Mooring Cable Visualisation

Hi,

I am trying to create a visualisation of the OC3-Hywind Spar. I have successfully created a visualisation of the spar, but it is without the mooring cables. I recently saw a picture of the OC3-Hywind with the mooring cables incuded in some NREL documentation, as included below. I was wondering is the visualisation of the cables possible and if so how can I create a visualisation similar to that included below?

Thanks,
Luke Cunningham

Dear Luke,

I’m assuming you are using the visualization functionality of FAST / OpenFAST based on the generated VTK files. As discussed in the visualization documentation (wind.nrel.gov/nwtc/docs/README_FAST8.pdf), this functionality does not yet support visualization of the mooring lines. (This is because the visualization functionality is based on the mesh data structures used to interconnect modules, and the intermediate nodes along the mooring lines are not stored on these meshes).

The image you attached was produced from a FAST-generated MSC.ADAMS model and visualized with MSC.ADAMS.

You’ll have to make changes to the visualization functionality of FAST / OpenFAST in order to view the mooring lines with VTK files.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

As I understand, we cannot visualize the mooring cables nor the wave surface at the moment with OpenFAST.

Is it possible to visualize the floating platform surfaces ? … for example for the NREL 5MW test cases OC3Spar_DLL_WTurb_WavesIrr or OC4Semi_WSt_WavesWN.

When I write out the VTK files, there are the surfaces of the blades, tower etc, but nothing about the flatform (spar or semi). I use the following options:

---------------------- VISUALIZATION ------------------------------------------
2 WrVTK - VTK visualization data output: }
1 VTK_type - Type of VTK visualization data: (switch)
false VTK_fields - Write mesh fields to VTK data files? (flag) {true/false} [unused if WrVTK=0]

Best regards,

Dear @Salur.Basbug,

There are a few known visualization issues in OpenFAST.

The inability to visualize the wave surface elevation will be fixed in a pending pull request as reported here: visualizing problem · Issue #1363 · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub.

The inability to visualize offshore support structures in HydroDyn and SubDyn is a known issue as reported here: Visualizing Offshore Support Structures · Issue #776 · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub. And the inability to visualize mooring lines in floating wind applications has been a known issue for a while as reported here: Visualize mooring lines with VTK · Issue #539 · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub. These latter two issues have not been addressed by NREL yet, although you can always modify the source code to visualize what you want.

Best regards,

1 Like

Thanks a lot Jason, good to know.

Best regards,