Generator Short-circuit simulation: FAST

Hello,

Is there a way to simulate a generator short-circuit in FAST? I have a short-circuit time series. If this could not be used, is there any other way to simulate such an event?

I looked into the FAST manual “Simulating Special Events”, but could not find any specific information on this scenario.

Hope to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Neelabh

Hi,

we implement short circuit events into our BLADED-Style DLL using matlab/simulink.

Regards,
Florian

Dear Neelabh,

When you say you have a “short-circuit time series”, do you mean that you have a specific generator torque as a function of time that reflects a short-circuit condition? You can implement this generator torque time series in FAST through a user-defined torque controller e.g. through the Bladed-style DLL (requires compiling the DLL) or Simulink interface (requires the use of MATLAB/Simulink) as Florian suggested, or through a simple user routine like UserVSCont or UserGen (requiring a recompile of FAST).

Best regards,

Hello Florian and Jason,

Thanks a lot for your response. Indeed it is a generator torque time series reflecting short-circuit.
Will take your suggestions into consideration.

Appreciate it.

Neelabh

Dear Jason,

May you tell me a possibility to implement a generator short-circuit as a user-defined routine in FAST? I want to use my bladed-style DLL until the generator short-circuit occures. By setting a flag value I want to override the generator torque with values for the generator short-circuit.

Thank you again.

Best regards,
René

Dear René,

While it is easy to set up a FAST model to turn off the generator at a specified time, FAST does not have a way through settings in the input file(s) of overriding the torque coming from a controller with something else. However, what you are proposing sounds like a fairly straightforward customization of the source code or controller that you could make yourself.

Best regards,