OrcaFlex Interface Issues

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for the support till now.

I am trying to couple FAST with OrcaFlex as given in “User’s Guide to using OrcaFlexInterface in FAST v8.pdf”. I followed steps and saved orcaflex ***.dat file and ***.sim file in the location where rest of the files are kept.

I placed the FASTlinkDLL files in the same folder location. When I run fast from command window like earlier, I am getting the following error. Could you please help me to resolve.

d-2.PNG
My **.fst file screenshot is as below

My OrcaFlex_Interface.dat screenshot is as below

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijay

Dear Vijay,

It looks like FAST is having trouble processing the pathname you’ve specified in OrcaFlex_Interface.dat because of the space between “FAST” and “v8”. I suggest that you eliminate the space in the path.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

You’re right and hawk eyed. Thank you for swift reply.

Regards
Vijay

Dear Jason,

One quick question regarding platform additonal stiffness and damping when using FAST-OrcaFlex coupling. I think I should check the box for Other Damping in OrcaFlex to add additional damping that we give in HydroDyn, Is it not? If so, where do I give additional stiffness in this?

I have one more question regarding superimposed motion. Is it acceptable to give superimposed motion to Displacement RAO’s + Harmonic motions and uncheck all of the Included effects except the applied loads where we give a correction factor.? As we are importing the hydrodynamic data file (.out file), the corresponding vessel RAO’s are added to the structure.

The computational time is very high when I couple FAST-OrcaFlex. Does it demand for longer computational time? it is very small when quasti-static mooring was added (say MoorDyn) earlier.

How do i reduce computational time? Is it advisable to increase recommended time step? or is there any other way to do this?

Please correct me if I am wrong and give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks
Vijay

Dear Vijay,

I’m not an expert on OrcaFlex or the OrcaFlex-FAST v8 coupling. Perhaps someone else on this forum can respond.

OrcaFlex-specific questions would be best handled by Orcina.

I’m not sure what you mean when you refer to a “recommend time step”, as we have not recommended one for the OrcaFlex-FAST v8 coupling.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the reply.

I actually referred to “Recommended module time step”.

Could you please redirect or let me know who has actually coupled FAST with OrcaFlex and who prepared the interface and the manual. I would like to discuss more in this regard to get clarity.

Many Thanks,
Vijay

Dear Vijay,

Unfortunately, the personal who developed, tested, and documented the OrcaFlex-FAST v8 interface are no longer employed at NREL.

You may be able to reach out to Morten Andersen of Aalborg University in Denmark, who wrote the documentation and assembled the sample models during his stay at NREL.

Best regards,