Openfast v3.0.0 mode shapes not visualized by ParaView

I have run the test case 5MW_Land_modeShapes, and the calculation succeeded, but when I try to visualize the modes shapes in Paraview,
Paraview throws first a series of warnings like:

Cannot find '5MW_Land_DLL_WTurb.Mode1.LinTime1.AD_Blade1.0XX.vtp' in '/home/reius/OpenFASTの実行/githubからr-test/r-test/glue-codes/openfast/5MW_Land_ModeShapes/vtk'. Using '.\vtk\5MW_Land_DLL_WTurb.Mode1.LinTime1.AD_Blade1.0XX.vtp'.

then a series of errors like:

ERROR: In /build/paraview-vlxewD/paraview-5.7.0/VTK/IO/XML/vtkXMLReader.cxx, line 299
vtkXMLPolyDataReader (0x55d35fe0b9a0): Error opening file .\vtk\5MW_Land_DLL_WTurb.Mode1.LinTime1.AD_Blade1.001.vtp

ERROR: In /build/paraview-vlxewD/paraview-5.7.0/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 779
vtkPVCompositeDataPipeline (0x55d3643b8f90): Algorithm vtkFileSeriesReader(0x55d3637918c0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (0x55d363632380)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 4594097
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_DATA
  FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

and the three RenderViews in the single layout stay empty.

I am following the procedure explained in the vtk-visuakization.md file section Visualization of Mode Shapes, and up to step 3 everything goes fine.

Then I start Paraview, load the .pvsm file as explained in section Using ParaView state files, and the warning and errors above reported pop out.

But, indeed, no 5MW_Land_DLL_…vtp file is generated in the vtk directory, I only have .vtp files with the same names as the ones of the error messages but without DLL part.

I am using openfast v3.0.0 from within a conda environment on an Ubuntu-20.04 workstation; Paraview version is 5.7.0 .

Can someone help me on this problem?
Thank you for your time and attention

Hi Henny,

Most likely the filenames and paths in the paraview state file do not match the ones that were generated. You can try the following to fix your issue and get familiar with the files needed by the state file:

• Open the paraview state file, and look for “.001.vtp”. That will tell you which files are required by the paraview state file.
  • You said that you don’t have the “DLL” part in your filenames, which might mean that your main .fst file didn’t have the same name as the one used in the example for the state file. You can search and replace the filenames in the paraview state file, so that they match your filenames.
  • An alternative: When you open the paraview file, paraview gives you the option to chose the files that are needed by the state file. You can navigate to your vtk folder and select the ones that match the default filenames in the state file “*AD_Blade”, “*ED_Nacelle” “*ED_TowerLn2Mesh_motion” , etc.
  • Another alternative is to rename your main “.fst” file such that it matches the one used for the state file.
  • Just in case, you can also try to use the following state file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox/main/Campbell/ED_Surfaces.pvsm. I remember updating it as some point, but I can’t remember what the differences are with the one from the r-test.

On a side note, and if you have the time, you can try the matlab wrapper that attempts to automatize the process (if you set writeViz, runViz and writeAVi to true at the top of the script). The script is located here: matlab-toolbox/runCampbell.m at main · OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox · GitHub
If you encounter issues running this script, post an issue on the matlab-toolbox repository if possible.

Keep us in touch,

Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,

thank you for your fast reply.

I did as in points 1 & 2 in your answer and could visualize the mode as expected.
Paraview threw some other error messages, but the visualization was there, and I could also save it as .avi.

Thank you again,
Henny