problem with Using Fast V8 by microsoft visual studio c/c++ 2013

Dear all,

I have a question about Using Fast V8 by microsoft visual studio c/c++ 2013.

I want to use Microsoft visual studio c/c + + 2013 to develop a program to use the function of FAST V8, by calling the FAST_Library. DLL .
the method like this:

(1)I bulid a vc + + project, put the code of FAST_Prog.c in to the project,and then make a configuration of the corresponding header file and running environment, etc…finally the project is compiled through.

(2)When I use the program to run the cases of the test18 example of FAST v8 , the running window appear.However,When it running to ServoDyn module,a parameter errors appear,and then run unexpected errors appear.so the program fails.

(3)I didn’t change any parameters in the process
of Using Fast V8 by microsoft visual studio c/c++ 2013.
(4)what is problem? How can I avoid the problem

Results are as follows:

[code]**************************************************************************************************
FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 27-Jul-2016)

Copyright (C) 2016 National Renewable Energy Laboratory

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the “license.txt” file distributed with this
software for details.

Running FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 27-Jul-2016), compiled as a DLL S-Function for Simulink as a 32-bit
application using single precision
linked with NWTC Subroutine Library (v2.09.00, 23-Jul-2016)

Heading of the FAST input file:
FAST Certification Test #18: NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine (Onshore)

Running ElastoDyn (v1.04.00a-bjj, 26-Jul-2016).

Running AeroDyn (v15.03.00, 27-Jul-2016).

Running AirfoilInfo (v1.01.00a-bjj, 5-Apr-2016).

Running BEM (v1.02.00, 29-Jun-2016).
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 3

Running InflowWind (v3.03.00, 26-Jul-2016).
Opening InflowWind input file:
D:/fredj/03_Sources2008/AqwaTest/Release/jf_CertTest/5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWin
d_12mps.dat

Reading a 31x31 grid (145 m wide, 17.5 m to 162.5 m above ground) with a characteristic wind
speed of 12 m/s. This full-field file was generated by TurbSim (v1.06.00, 21-Sep-2012) on
07-Jan-2014 at 12:50:45.

Processed 1442 time steps of 20-Hz full-field data (72.05 seconds).

Running ServoDyn (v1.06.00a-bjj, 26-Jul-2016).

Running ServoDyn Interface for Bladed Controllers (using Intel Visual Fortran for
Windows/Matlab, 14-Oct-2015).
FAST_InitializeAll:SrvD_Init:ValidatePrimaryData:Yaw angle and rate are not commanded from Simulink model.
ValidatePrimaryData:Pitch angles are not commanded from Simulink model.
ValidatePrimaryData:Generator torque and power are not commanded from Simulink model.
ValidatePrimaryData:HSS brake is not commanded from Simulink model.
Timestep: 0 of 60 seconds.
[/code]

Thank you for your help,
Xiaoming chen

Dear Xiaoming Chen,

I would guess that there is a problem trying to access the Bladed-style DLL controller (DISCON.dll), but I don’t see any specific error message in your command window. Perhaps the path to the DLL or the addressing scheme (32 versus 64 bit) is incorrect? Can you run the same simulation without calling the Bladed-style DLL controller (i.e. by setting PCMode = VSContrl = 0 in the ServoDyn input file)?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

thank you for your advice.

According to your hint, I do the following jobs :

1. if I setting PCMode = VSContrl = 0 in the ServoDyn input file,the same problem appear.

2. I change the the addressing scheme of the program from 32-bit to 64 - bit, but the problem is still the same.

3. if I set CompServo = 0 in test18. FST file,It not appear the initialization parameter error.however,the result seems not normal,some problems like this:
    (a) Firstly,after computing,the output files are “Test18.SFunc.T1.AD .sum,Test18.SFunc.T1.ED.sum,Test18.SFunc.T1.sum,Test18.SFunc.T1.outb,but the size of outb file(Test18.SFunc.T1.outb) is very small(compare to the result by
    FAST_x32/64. Exe), It seem that the computation is not complete.
    (b) Secondliy,In the command window, the timestep is no change in the computation,always being"Timestep: 0 of 60 seconds.”
    (c) I guess that the calculation abnomally exits in the process to cause the problem(a、b).So,I modified some code to catch the exception error.I find statment error in the 'FAST_CreateCheckpoint(CheckpointFileRoot, &ErrStat, ErrMsg),which is Line 101 in the FAST_Prog.c files.however ,I can’t get more detailed information about the error.
    the codes of command window like this:

[code]"
==========================fredj test================================
MATLAB DLL Path: C:\Program Files\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v84\bin\win64
Current Directory: D:\fredj\03_Source\vs2008\AqwaTest\x64\Debug

FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 27-Jul-2016)

Copyright (C) 2016 National Renewable Energy Laboratory

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the “license.txt” file distributed with this
software for details.

Running FAST (v8.16.00a-bjj, 27-Jul-2016), compiled as a DLL S-Function for Simulink as a 64-bit
application using single precision
linked with NWTC Subroutine Library (v2.09.00, 23-Jul-2016)

Heading of the FAST input file:
FAST Certification Test #18: NREL 5.0 MW Baseline Wind Turbine (Onshore)

Running ElastoDyn (v1.04.00a-bjj, 26-Jul-2016).

Running AeroDyn (v15.03.00, 27-Jul-2016).

Running AirfoilInfo (v1.01.00a-bjj, 5-Apr-2016).

Running BEM (v1.02.00, 29-Jun-2016).
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 1
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 2
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 1, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 2, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 3, Blade = 3
Warning: Turning off Unsteady Aerodynamics because C_nalpha is 0. BladeNode = 4, Blade = 3

Running InflowWind (v3.03.00, 26-Jul-2016).
Opening InflowWind input file: jf_CertTest/5MW_Baseline/NRELOffshrBsline5MW_InflowWind_12mps.dat

Reading a 31x31 grid (145 m wide, 17.5 m to 162.5 m above ground) with a characteristic wind
speed of 12 m/s. This full-field file was generated by TurbSim (v1.06.00, 21-Sep-2012) on
07-Jan-2014 at 12:50:45.

Processed 1442 time steps of 20-Hz full-field data (72.05 seconds).

Timestep: 0 of 60 seconds.
The Cpp-Code ‘FAST_CreateCheckpoint(CheckpointFileRoot, &ErrStat, ErrMsg);’ EXCEPTION Error.

FAST completed.

"[/code]

1. There is also a doubt, FAST v8 can not rely on the MATLAB runtime library to run, but when I build vc + + project, the MATLAB runtime library support is need. is it that using FAST_Prog. C building engineer has special requirements,which make
    FAST_x64. Exe need not call MATLAB library files?

Best regards,

Xiaoming chen

Hi, Xioming.

The pre-compiled FAST Library was really designed to be used with Simulink, which is why it is linking with Matlab libraries. If you aren’t going to be using this in Matlab, you can compile with the SysIVF.f90 file instead of SysMatlab.f90 and then remove the Matlab libraries from the linking command (see the FAST for Simulink instructions in the FAST8 ReadMe for details).

If you recompile the FAST_Library.dll and you are still having issues, I’d next remove the call to create the checkpoint files for (restart capability) and see if the example file runs to completion.

Dear Jason,

thank you for your advice very much.
According to your hint, I try to recompile the bat file of FAST_Library_x64. DLL by myself. However,I didn’t find the bat file in the compiling directory.what I find is another bat file named Compile_FAST. Bat,which is compiled to FAST_x64/32. Exe.
Can you tell me Where I can find the the bat file of FAST_Library_x64. DLL in the FAST V8? Or if you can give me a compiler generated FAST_Library_x64. DLL bat file?

Best regards,

Xiaoming chen

Hi Xiaomin,

There should be a Visual Studio project in the FAST8 archive for compiling the FAST library. Please read the instructions in the FAST8 ReadMe (see page 54) for help in compiling with it.