Error running MoorDyn

Dear Jason,
I am obtaining following error while running FAST for spar platform. I’m attaching the MoorDyn file.

Please help.
Thank you

FAST (v8.15.00a-bjj, 12-Apr-2016)

Copyright (C) 2016 National Renewable Energy Laboratory

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the “license.txt” file distributed with this
software for details.

Running FAST (v8.15.00a-bjj, 12-Apr-2016), compiled as a 32-bit application using single
precision
linked with NWTC Subroutine Library (v2.08.00, 5-Apr-2016)

Heading of the FAST input file:
FAST Certification Test #24: NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine with OC3 Hywind Configuration,
for use in offshore analysis

Running ElastoDyn (v1.03.02a-bjj, 8-Apr-2016).

Running AeroDyn (v15.02.03, 12-Apr-2016).

Running AirfoilInfo (v1.01.00a-bjj, 5-Apr-2016).

Running BEM (v1.01.00a, 12-Apr-2016).

Running InflowWind (v3.02.00a-bjj, 11-Apr-2016).
Opening InflowWind input file: .\5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind.dat

Reading a 10x10 grid (145 m wide, 15.4 m to 160.4 m above ground) with a characteristic wind
speed of 7.9623 m/s. This full-field file was generated by TurbSim (v1.50, 25-Sep-2009) on
10-Dec-2018 at 14:13:09.

Processed 289457 time steps of 80-Hz full-field data (3618.2 seconds).

Running ServoDyn (v1.05.00a-bjj, 11-Mar-2016).

Running ServoDyn Interface for Bladed Controllers (using Intel Visual Fortran for Windows,
14-Oct-2015).

Running HydroDyn (v2.05.00, 15-Mar-2016).
Generating incident wave kinematics and current time history.
Reading in WAMIT output with root name “.\5MW_Baseline/HydroData/hywindspar”.
Computing radiation impulse response functions and wave diffraction forces.

Running MoorDyn (v1.01.02F, 8-Apr-2016).
Creating mooring system. 3 fairleads, 3 anchors, 0 connects.
Finalizing ICs using dynamic relaxation.
t=3 FairTen 1: 5.20511E+08, 5.20609E+08, 5.20485E+08
Fairlead tensions converged to 0.1% after 3 seconds.
Timestep: 0 of 3600 seconds.

FAST_Solution0:CalcOutputs_And_SolveForInputs:SolveOption2:SrvD_CalcOutput:Running with torque
and pitch control of the NREL offshore 5MW baseline wind turbine from DISCON.dll as written by J.
Jonkman of NREL/NWTC for use in the IEA Annex XXIII OC3 studies. Includes modifications for the
Hywind spar.
CalcOutputs_And_SolveForInputs:SolveOption1:ED_HD_InputOutputSolve:LAPACK_SGETRF: U( 12,
12)=0. Factor U is exactly singular.

FAST encountered an error during simulation initialization.
Simulation error level: FATAL ERROR

Aborting FAST.
MoorDyn.txt (2.15 KB)

Dear Sai,

This error doesn’t seem to be related to MoorDyn, as the error is describing a singular matrix in the ElastoDyn-HydroDyn (ED-HD) coupling. I’d assume you get the same error if you use MAP++ or disable the mooring module altogether.

Have you set the platform-yaw inertia to zero in ElastoDyn?

Best regards,

No sir. I have set value for platform yaw inertia. I couldn’t upload the document so I am posting here. Please let me know where I went wrong.

Thank you

------- ELASTODYN v1.03.* INPUT FILE -------------------------------------------
NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine for Use in Offshore Analysis. Properties from Dutch Offshore Wind Energy Converter (DOWEC) 6MW Pre-Design (10046_009.pdf) and REpower 5M 5MW (5m_uk.pdf)
---------------------- SIMULATION CONTROL --------------------------------------
False Echo - Echo input data to “.ech” (flag)
3 Method - Integration method: {1: RK4, 2: AB4, or 3: ABM4} (-)
“default” DT - Integration time step (s)
---------------------- ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITION ---------------------------------
9.80665 Gravity - Gravitational acceleration (m/s^2)
---------------------- DEGREES OF FREEDOM --------------------------------------
True FlapDOF1 - First flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True FlapDOF2 - Second flapwise blade mode DOF (flag)
True EdgeDOF - First edgewise blade mode DOF (flag)
False TeetDOF - Rotor-teeter DOF (flag) [unused for 3 blades]
True DrTrDOF - Drivetrain rotational-flexibility DOF (flag)
True GenDOF - Generator DOF (flag)
True YawDOF - Yaw DOF (flag)
True TwFADOF1 - First fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwFADOF2 - Second fore-aft tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwSSDOF1 - First side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True TwSSDOF2 - Second side-to-side tower bending-mode DOF (flag)
True PtfmSgDOF - Platform horizontal surge translation DOF (flag)
True PtfmSwDOF - Platform horizontal sway translation DOF (flag)
True PtfmHvDOF - Platform vertical heave translation DOF (flag)
True PtfmRDOF - Platform roll tilt rotation DOF (flag)
True PtfmPDOF - Platform pitch tilt rotation DOF (flag)
True PtfmYDOF - Platform yaw rotation DOF (flag)
---------------------- INITIAL CONDITIONS --------------------------------------
0 OoPDefl - Initial out-of-plane blade-tip displacement (meters)
0 IPDefl - Initial in-plane blade-tip deflection (meters)
0 BlPitch(1) - Blade 1 initial pitch (degrees)
0 BlPitch(2) - Blade 2 initial pitch (degrees)
0 BlPitch(3) - Blade 3 initial pitch (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
0 TeetDefl - Initial or fixed teeter angle (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
0 Azimuth - Initial azimuth angle for blade 1 (degrees)
12.1 RotSpeed - Initial or fixed rotor speed (rpm)
0 NacYaw - Initial or fixed nacelle-yaw angle (degrees)
0 TTDspFA - Initial fore-aft tower-top displacement (meters)
0 TTDspSS - Initial side-to-side tower-top displacement (meters)
0 PtfmSurge - Initial or fixed horizontal surge translational displacement of platform (meters)
0 PtfmSway - Initial or fixed horizontal sway translational displacement of platform (meters)
0 PtfmHeave - Initial or fixed vertical heave translational displacement of platform (meters)
0 PtfmRoll - Initial or fixed roll tilt rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
0 PtfmPitch - Initial or fixed pitch tilt rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
0 PtfmYaw - Initial or fixed yaw rotational displacement of platform (degrees)
---------------------- TURBINE CONFIGURATION -----------------------------------
3 NumBl - Number of blades (-)
63 TipRad - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade tip (meters)
1.5 HubRad - The distance from the rotor apex to the blade root (meters)
-2.5 PreCone(1) - Blade 1 cone angle (degrees)
-2.5 PreCone(2) - Blade 2 cone angle (degrees)
-2.5 PreCone(3) - Blade 3 cone angle (degrees) [unused for 2 blades]
0 HubCM - Distance from rotor apex to hub mass [positive downwind] (meters)
0 UndSling - Undersling length [distance from teeter pin to the rotor apex] (meters) [unused for 3 blades]
0 Delta3 - Delta-3 angle for teetering rotors (degrees) [unused for 3 blades]
0 AzimB1Up - Azimuth value to use for I/O when blade 1 points up (degrees)
-5.0191 OverHang - Distance from yaw axis to rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] (meters)
1.912 ShftGagL - Distance from rotor apex [3 blades] or teeter pin [2 blades] to shaft strain gages [positive for upwind rotors] (meters)
-5 ShftTilt - Rotor shaft tilt angle (degrees)
1.9 NacCMxn - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
0 NacCMyn - Lateral distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
1.75 NacCMzn - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle CM (meters)
-3.09528 NcIMUxn - Downwind distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
0 NcIMUyn - Lateral distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
2.23336 NcIMUzn - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the nacelle IMU (meters)
1.96256 Twr2Shft - Vertical distance from the tower-top to the rotor shaft (meters)
87.6 TowerHt - Height of tower above ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] (meters)
10 TowerBsHt - Height of tower base above ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] (meters)
0 PtfmCMxt - Downwind distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform CM (meters)
0 PtfmCMyt - Lateral distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform CM (meters)
-90.0 PtfmCMzt - Vertical distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform CM (meters)
-0 PtfmRefzt - Vertical distance from the ground level [onshore] or MSL [offshore] to the platform reference point (meters)
---------------------- MASS AND INERTIA ----------------------------------------
0 TipMass(1) - Tip-brake mass, blade 1 (kg)
0 TipMass(2) - Tip-brake mass, blade 2 (kg)
0 TipMass(3) - Tip-brake mass, blade 3 (kg) [unused for 2 blades]
56780 HubMass - Hub mass (kg)
115926 HubIner - Hub inertia about rotor axis [3 blades] or teeter axis [2 blades] (kg m^2)
534.116 GenIner - Generator inertia about HSS (kg m^2)
240000 NacMass - Nacelle mass (kg)
2.60789E+06 NacYIner - Nacelle inertia about yaw axis (kg m^2)
0 YawBrMass - Yaw bearing mass (kg)
8.46633E+06 PtfmMass - Platform mass (kg)
5.22923E+09 PtfmRIner - Platform inertia for roll tilt rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
5.22923E+09 PtfmPIner - Platform inertia for pitch tilt rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
2.6423E+08 PtfmYIner - Platform inertia for yaw rotation about the platform CM (kg m^2)
---------------------- BLADE ---------------------------------------------------
17 BldNodes - Number of blade nodes (per blade) used for analysis (-)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(1) - Name of file containing properties for blade 1 (quoted string)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(2) - Name of file containing properties for blade 2 (quoted string)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_Blade.dat” BldFile(3) - Name of file containing properties for blade 3 (quoted string) [unused for 2 blades]
---------------------- ROTOR-TEETER --------------------------------------------
0 TeetMod - Rotor-teeter spring/damper model {0: none, 1: standard, 2: user-defined from routine UserTeet} (switch) [unused for 3 blades]
0 TeetDmpP - Rotor-teeter damper position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetDmp - Rotor-teeter damping constant (N-m/(rad/s)) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetCDmp - Rotor-teeter rate-independent Coulomb-damping moment (N-m) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetSStP - Rotor-teeter soft-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetHStP - Rotor-teeter hard-stop position (degrees) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetSSSp - Rotor-teeter soft-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
0 TeetHSSp - Rotor-teeter hard-stop linear-spring constant (N-m/rad) [used only for 2 blades and when TeetMod=1]
---------------------- DRIVETRAIN ----------------------------------------------
100 GBoxEff - Gearbox efficiency (%)
97 GBRatio - Gearbox ratio (-)
8.67637E+08 DTTorSpr - Drivetrain torsional spring (N-m/rad)
6.215E+06 DTTorDmp - Drivetrain torsional damper (N-m/(rad/s))
---------------------- FURLING -------------------------------------------------
False Furling - Read in additional model properties for furling turbine (flag) [must currently be FALSE)
“unused” FurlFile - Name of file containing furling properties (quoted string) [unused when Furling=False]
---------------------- TOWER ---------------------------------------------------
20 TwrNodes - Number of tower nodes used for analysis (-)
“NRELOffshrBsline5MW_OC3Hywind_ElastoDyn_Tower.dat” TwrFile - Name of file containing tower properties (quoted string)
---------------------- OUTPUT --------------------------------------------------
True SumPrint - Print summary data to “.sum” (flag)
1 OutFile - Switch to determine where output will be placed: {1: in module output file only; 2: in glue code output file only; 3: both} (currently unused)
True TabDelim - Use tab delimiters in text tabular output file? (flag) (currently unused)
“ES10.3E2” OutFmt - Format used for text tabular output (except time). Resulting field should be 10 characters. (quoted string) (currently unused)
30 TStart - Time to begin tabular output (s) (currently unused)
1 DecFact - Decimation factor for tabular output {1: output every time step} (-) (currently unused)
1 NTwGages - Number of tower nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
10 TwrGagNd - List of tower nodes that have strain gages [1 to TwrNodes] (-) [unused if NTwGages=0]
1 NBlGages - Number of blade nodes that have strain gages for output [0 to 9] (-)
9 BldGagNd - List of blade nodes that have strain gages [1 to BldNodes] (-) [unused if NBlGages=0]
OutList - The next line(s) contains a list of output parameters. See OutListParameters.xlsx for a listing of available output channels, (-)
“NcIMUTAxs” - Nacelle IMU translational accelerations (absolute) in the nonrotating, shaft coordinate system
“NcIMUTAys” - Nacelle IMU translational accelerations (absolute) in the nonrotating, shaft coordinate system
“NcIMUTAzs” - Nacelle IMU translational accelerations (absolute) in the nonrotating, shaft coordinate system
“PtfmSurge” - Platform translational surge, sway, and heave displacements
“PtfmSway” - Platform translational surge, sway, and heave displacements
“PtfmHeave” - Platform translational surge, sway, and heave displacements
“PtfmRoll” - Platform rotational roll, pitch and yaw displacements
“PtfmPitch” - Platform rotational roll, pitch and yaw displacements
“PtfmYaw” - Platform rotational roll, pitch and yaw displacements
“PtfmTAxt” - Platform translation accelerations (absolute) in the tower-base coordinate system
“PtfmTAyt” - Platform translation accelerations (absolute) in the tower-base coordinate system
“PtfmTAzt” - Platform translation accelerations (absolute) in the tower-base coordinate system
“TwrBsFxt” - Fore-aft shear, side-to-side shear, and vertical forces at the base of the tower (platform)
“TwrBsFyt” - Fore-aft shear, side-to-side shear, and vertical forces at the base of the tower (platform)
“TwrBsFzt” - Fore-aft shear, side-to-side shear, and vertical forces at the base of the tower (platform)
“TwrBsMxt” - Side-to-side bending, fore-aft bending, and yaw moments at the base of the tower (platform)
“TwrBsMyt” - Side-to-side bending, fore-aft bending, and yaw moments at the base of the tower (platform)
“TwrBsMzt” - Side-to-side bending, fore-aft bending, and yaw moments at the base of the tower (platform)
END of input file (the word “END” must appear in the first 3 columns of this last OutList line)

Dear Sai,

I don’t see anything out of the ordinary with your ElastoDyn file. What does your HydroDyn file look like?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I’m attaching my HydroDyn file. Please take a look. Thanks again.
Hydro_Dyn.docx (19.2 KB)

Dear Sai,

I don’t see anything obviously wrong with your HydroDyn file either. Comparing your input files to the OC3-Hywind spar model of Test24 from FAST v8.15, I see that you’ve only changed a few of the ElastoDyn and HydroDyn inputs, including increasing the water depth from 320 to 2000 m. (That said, you’ve only shared 2 of the many FAST input files.) Does Test24 run for you without these changes? If so, which of the inputs that you’ve changed trigger the error?

You can also look at the Jacobian that is singular directly by recompiling FAST with compiler directive OUTPUT_JACOBIAN defined and then rerunning the simulation. This may also help identify the problem.

Best regards,

Dear Jason ,
I am attaching the error file as follows. please tell me where i am going wrong

Dear Ajay,

It sounds like you’re receiving the same error as Sai. Did you follow the same guidance that I offered Sai, e.g., which of the the inputs that you’ve changed trigger this error?

Best regards,

Respected sir, I am facing the same error as Factor U is exactly singular…plz suggest me how to encounter

Dear Ajay,

Did you follow the same guidance that I offered Sai, e.g., which of the the inputs that you’ve changed trigger this error?

Best regards,

no sir, he is not sure of that… so plz provide me the sufficient information so that I will counteract the error… I m facing only this error while running the code…

Dear Ajay,

You haven’t given my enough information to guess what the problem is. Are you using a model NREL has provided or did you make one yourself? If you used a model NREL has provided, what input parameters did you change?

Best regards,