Installing FAST 8 in Linux

Hello everybody,
I hope everyone is doing well.
I am pretty new to FAST and I am trying to installing it on Ubuntu. I am having some problems. I have read the pdf called:“compiling FAST v8.15.00a-bjj” and I was following the steps that wore mentioned. I downloaded the FAST and the map ++ package from the FAST website. i have opened the map ++ folder and searched for the makefile in the src folder as instructed exactly. The problem was that in the terminal when I was trying to run the makefile by entering the command “make” in the terminal, i keep getting this error DOwnloads/map++/src$ make fatal: bad revision 'HEAD' gcc -m64 -g -shared -llapacke -o libmap-1.20.10.so lmder.o dpmpar.o lmpar.o qrsolv.o enorm.o enorm_u.o qrfac.o simplest.o bstrlib.o bstraux.o freedata.o mapinit.o maperror.o lineroutines.o numeric.o outputstream.o mapapi.o lmroutines.o jacobian.o residual.o -lm -llapacke
If you have any guide on how to install FAST in ubunutu , i would be very thankful for your help
i could not identify the exact problem. I have been googling for some time and I was not able to find the problem, so I returned to the experts forums so that i might find some solution for my problem
thank you very much
haggag

Dear Mostafa,

Is there a reason you are using FAST v8.15 rather than the newest version of FAST–OpenFAST v1.0.0? OpenFAST provides better documentation and compiling scripts for Linux than earlier versions of FAST.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
I want to use the 5 MW NREL turbine. I have no reason why I choose fast 8 expect that my supervisor did not what exactly the difference between fast8 and open fast so he prefered that i stick with fast 8.
do you have any idea how can i fix this error ? I have been trying the whole day to fix it but it is not working.
i hope things get better soon
thank you so much

Dear Mostafa,

In general, OpenFAST was established with FAST v8 as its starting point. All future FAST development is happening within OpenFAST. The main differences are summarized here: nwtc.nrel.gov/OpenFAST. In general, I would recommend upgrading to OpenFAST unless you have a specific reason to use an older version.

I have no experience with the makefile or with compiling on Linux, so, I can’t answer your question. (Perhaps someone else on this forum can help?) But again, switching to OpenFAST and using the documentation and compiling scripts provided should help.

Best regards,

Hello!

I saw that some people had same problem as me compiling Fast v8 on Ubuntu (16.04 x64). I got it working now and wanted to share it in case somebody else has similar problems.
I had three problems which in my case could be solved as follows:

1.) Compiling Map++:
Problem:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Solution:
Just ignore it or remove all parts regarding Git from makefile:
-DGITVERSION="$(GIT_VERSION)"
GIT_VERSION := $(shell git describe --abbrev=4 --dirty --always)

2.) Compiling Fast:
Problem:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
Solution:
According to answer from Heartinpiece in askubuntu.com/questions/251978/ … -directory
I added this to the end of the ~/.bashrc :
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/usr/lib32:$LIBRARY_PATH
export LIBRARY_PATH

3.) Compiling Fast:
Problem:
…/bin/libmap-1.20.10.so: error adding symbols: Wrong file format
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
makefile:739: die Regel für Ziel „…/bin/FAST_glin32“ failed
make: *** […/bin/FAST_glin32] Error 1
Solution:
Comment line 15 and uncomment line 16:

32-bit or 64-bit?

#BITS = 32
BITS = 64

The third problem may also appear when compiling the controller.

Best regards,
Jerome