surge decay of 5MW spar wind turbine

Dear all,

Greetings!
I am simulating a 5MW Spar wind turbine which is similar with OC3 Hywind with FAST V8, but I find the surge decay of it is very strange. However, I can’t find the reason, so I want to come here for help. Could you give me some suggestions of how to correct it. Attached pls find the surge decay of it.
Thank you so much.
Best wishes!

Doris

Dear Yingyu,

It is hard for me to comment without knowing more about your model or simulation set-up. Is this a pure single degree-of-freedom (DOF) free-decay response or is surge coupled to the response of other DOFs? The coupling in the latter could bring about the variations in surge that you are seeing.

Best regards,

Dear Jonkman,

Thank you for your reply. I keep all the six DOFs of platform ‘True’. So it is surge coupled to the response of other DOFs. However, the period of surge is about 40s and the period of pitch which approaches surge mostly is only about 33s. So is it reasonable?

Best regards,
Yingyu

Dear Yingyu,

Again, it is hard for me to comment without knowing more about your model or the results of other DOFs. If you think the surge decay looks strange, I suggest disabling the other platform (and turbine) DOFs to isolate surge and see if the results make sense to you.

Best regards,