Wave Direction parameter

Dear Mr. Jason Jonkman and friends,

My name is Manuel Lara and I am a PhD student at the University of Córdoba (Spain).

I am currently working with the 15MW IEA wind turbine offshore reference model monopile through Openfast and simulink -matlab.

I would like to know if there is any way to obtain the direction of the waves as an output. The variable “Wave1Elev” gives me the current value of the waves in meters but I can not find how to estimate the direction of the waves.

For the wind I use Wind1VelX and Wind1VelY. Is there something similar for waves?

Thank you very much for your help.

Dear @Manuel.Lara,

The wave direction is not directly output by HydroDyn in time series form. You as you user specify the wave direction in the input file of HydroDyn, so, you should be able to figure it out. That said, this is complicated by wave spreading because a given wave elevation could be composed of wave components at different frequencies from different directions. The frequency-domain decomposition of the waves, including the direction of each wave component, is written to the HydroDyn summary file. Moreover, wave particle velocities at given points in the fluid domain (as well as wave particle acclerations and dynamic pressure) can also be selected as outputs from HydroDyn.

Best regards,