DTU 10-MW Reference Wind Turbine

Dear all,

First, thanks a lot Jason and RenQiang for your previous answers. I thought that my problem was solved: the “admin User” trick did not work but I found a configuration with 2 dll and a control data folder which was recognised by FAST. However, when I look at simple steady winds to check my thrust curve, the behaviour of my turbine is not very encouraging: I can observe a shut down of the turbine for all wind speeds between 6 m/s and 25 m/s… :neutral_face:

I have two different assumption regarding this issue:

• my controller file is not the good one,
  • my servodyn file has wrong parameters.

Since I have also the same problem as Jose to create a new account on the DTU website (and then to check my data files), I therefore joint the request of Jose: would it be possible to provide us a FAST example of a basic simulation for the DTU 10 MW with the suitable controller?

Thanks a lot and sorry to re-open again this subject.

Dear all,

unfortunately we are still not aware of a publicly available FAST model of the DTU10 MW (or the INNWIND 10MW). The model was entirely developed at DTU and never fully ported to FAST. The existing incompatibilities between the DTU Basic Controller and FAST complicated the conversion.

This said, in the past months a newer 10MW reference wind turbine has been developed within the IEA Wind Task 37. The machine was again developed at DTU and the main designer is Frederik Zahle. The model is not yet available in FAST, but the good news is that a report describing the model will be published within days, and DTU is working on making the DTU Basic Controller compatible to FAST. The activity should be completed soon and data of the wind turbine will soon be posted on this repo:

github.com/IEAWindTask37/IEA-10.0-198-RWT

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Pietro Bortolotti

Dear Pietro,

Thanks for your response and for the link. I have an intern and a project that both need now a FAST model of the 10MW DTU Turbine, so I am going to cross my fingers and hope for a very very soon release! :smiley:

Best regards,
Marie Féron

Dear all,

Did anyone manage to get a working bladed controller for DTU wind turbine? If so, I would really appreciate if you could share it with us all.

Thank you in advice,

Juan

Dear Juan,

Until now, not really.
I am currently working with a controller described as “old” on the DTU project which has the advantage to be editable. I have tuned the PI gains to have something suitable for a floating platform but I have a lot of concerns about this very questionable methodology.

Still waiting for something more robust…

Hello all,
I have recently started using FAST with v8 and getting starting to understand its working. I have experimented with the Testcases available with FAST package. According to my current project need, I would like to also simulate the 10MW DTU wind turbine. I have searched the forum and found threads where people are able to access the FAST files for the 10MW DTU wind turbine.
DTU 10MW Turbine - #2 by Cheng.Zhang

However, whenever I am trying to access the repository (dtu-10mw-rwt.vindenergi.dtu.dk), it says invalid user. I have registered as well, but can’t seem to get into the portal. Is anybody else facing the same issue? Can anybody suggest what could be done?

Best regards,
Tiasa

Dear All,

I noticed that there are a few older messages on the tread related to compiling a 64-bit version of the DTU Basic controller. Then, Laszlo and Erin noted that there was a PIDvar%outres = NaN error with both 32 and 64-bit versions of the controller. I’d like to note a possible solution, or a hint to a solution for the 32-bit case, in case anyone comes upon the thread as I did.

I get that error using the 32-bit version of the bladed style dll as provided by DTU for the OO_GoM platform. When I change the provided “cut-in time” to something else from the original value of “-1” (e.g., 0.1 as suggested by DTU in the controller doc), the controller works without issues. This setting is in the “controller_input.dat” file.

Also, we are currently trying to get a 64-bit version of this controller functioning. I’ll update if we manage.

Best regards,
Emre

Dear all,
I am working on DTU 10MW for offshore that mounted on OO-star semi floater with mooring lines. Main agenda is to study the dynamic response of mooring system. When running with the newly developed DISCON_IEA_offshore.dll , facing the following error. Faced the same error even when working with dtu_we_controller. The directory of the file is correct. But can’t find the reason for the following error. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Dear Abhinay,

This error is typically caused when attempting to use a DLL that is compiled in 64-bits with a FAST executable that is compiled in 32-bits. Both must use the same addressing scheme. Either use/recompile a 32-bit DLL or use/recompile a 64-bit FAST executable.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Both the FAST executable and Master controller are 32-bit and the file directory is also in order.
I am facing the error “the DISCON procedure could not be loaded”, as for my knowledge it is a Command in ServoDyn.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dear Abhinay,

Can the FAST executable you are using load one of the baseline controllers for the NREL 5-MW turbine provided in the FAST archive?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Yes, previously I worked with the NREL 5MW baseline mounted on WindFloat semi submersible structure and the simulations went smooth except unsteady aerodynamics(as AeroDynv15 cant assume Beddoes-Leishman dynamic stall yet).

Now, I have implemented the dtu_we_controller that I took from DTU 10MW repository. And also as previously mentioned by Pietro.Bortolotti in the previous replies of this same thread, tried with the controller that developed for IEA wind task 37.
As previously mentioned, I have very little knowledge in the controller. So any suggestion for moving forward will be appreciated.

Dear Abhinary,

It sounds like you are able to use a DLL controller in the version of FAST you are using, so, if the DTU DLL is not loading properly, I would guess the problem is in the path or compilation of the DLL. I’m not sure I can give you more specific advice.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about the unsteady airfoil aerodynamics model of AeroDyn v15. The Beddoes-Leishman dynamic stall model is implemented in AeroDyn v15. Perhaps you were running an old version?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

When I tried to run the model operation DLCs provided in the repository there are no problems with the DTU controller. I till cant figure out the error in my setup. As you mentioned could be a mistake in the directory.

The dtu_we_controller_bladed is running with the feedback loops from generator_servo_input and controller_input. Is there an open-sorce master controller for the DTU 10 MW RWT?

Thanks and regards
Abhinay Goga

Dear Abhinay,

I have not run simulations with the DTU 10-MW turbine myself. Hopefully someone else on this forum can answer your questions regarding the controller.

Best regards,

Dear Jason and all,

Can anyone explain why the electrical output is facing with such numerical instabilities?
The frequency of the fluctuations seems not resulted from wind shear, tower shadow (3P-effects) and does not match with the wave frequency as well.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Abhinay Goga

Dear Jason and all,

LIFES50+ D1.2 states that, AeroDynv14 calculates the unsteady aerodynamics at fixed initial position rather with the moving tower. For a floating wind turbine the tower moves along with the floater and initial position for aerodynamics calculation is actually a frame of reference positions. The report later states that, “at present the moving tower potential flow model is not implemented with UA, hence decided to use AeroDynv14”. Is it still the case?

Thanks and regards
Abhinay Goga

Dear Abhinay,

I’m not sure I really understand what the text you are quoting is saying.

Regardless, the tower influence model in AeroDyn v14 is limited to a fixed undeflected/undisplaced position of the tower, so, I would not enable AeroDyn v14’s tower influence model for floating wind turbines, which have the potential for substantial platform displacement or tower deflection. AeroDyn v14 is no longer being worked on and will be deprecated soon.

That said, AeroDyn v15 has more functionality than AeroDyn v14 and AeroDyn v15 does consider the impact of floating platform motions and tower deflection on the tower influence model.

Best regards,

Dear Dr.Jason
Thanks for reading my email.
I’m using openfast v2.3 to simulate the IEA 10 MW reference wind turbine. And I used the DISCON_IEA_offshore.dll controller. However,I faced some problems when I simulated the rated wind speed condition(turbulent wind). The simulation can run but the blade pitch is zero during the simulation under the rated wind speed, which casue large rotor thrust force and genrator power (over 12 MW). Aslo, when i tried to simulate the over-rated wind speed condition, the simulation aborted. I have uploaded some input files and results.Can you give me some advice?I’m not familiar with controller, maybe the problem of the controller?inputfile.rar (242 KB)

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best regards
Lixian Zhang

Dear Lixian,

I’m not familiar enough with the DTU 10-MW reference wind turbine OpenFAST model that you are simulating to comment much, but I don’t see that you are referencing the DISCON_IEA_offshore.dll in your ServoDyn input file (instead, you set DLL_FileName = “controller\DTU_10MW_Braceless_Controller_Lib.dll”); could that be a problem? Also, are the initial conditions you’ve set (RotSpeed = 9 rpm, BlPitch = 0.0) the expected values for the mean wind speed you are simulating?

Best regards,