Model a Multi-Turbine Floating Offshore Wind Turbine

Hi, everyone

I’m new to FAST. I need to analyse a multi-turbine floating offshore wind turbine by using FAST. How can I model a new structure with FAST? If FAST does not work on this, how to import new structure into FAST to analyse?

Best,
Shuijin

Dear Shuijin.Li,

Without extensive modifications of the source code, FAST cannot model multiple wind turbines attached to a single floating platform.

Best regards,

Dear Dr Jonkman

Thanks for your reply!

So modelling with FAST is possible, albeit with great difficulty. May I ask is there any manual on how to model with FAST?

I am very grateful that you can help me.

Sincerely,
Shuijin

Dear Shuijin.Li,

Are you asking for documentation on how to use FAST or how to modify the FAST source code?

Best regards,

Hello, Dr Jonkman

I would like to know how to modify the FAST source code.

Thank you,
Shuijin

Dear Shuijin,

NREL does not provide extensive documentation on how to modify the FAST source code. That said, our goal with OpenFAST is to establish an open-source, code-development community for wind energy-related multi-physics applications built around the FAST modularization framework.

I would start by getting a solid understanding of the FAST modularization framework, which is documented here: github.com/OpenFAST/openfast.

Best regards,

Dear Dr Jonkman

Thank you for your reply! These documentations are really helpful! I will learn them and try to contribute my work.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Shuijin