OpenFAST v3.0.0 – MoorDyn.dat execution error

Dear all,

I’m using OpenFAST v3.0.0 (precompiled) on a Win 10 x64 machine to run the IEA 15-240-RWT-UMaineSemi floating wind turbine (downloaded from the IEAWindTask37 github repository). This is my first run with OpenFAST so I’m using all the given values in this reference turbine.

When executing OpenFAST, MoorDyn is giving the next error (full output next): OpenFAST_command_output.txt (2.72 KB)

Running MoorDyn (v1.01.02F, 8-Apr-2016).
  MD_Init: Opening MoorDyn input file:  C:\Users\gerar\OpenFAST_precompiled
  (v3.0.0)\examples\IEA-15-240-RWT\OpenFAST\IEA-15-240-RWT-UMaineSemi\IEA-15-240-RWT-UMaineSemi_Mo
  orDyn.dat

FAST_InitializeAll: MD_Init:MDIO_ReadInput:Failed to read line data for Line 1

OpenFAST encountered an error during module initialization.
 Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting OpenFAST.

I’ve opened MoorDyn’s input (MoorDyn.dat) and ECHO files (MD.ech, both attached), from where one can see that OpenFAST doesn’t get to read the “Line Properties” section correctly, however, after comparing it with other recent public reference models (such as the COREWIND ActiveFloat Semisub and WindCrete spar), I have no clue why OpenFAST is throwing this error.

MoorDyn_input.txt (3.99 KB)
MoorDyn_echo.txt (745 Bytes)

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gerard Avellaneda

Dear Gerard,

The OpenFAST model of the IEA Wind 15-MW reference turbine atop the UMaine-semisubmersible that you are using from the github repository is set up for OpenFAST v2.4. Several inputs have changed between OpenFAST v2.4 and v3.0, as documented in the OpenFAST readthedocs: openfast.readthedocs.io/en/main … hange.html. Included in this set of changes is a new column added to the line properties table of MoorDyn titled CtrlChan, which is used for active control of tendon tensioning. Adding this column (after Flags/Outputs) with the value for each line set to zero (0) should solve the problem in MoorDyn.

Best regards,

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you very much for your prompt response and guidance. That problem is now solved :smiley:

Best regards,
Gerard Avellaneda