I wanna do some simulation on the floating wind turbines. But it is hard for me to find the following types of turbines(5MW is enough), i would appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice:
3. TLP(tension leg platform)
Are you using OpenFAST?
The r-test of OpenFAST (github.com/OpenFAST/r-test) provides several floating offshore configurations of the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine, including spar (OC3-Hwind), semisubmersible (DeepCwind), and TLP (MIT/NREL).
Yes, i am tring to use Fast.Farm to do some simple simulation about floating wind turbines.
Thanks so much for your help!
I encountered some difficulties in selecting the wind turbine model in r-test. I wonder if you can tell me where I can get the wind turbine type information corresponding to the abbreviated name?
For me, it is impossible to determine which wind turbine I need to use based on the abbreviated name
thank you very much
Most of the models in the OpenFAST r-test came from the original CertTest in FAST v8, which are documented in Table 6 of the FAST v8 ReadMe file: drive.google.com/file/d/17LDwMn … sp=sharing.
What type of wind turbine model do you want to use?
I am relatively new to the OpenFast environment, therefore my questions might seem a little bit “rookie” in nature, however I would most heartily appreciate your help and guidance. My thesis work is proposed to include the simulation of a wind turbine model in a selected sea condition and I am hopeful to work towards that. I am running “OpenFast” from command prompt. I am aware that the r-test contains already built wind turbine models. However, I have three questions.
- Is there a syntax for testing these models in the r-test file for example, I tried running a 5MW tension leg platform but obtained errors as shown below.
2)In trying to make my own wind turbine model, I would have to make some modifications to the existing model from NREL.Is there a document that can guide me in that respect for OpenFast.
- Thirdly, I would consider(not currently though) to integrate my model with Simulink and Matlab for visualization. How can I do that or what documents would help me achieve that?
I eagerly look forward to your replies and help. Thank you.
PS:…my analysis and simulation is for a floating offshore wind turbine.
Here are my answers to your questions:
- It looks like your syntax for running OpenFAST is correct. OpenFAST is failing because it can’t load the DISCON DLL controller. Do you have the DISCON.dll controller DLL in the path specified within the error message?
- We don’t have a step-by-step guide to modify an existing OpenFAST model to match your own turbine model. As you can tell by reviewing the OpenFAST input files, there are many input files for the various modules, each containing many inputs. Depending on what features of the wind turbine model you are changing, I would first review the documentation for the pertinent modules that you need to change (AeroDyn for aerodynaimcs, HydroDyn for hydrodynamics, ServoDyn for control, and ElastoDyn etc. for structure) to get an understanding of what the inputs to be specified are.
- I’m not sure I understand your question, as I would normally say that the MATLAB/Simulink and visualization are two independent capabilities of OpenFAST. The MATLAB/Simulink interface to OpenFAST is for implementing controllers and the visualization capability of OpenFAST is for visualizing the configuration or animating the time series or mode shapes.