speed coresponding to the last value in v_below_rated as defined here: github.com/NREL/ROSCO_toolbox/b … er.py#L161

I hope this clears things up for you.

Cheers,
Nikhar

Hi Nikhar,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I also found this operation in writing DISCON.IN. Have a good evening!

Xianping

Dear Dr @Nikhar.Abbas
Please helps, when proceeding to executing rosco control for nrel 5MW in simulink FAST V8, I found parameters missing
How to get these parameters please
and what look like these errors

Dear @Ali.Elyaakoubi,

The script FAST2Matlab.m is included in the MATLAB Toolbox: matlab-toolbox/FAST2MATLAB at main · OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox · GitHub. From the error, it doesn’t sound like you have the MATLAB Toolbox installed and accessible.

Best regards

Normally in FAST V8, it is not needed this script, how we can proceed with this script to execute openFast dear @Jason.Jonkman

Dear @Ali.Elyaakoubi,

I’m not sure I understand. Can you clarify what you are trying to do? What script are trying to execute?

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman, i want to execute rosco model in simulink. Please tell me how to get the controller parameters as mentioned in screenshot

Thank you in advance

Dear @Ali.Elyaakoubi,

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand your question. Please clarify.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman, please how to fix this error when executing rosco model in simulink

Thanks

Hi,

I think this kind of issue is better suited for the ROSCO GitHub.

It appears that you’re not loading the correct information into the Matlab workspace before running the simulink model. The runFAST.m script was developed for this purpose, but it’s not actively maintained or tested: https://github.com/NREL/ROSCO/tree/main/Matlab_Toolbox

Best, Dan

Dear @Daniel.Zalkind
I have executed the runFAST script, but an error occured always. Can you please let me know what i am did wrong

Best regrads

Hi Ali,

I don’t know what is wrong. We can’t actively maintain these matlab scripts, but don’t want to remove them because they are helpful to some users. I suggest you set a break point at that part of the code and review the error in greater detail. There may be some helpful previous issues and solutions on the GitHub page: Issues · NREL/ROSCO · GitHub

Best, Dan