Coupling IceDyn to test Semi Submersible Structure

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

I aim to run a simulation on the OC4 DeepCWind Semi Submersible model, by including ice loads on the floating substructure. Current forces would be desirable too to account for the mooring system, even though IceDyn does not run when HydroDyn is activated (nevertheless, this is not a requirement at this point). However, it is my understanding that the IceDyn module is designed to simulate ice loads on fixed-bottom structures (as explicitly stated in the IceDyn site). Furthermore, it is clear that IceDyn does not run

Is there any suggestion on how to go about running such simulation? id est, to couple the ice loads on that floating model? Will this option be implemented in the future?

I thank you beforehand for your input on this.

Dear Victor,

I’m not an expert on the two sea-ice modules incorporated into FAST–IceFloe and IceDyn. However, I do know that both modules were developed specifically for fixed-bottom offshore wind turbines. Changes would likely be required to model ice loads on a floating wind platforms. However, NREL is not currently funded to further develop ice-loading modules for FAST.

Best regards,

Dear Dr. Jonkman,

Thank you for your fast response. I would like to clarify that I meant that IceDyn does not run without SubDyn; the rest of my sentence got lost while editing.

Thank you and your team for all your hard work!