Wind Field visualization

Hi, im trying to visualize with paraview my wind field generated by TurbSim. Someone can tell me how I can obtain the vtk files ? I tried putting in the .fst file WrVTK = 2 for the animation, but it give to me only the vtk files for the turbine.
Thanks for any help.

Dear @Andrea.Malacrino,

OpenFAST does not currently expert VTK files for visualiation of the wind field.

An alternative would be to visualize the turbulence field by reading the wind data from the TurbSim-generated file into MATLAB via the MATLAB script named readfile_BTS.m provided in the MATLAB Toolbox: github.com/OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox.

FYI: FAST.Farm can expert VTK files for visualization of the wind field when modeling multiple wind turbines in a wind farm.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,
Thank you very much for the answer. Now it’s all clear. I have instead another question always regarding the wind field modelling.
I tried to run a simulation with turbsim as windtype so I compiled the turbsim input file and runned, after that I gave the .bts file to the InflowWind.dat. This is the routine that I followed and I thinks it’s correct. My question is regarding the modelling of the wind field in turbsim. I changed the mean velocity at Uref around 12 m/s. I wanted to know what value/s (if exist) I need to change in order to maintain the cross flow mean at 0 and to maintain the intensity between the corresponding values of -15/+15 deg of yaw.
I’m trying to implement an observer for the cross flow and shear around a rotor. It is sensible at values of -15/+15 deg of yaw and I need a simulation with a turbulent field around that values in order to test it.
I hope I have been clear.

Sincerely
Andrea Malacrino

Dear @Andrea.Malacrino,

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure I understand your question.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,
I think I find partially the answer to my question. I need to put HFlowAng = 0 in order to have a blowing wind that has horizontal mean flow angle null. My questions Is, if there is a parameter that I can set in order that during the simulation, the maximum value of the same angle stays between -15/+15 deg. Does setting IECturbc that as I understand is the turbulence intensity is good for my job?

Dear @Andrea.Malacrino,

We always recommend setting HFlowAng in TurbSim to zero when using TurbSim to generate full-field wind turbulent inflow for use in OpenFAST; it is better to set PropagationDir nonzero in InflowWind to change the wind direction. These angles determine the mean direction of the flow. Of course, the turbulence itself will lead to local variations in wind direction. I’m not aware of a way (or a reason why you’d want) to limit the local variations in wind direction, but certainly, the higher the turbulence level, the more the local variations will be.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,
Thank you for the answer, I tried leaving HFlowAng = 0 deg and putting an Intensity level lower at it works.
I have the last question for now. I was asking myself if it were possible to model the wind field spatially.
I try to give to you an example, in a grid of 35x35 point along the z and y axis, I wanted to have for example, the left part of the grid with a steady wind and the right part of the grid with a turbulent wind.

Best regards.

Dear @Andrea.Malacrino,

I have the last question for now. I was asking myself if it were possible to model the wind field spatially. I try to give to you an example, in a grid of 35x35 point along the z and y axis, I wanted to have for example, the left part of the grid with a steady wind and the right part of the grid with a turbulent wind.

This is not possible unless you customize the source code.

Best regards,

1 Like

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,
thank you for the help.

Best regards.