Running Aerodyn with ADAMS 2005

Hi,

I tried running one of the ‘Cert Test’ runs with ADAMS 2005, but ran into some problems. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Set ADAMSPrep = 2 in Test01.fst and ran with Fast - got Test01_ADAMS.adm and Test01_ADAMS.acf
  2. Edited and ran CompileLinkA2AD.bat. I use Compaq Visual Fortran V6.6 - got Adams.dll, Adams.lib, etc
  3. Imported the adm file in ADAMS 2005, imported the configuration script, set solver executable to Adams.dll and ran scripted controls

Model verification gets done normally, but then it gets stuck for some time before saying ‘Simulation Failed!’. I am not able to get any additional information from the command or message windows, leading me to believe that it is encountering an unhandled exception in the dll.

Has anyone had similar problems with ADAMS 2005? Is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks in anticipation…

Akshay Ambekar
Control Systems Engineer

Hi Akshay,

I don’t recognize the error you are reporting. But neither do I fully understand what you say you did in step 3.

Typically I run ADAMS by calling ADAMS/Solver from the command prompt and by runnning the simulation with the ru-user command. Is this what you are doing in step 3?

Can you include in your response the entire set of messages you receive in the command window up to and including the error?

Best regards,

Hi Jason,

Thank for your reply. I now realize it was a licensing problem (my license server firewall was blocking the UDP port queried by Adams). I could figure it out only after calling the solver directly from command prompt, and could fix the problem.

For first-time runs, I like to run the model from ‘Adams View’, since this gives me an indication of when particular motions or forces are activated / deactivated. The simulation still fails when I call the solver from Adams View, without giving any indication on the command window (even after fixing the firewall). But I guess this is a problem with Adams installation / running procedure and not with Adams2ad.

Have you tried running the Adams turbine model in Simulink, using ADAMS / Control? I ask because I want to interface controller models I have in Simulink, and want to use a modified Adams model (so cannot use the direct Fast/Simulink link).

Thanks,

Akshay Ambekar
Control Systems Engineer

Hi Akshay,

I have never tried to use the interface between ADAMS and Simulink because NREL has never purchased the ADAMS/Control toolkit. This is an add-in option to ADAMS that is available for a “nominal” fee. I’ve heard it works quite well, however.

Best regards,