Question about optimization by using FAST

Dear All

I am doing a parameter optimization by using MATLAB command “fmincon”. In the calculation of cost function, I run the simulink model of FAST-SC with a set of parameters by using command “sim” to get the outputs which will be used to calculate the cost function. I run the “fmincon” command with debug mode and I found that I can not run the simulink model at the second time as the MATLAb will crash. I deleted the “clear all” command in Simsetup.m as I need to use the parameters I obtained in the last step. I am wondering how to fix this as I really want to run the simulink model at every step to find the optimized parameters.

By the way, I think FAST-SC is the same as FAST v6 in the operation of simulation. Because I found that, no matter in FAST-SC or FAST v6, after I run the simulink model, I need to use “clear all” command before I do the simulation next time. Otherwise, the MATLAB will crash. I do not no why but it is really frustrating as I forget to clear all sometimes. I am wondering if there is some mathod to overcome this? I use MATLAB 2015a.

Best

XING WEI

Dear Xing,

I don’t think there is an easy solution in FAST v6 for fixing the issue requiring you to “clear all” before running a subsequent simulation of the coupled FAST-Simulink tool. The problem is related to how data is stored in FAST v6. However, if you upgrade to FAST v8, you shouldn’t need to issue “clear all”. I suggest upgrading to FAST v8. Most of the functionality of the old FAST-SC e.g. the ability to model TMDs has been incorporated in FAST v8.

Best regards,

Dear Jason

Thank you for your advice. I have downloaded FAST 8 and start to use it. While I find some problems with TMD section it incorporated. I have reviewed the TMD input file finding that I can specify the stiffness and damping coefficient there. I am wondering if it possible to import TMD stiffness coefficient, damping coefficient and external force in simulink model which is like FAST-SC has provided. Because I want to use external force to import the force to control TMD in simulink model so I am wondering if it is possible in FAST 8?

Best

XING WEI

Dear Xing,

Unfortunately, the ability to provide actuate the TMD through Simulink is not yet a standard feature of FAST v8. But I’m sure this feature would be possible to add through customization of the source code.

Best regards,