DTU 10-MW Reference Wind Turbine

Dear all,

One possible explanation of the NaN-issue experienced with the 64-bit DTU controller is the following:

The DISCON routine (in dtu_we_controller_bladed.f90) calls “update_regulation” in the initialization step. At initialization, the timestep, dt, equals zero which gives a NaN-number (divide by zero) in the PID2-function (dtu_we_controller_fcns.f90) and the controller stops due to an internal NaN-check.

Assuming that there is no reason for calling “update_regulation” at the initialization step, a quick fix is to extend the IF (callno.eq.0)-statement to IF-ELSE in the DISCON routine so that it calls “update_regulation” only if callno is not 0.

Example:
If (callno .eq. 0) then

… (various code lines)
call init_regulations_advanced(array1, array2)
… (various code lines)

else !Insert else statement, i.e. Continue only if (callno.ne.0)
!endif !Remove endif statement

… (various code lines)
call update_regulation(array1, array2)
… (various code lines)

endif !Insert endif statement here

If anyone knows a more robust solution, or believes that “update_regulation” needs to be called during initialization, please comment.

Dear Jason,

I am studying seismic response of DTU 10MW WT and NREL 5MW WT using FAST_7. As FAST_V8 can not simulate seismic response, I choose FAST_7 as my tool. So I need modify the model supplied by Jan at [url]DTU 10-MW Reference Wind Turbine] for FAST_7. After transforming the model of DTU 10MW WT from FAST_v8 to FAST_v7, I copy the controller file named dtu_we_controller.dll supplied by Jan which can run at FAST_V8 and renamed it as DISCON.dll. When running the analysis with FAST_V7, it aborting FAST with the prompt “The procedure DISCON could not be loaded” . There must be some mistake in my work. Could you give me some advice?

1. Whether the controller dtu_we_controller.dll working at FAST_V8 normally can be used to FAST_V7 directly without any modify?
    2.If the answer of 1 is no,How can I build controller of DTU10MW for FAST_V7? In my opinion, I can accomplish it by changing the parameter at DISCON.f90 and compiling it . Is it correct?

Thank you.

Dear RenQiang.Xi,

You should be able to use the same DISCON controller in both FAST v7 and FAST v8. Regarding an error that the DLL could not be loaded, see the following topic on our forum: "DISCON.dll could not be loaded" - #2 by Bonnie.Jonkman.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Actually, I have read the topic you supplied above.Firstly, I am sure DISCON.DLL is in the current working directory. And, the DISCON.DLL file is 32-bit as it is executable with with 32-bit FAST_V8. Perhaps,this situation is related to the dtu_we_controller.dll file.

So, I change DISCON.f90 for DTU10MW and compile it. Now, the new DISCON.DLL file which was compiled from DISCON.f90 is working with FAST_V7. As I am not familiar with controller, I need more time to change DISCON.f90 for DTU10MW.

Thank you!

Dear RenQiang,

I am also trying to run FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 32-bit) with the DTU 10 MW and the controller (dtu_we_controller.dll) and I have got the same issue: it aborting FAST with the prompt “The procedure DISCON could not be loaded”. I am sure DISCON.DLL is in the current working directory.

Does anyone has a solution to this issue? Maybe should I downgrade to the FAST version 8.12?

Thanks a lot,

Dear Marie,

I understood from RenQiang’s post that the problem was with the dtu_we_controller.dll, not with FAST. I would not expect a DLL controller that works with FAST v7 would not also work with FAST v8. But I’ll let RenQiang comment further.

Best regards,

Actually, I can run FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 32-bit) with the DTU 10 MW and the controller (dtu_we_controller.dll). If you can not, you can try running it with Windows cmd.exe using admin User.

Dear all,

I’m trying to find the DTU 10-MW reference wind turbine input files for FAST. As recommended in this forum I tried to create an account in dtu-10mw-rwt.vindenergi.dtu.dk/ but haven’t got any response in a long time. Does anyone know where to find these files? Mainly the blade properties and control related files.

Thank you very much for your help,

Jose Vazquez

Dear all,

First, thanks a lot Jason and RenQiang for your previous answers. I thought that my problem was solved: the “admin User” trick did not work but I found a configuration with 2 dll and a control data folder which was recognised by FAST. However, when I look at simple steady winds to check my thrust curve, the behaviour of my turbine is not very encouraging: I can observe a shut down of the turbine for all wind speeds between 6 m/s and 25 m/s… :neutral_face:

I have two different assumption regarding this issue:

• my controller file is not the good one,
  • my servodyn file has wrong parameters.

Since I have also the same problem as Jose to create a new account on the DTU website (and then to check my data files), I therefore joint the request of Jose: would it be possible to provide us a FAST example of a basic simulation for the DTU 10 MW with the suitable controller?

Thanks a lot and sorry to re-open again this subject.

Dear all,

unfortunately we are still not aware of a publicly available FAST model of the DTU10 MW (or the INNWIND 10MW). The model was entirely developed at DTU and never fully ported to FAST. The existing incompatibilities between the DTU Basic Controller and FAST complicated the conversion.

This said, in the past months a newer 10MW reference wind turbine has been developed within the IEA Wind Task 37. The machine was again developed at DTU and the main designer is Frederik Zahle. The model is not yet available in FAST, but the good news is that a report describing the model will be published within days, and DTU is working on making the DTU Basic Controller compatible to FAST. The activity should be completed soon and data of the wind turbine will soon be posted on this repo:

github.com/IEAWindTask37/IEA-10.0-198-RWT

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Pietro Bortolotti

Dear Pietro,

Thanks for your response and for the link. I have an intern and a project that both need now a FAST model of the 10MW DTU Turbine, so I am going to cross my fingers and hope for a very very soon release! :smiley:

Best regards,
Marie Féron

Dear all,

Did anyone manage to get a working bladed controller for DTU wind turbine? If so, I would really appreciate if you could share it with us all.

Thank you in advice,

Juan

Dear Juan,

Until now, not really.
I am currently working with a controller described as “old” on the DTU project which has the advantage to be editable. I have tuned the PI gains to have something suitable for a floating platform but I have a lot of concerns about this very questionable methodology.

Still waiting for something more robust…

Hello all,
I have recently started using FAST with v8 and getting starting to understand its working. I have experimented with the Testcases available with FAST package. According to my current project need, I would like to also simulate the 10MW DTU wind turbine. I have searched the forum and found threads where people are able to access the FAST files for the 10MW DTU wind turbine.
DTU 10MW Turbine - #2 by Cheng.Zhang

However, whenever I am trying to access the repository (dtu-10mw-rwt.vindenergi.dtu.dk), it says invalid user. I have registered as well, but can’t seem to get into the portal. Is anybody else facing the same issue? Can anybody suggest what could be done?

Best regards,
Tiasa

Dear All,

I noticed that there are a few older messages on the tread related to compiling a 64-bit version of the DTU Basic controller. Then, Laszlo and Erin noted that there was a PIDvar%outres = NaN error with both 32 and 64-bit versions of the controller. I’d like to note a possible solution, or a hint to a solution for the 32-bit case, in case anyone comes upon the thread as I did.

I get that error using the 32-bit version of the bladed style dll as provided by DTU for the OO_GoM platform. When I change the provided “cut-in time” to something else from the original value of “-1” (e.g., 0.1 as suggested by DTU in the controller doc), the controller works without issues. This setting is in the “controller_input.dat” file.

Also, we are currently trying to get a 64-bit version of this controller functioning. I’ll update if we manage.

Best regards,
Emre

Dear all,
I am working on DTU 10MW for offshore that mounted on OO-star semi floater with mooring lines. Main agenda is to study the dynamic response of mooring system. When running with the newly developed DISCON_IEA_offshore.dll , facing the following error. Faced the same error even when working with dtu_we_controller. The directory of the file is correct. But can’t find the reason for the following error. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Dear Abhinay,

This error is typically caused when attempting to use a DLL that is compiled in 64-bits with a FAST executable that is compiled in 32-bits. Both must use the same addressing scheme. Either use/recompile a 32-bit DLL or use/recompile a 64-bit FAST executable.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Both the FAST executable and Master controller are 32-bit and the file directory is also in order.
I am facing the error “the DISCON procedure could not be loaded”, as for my knowledge it is a Command in ServoDyn.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dear Abhinay,

Can the FAST executable you are using load one of the baseline controllers for the NREL 5-MW turbine provided in the FAST archive?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Yes, previously I worked with the NREL 5MW baseline mounted on WindFloat semi submersible structure and the simulations went smooth except unsteady aerodynamics(as AeroDynv15 cant assume Beddoes-Leishman dynamic stall yet).

Now, I have implemented the dtu_we_controller that I took from DTU 10MW repository. And also as previously mentioned by Pietro.Bortolotti in the previous replies of this same thread, tried with the controller that developed for IEA wind task 37.
As previously mentioned, I have very little knowledge in the controller. So any suggestion for moving forward will be appreciated.