Radiation forces from WAMIT

Dear all,

I have being trying to analyze the response of a floating wind turbine without the effect of the radiation forces. Following recommendations in the forum I enter RdtnMod=0 and RdtnTMax=0. After run the simulation I still have forces in the variables RdtnFxi…and RdtnMxi,…

However, these new forces are lower in magnitude with respect with the case where the radiation is enabled RdtnMod=1 and RdtnTMax=60.

I was wondering if there are other forces considered inside the variables Rdtn… moreover the convolution effect or am I missing something else to remove radiations forces besides setting RdtnMod=0 and RdtnTMax=0.

Thank you

Felipe Vittori

Dear Felipe,

I would expect to see zero-valued results for the radiation-load outputs RdtnFxi, etc. when RdtnMod = 0. With RdtnMod = 1 and RdtnTMax = 0, I would expect to see the hydrodynamic added mass show up in the radiation-load outputs, but the wave-radiation damping to be neglected. With RdtnTMod = 1 and RdtnTMax > 0, I would expect the radiation-load outputs to include both hydrodynamic added mass and wave-radiation damping. Is this not what you are seeing?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Seem that the hydrodynamic added mass is always taken account in the HydroDyn calculation.

I have ran more tests and when RdtnMod=0 and RdtnTMax=0 the hydrodynamic added mass still appearing in the Rdtn forces outputs.

In order to remove all radiation forces (RdtnFxi,… RdtnMzi=0) I had to modify the “.1” file by replacing all Aij=0.

If RdtnMod=1 and RdtnTMax=0 the radiation damping is neglected and the hydrodynamic added mass is in the radiation-load output.

Best Regards,

Felipe Vittori

Dear Felipe,

The solution with RdtnMod = 1 and RdtnTMax = 0 s is what I expect, but the solution with RdtnMod = 0 is not what I expect. Which version of FAST / OpenFAST are you using?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I was using openfast 2.2.

I also tried openfast 2.1 and 2.3, but is happening the same.

Best Regards,
Felipe Vittori

Dear Felipe,

I talked with Greg Hayman and I think I was a bit confused on how RdtnMod is used. RdtnMod only changes how the memory effect (radiation damping) is processed:

• RdtnMod = 0 = no memory effect; this would be the same as RdtnMod = 1 with TMax = 0;
  • RdntMod = 1 = memory effect via numerical convolution; and
  • RdtnMod = 2 = memory effect via a linear state-space model.

The hydrodynamic added mass is included for all RdtnMod settings (including RdtnMod = 0).

It may make sense to change RdtnMod = 0 to eliminate all wave radiation calculations (both added mass and damping), but that is not how it is implemented now.

Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for your assistance it was helpful to understand more about HydroDyn.

Best Regards,
Felipe Vittori