ServoDyn error when running the IEA 15MW Monopile

Hi,

I’m trying to build a Bladed model of the IEA 15MW turbine, and as part of this I need to get a working DISCON.dll. I’ve succesfully compiled the controller, but it won’t run in Bladed. I figured I’d try and make sure it works for OpenFAST first so that I can be sure I don’t have a broken controler, and when I try to run I get the following output:

[b]**************************************************************************************************
OpenFAST

Copyright (C) National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Copyright (C) Envision Energy USA LTD

This program is licensed under Apache License Version 2.0 and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
See the “LICENSE” file distributed with this software for details.

OpenFAST-v2.3.0
Compile Info:

• Architecture: 64 bit
  • Precision: single
  • Date: Apr 03 2020
  • Time: 14:02:42
    Execution Info:
  • Date: 09/04/2020
  • Time: 10:57:24+0100

OpenFAST input file heading:
IEA 15 MW Offshore Reference Turbine

Running ElastoDyn.
Running AeroDyn.
Running BEM.
Running UnsteadyAero.
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 3
Running InflowWind.
Running ServoDyn.
Running ServoDyn Interface for Bladed Controllers.
Running HydroDyn.
Generating incident wave kinematics and current time history.
Running SubDyn.
Calculating Internal Modal Eigenvectors
At line 69 of file D:\Temp\Compilation\DISCON\ReadSetParameters.f90 (unit = 89, file = ‘…\IEA_15MW\DISCON.IN’)
Fortran runtime error: Bad integer for item 1 in list input

D:\OpenFAST\openfast_v2.3.0_binaries>openfast_x64 “…\IEA_15MW\IEA-15-240-RWT.fst”[/b]

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I haven’t changed the source code of ROSCO.

I figured it out - the DISCON.IN file has different entries to the one provided with ROSCO. If you use the files for the IEA 15MW turbine provided with ROSCO then everything works once you change the path in DISCON.IN to the location of the PerfFileName.

Hi,

I have posted about this issue, on ROSCO Github (github.com/NREL/ROSCO/issues/31), using ROSCO DLL with openfast for the IEA 15MW semisubmersible case in the restart mode. As I haven’t yet received any resolution to this issue so I am posting it here again hoping for some help or hints to fix it.

I am trying to use ROSCO DLL for the IEA 15MW semisubmersible case with openfast (both v2.3.0 and v2.4.0) with the restart option after the checkpoint file is generated in the first run. I found openfast is aborting due to some segmentation fault arising in ROSCO code (see below). Any help to fix this issue is appreciated.

OpenFAST-v2.4.0
Compile Info:

Compiler: GCC version 7.1.0
Architecture: 64 bit
Precision: double
Date: Nov 17 2020
Time: 10:04:53
Execution Info:
Date: 11/17/2020
Time: 17:16:07+0530
Restarting simulation at 5 seconds.

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference.

Backtrace for this error:
#0 0x7ff66cac92ef in ???
#1 0x7ff66c18fa87 in __functions_MOD_interp1d
at /soft/opensoft/ROSCO/src/Functions.f90:170
#2 0x7ff66c18d63c in __controllers_MOD_pitchcontrol
at /soft/opensoft/ROSCO/src/Controllers.f90:63
#3 0x7ff66c18dce5 in DISCON
at /soft/opensoft/ROSCO/src/DISCON.F90:74
#4 0x1099c06 in ???
#5 0x1099cd3 in ???
#6 0x1099f60 in ???
#7 0x109b958 in ???
#8 0x10a357b in ???
#9 0x8706b5 in ???
#10 0x5892c7 in ???
#11 0x58abdc in ???
#12 0x524686 in ???
#13 0x4162fe in ???
#14 0x7ff66cab5444 in ???
#15 0x41632e in ???
#16 0xffffffffffffffff in ???
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hi All,

@Peter.Greaves - I am glad you were able to get those issues resolved. Out of curiosity - was the DISCON.IN file provided via the IEA 15MW github repository the one causing problems?
github.com/IEAWindTask37/IEA-15 … onopile.IN

@Srinivasa.Ramisetti - I have posted the following response to your question on the github issue that you opened (github.com/NREL/ROSCO/issues/31). Thanks for posting on the github page - we would like to encourage all ROSCO-specific questions to be posed via github issues.

Unfortunately, we do not have any restart capabilities included in ROSCO right now. I’m going to leave this github issue open until it is resolved. As it is now, we don’t have any specific plans to include this feature, but will certainly add it to the docket as “nice to have” items as we continue our development.

Of course, if this is a capability that you feel qualified to contribute, we would encourage that!

Thanks,
Nikhar

Hello Peter,

I recently ran into the same problem when attempting to run a Bladed model of the 15MW turbine. I was wondering if you could explain your solution a little more clearly? While I understand the gist of how you corrected the error, I am having a hard time finding the parameters your changed in my own files.

Thanks,

Patrick