Total beginners advice needed - Pitch control routine

Hello all,
I have read through the FAQ’s and the ‘Instructions for Compiling FAST using IVF for Windows®’ document.

I have written fortran code before at university for a stand alone programs that simulated a ballistic rocket and another for simulating the flow of epoxy into a mold however I am not a computer literate person. I understand the physics and the engineering, but not the way that the programs and codes interact executing what I want done.

My question is very basic…I think.

I need to modify the PitchCntrl_ACH.f90 routine for my wind turbine model. I have read and understood the existing .f90 code as it is using a text editor. I now need to modify this code to model how my turbine works. This I can do in the fortran code in the text editor (I think) as I have experience in this.

What is the process for ensuring that the code I write in text editor for the .f90 file is understood my FAST?

Do I need to re-compile FAST? Do I re-compile PitchCntrl_ACH.f90?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Phillip

Dear Phillip,

Any change to the FAST source code (including to PitchCntrl_ACH.f90) requires a recompile of the FAST executable. See the compiling instructions for details on the steps involved.

Best regards,

Thanks for the prompt response Jason,
I’ll read through again the IVF compile document and see how I get on.

Many thanks

Phillip

Hello all,
after much head scratching I am posting my question. I am using a modified version of ‘PitchCntrl_ACH’ for my passive pitching routine.

I have re-compiled fast using the make file for mingw and, when I run FAST, I get the following error: -

C:\EP0027\20 kW Pitching>C:\FAST\FAST_gwin32.exe WW20kW_V1.fst

Running NWTC Subroutine Library (v1.07.02a-mlb, 21-May-2013).

Running FAST (v7.02.00d-bjj, 20-Feb-2013).

Heading of the FAST input file: FAST certification Test #15: FAST model of a SWRT 3-bladed
upwind turbine. Note- SWRT rotates in CCW direction- some inputs will be mirror image of the
actual turbine.

Running AeroDyn (v13.00.02a-bjj, 20-Feb-2013).
Heading of the AeroDyn input file: SWRT rotor aerodynamic parameters for FAST certification test
#15.

Using InflowWind (v1.02.00c-bjj, 23-Apr-2013)

Assuming .\Wind/SWRT/15m_1-20mps_ramp.wnd is a formatted HH wind file.

Reading 3 lines of data from the HH wind file.

Using variable speed generator option.
RPM and Torque (Nm) for SWRT rotor mod by CH Aug 9, 2004 with new test data. See Config B
Torque vs RPM.xls

The input file, “C:\EP0027\20 kW PitchingPitch.ipt”, was not found.

Aborting FAST.

I have checked the line in ‘PitchCntrl_ACH.f90’ and have the following: -

PitchFileName = ‘C:\EP0027\20 kW Pitching\Pitch.ipt’

CALL OpenFInpFile (86, TRIM(PitchFileName) )

Can anybody point me in the right direction where else I might find the file path descriptor is for the Pitch.ipt file or why I might be getting this error?

I am at a complete loss.

Regards

Phillip

Hi, Phillip.

It does seems strange that you can set PitchFileName = 'C:\\EP0027\\20 kW Pitching\\Pitch.ipt' and get a screen message saying the file name is C:\EP0027\20 kW PitchingPitch.ipt

The first thing I’d try is this: PitchFileName = 'C:/EP0027/20 kW Pitching/Pitch.ipt' (Windows can use either forward or back slashes in the path name)