OpenFAST - parsing data from InflowFile.dat

Hi All,

I have encountered an error while running the IEA 15MW Turbine on OpenFAST as detailed below and in the attached image. Also attached is a snippet from IEA-15-240-RWT_InflowFile.dat.

Any help would be greatly be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Breen Elliott

Dear Breen,

It looks like you are running OpenFAST v2.5, but your InflowWind file is formatted for an earlier version. From the OpenFAST online documentation–see: openfast.readthedocs.io/en/mast … hange.html, you’ll see that VFlowAng was added to the InflowWind primary input file between OpenFAST v2.4 and OpenFAST v2.5.

Best regards,

Thanks for your help Jason!

Kind regards,
Breen

Hello Everyone,
I have encountered the same error while running the 15MWatt_dev/IEA-15-240-RWT model with Openfast 2.5.0.

A fatal error occurred when parsing data from
“Desktop\OpenFAST\IEA-15-240-RWT_InflowFile.dat”.
The variable “VFlowAng” was not found on line #7

So I replaced the line #7 in the InflowFile.dat by “0 VFlowAng - Upflow angle (degrees) (not used for native Bladed format
WindType=7)” accoring to the documentation.

Now, I have encountered another error in line 8. Below is the error message?
Am I missing something, please? Please can I find a properly formated file already compatible with my version of Openfast for a test?
Thank you very much

OpenFAST input file heading:
IEA 15 MW offshore reference model monopile configuration

Running ElastoDyn.
Nodal outputs section of ElastoDyn input file not found or improperly formatted.
Running AeroDyn.
Nodal output section of AeroDyn input file not found or improperly formatted.
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 1, blade 1)
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 2, blade 1)
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 1, blade 2)
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 2, blade 2)
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 1, blade 3)
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. (node 2, blade 3)
Running InflowWind.

FAST_InitializeAll:InflowWind_Init:InflowWind_ParseInputFileInfo:ParseInVar:

A fatal error occurred when parsing data from
“C:/Users/rapho/WORKSTATION/15MWatt_dev/IEA-15-240-RWT/OpenFAST/IEA-15-240-RWT-Monopile/…/IEA-15
-240-RWT/IEA-15-240-RWT_InflowFile.dat”.
The variable “NWindVel” was not found on line #8.

FAST encountered an error during module initialization.
Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting OpenFAST.

Dear Raphael,

You shouldn’t replace line #7, but add VFlowAng to line #7, shifting NWindVel to line #8 (likewise shifting all other lines down by one). An example of the an InflowWind input file for OpenFAST v2.5 is available in the corresponding r-test: github.com/OpenFAST/r-test/blob … _12mps.dat.

Best regards,