GenPwr comparison between FAST 2.6 and FAST 3.0

Hi @Jason.Jonkman ,
I am studying “UMaineVolturnUS-IEA15MW” model with OpenFAST v2.6.0 and V3.0.0. Plotting the steady state response for GenPwr at 20 mps wind speed give us this (figure attached)

behaviour. Is this due to the change in the controller between 2.6 and 3.0 ? If not can I know what causes this decrease in predicted GenPwr for FAST 3.0?

Note that in order to simplify the model, I have disabled the platform motion DOFs and made the blades rigid.

I would expect the mean generator power to be very close to 15MW given that the platform is fixed and the wind conditions are steady and well above rated wind speed.

I have included separate zip files containing my input files for my OpenFAST v2.6.0 and V3.0.0 models.

Google drive link for the input files

Thank you,
Ashok

Dear @Ashok.Jammi,

I haven’t looked at your input files and I’m not sure what is the key difference resulting in the small change to the mean power, but just a couple comments:

• The OpenFAST release notes for v3.0.0 outline the changes to OpenFAST relative to v2.6.0: Release OpenFAST v3.0.0 · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub. Can you think of anything in this list that would change your results?
  • Do you have any noticeable differences between the solutions if you disable all structural degrees of freedom, which effectively disables the controller? Is there a specific feature of OpenFAST, when enabled, that triggers the difference? This would better help isolate the source of the differences.

Best regards,