NREL 5MW blade layup

Hi all,
I was wondering if there is any layup design for the NREL 5 MW wind turbine blade? I tried th SANDIA lab design and simulated it on PreComp but it resulted in different mechanical properties from mechanical properties of the blade published in the NREL 5MW turbine definition report. does any one know why?

Dear Khaled,

As your aware from the following forum topic: Structural design of the wind turbine blade, Sandia National Laboratory (SNL) has reversed-engineered the NREL 5-MW blade. Other than this, Iā€™m not aware of another version of the composite layup.

I have not looked at SNLā€™s reverse-engineered blade in detail, but my guess is your question would be best answered by Brian Resor.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,
Thank you for your reply. You advised me to contact Brian Resor from Sandia Labs, the problem is that I couldnā€™t contact him by any way. Can you advise me what to do?

Dear Khaled,

Brian Resor is member of this forum, but I donā€™t know if he uses it regularly. You can find his contact information in the list of members: memberlist.php.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Iā€˜m tyring to upscale WP 1.5MW wind turbine to 2MW wind turbine.After reading ā€œThe Sandia 100-meter All-glass Baseline Wind Turbine Blade: SNL100-00ā€,I want to use PreComp to calculate structural properties for composite blades. but when i try to get blade layup paraments in ā€œDefinition of a 5MW/61.5m Wind Turbine Blade Reference Modelā€,i found that the layup information was shown by a schedule without specific values.could you tell me how can i find these values?

Best regards

Dear @Jiantao.Liu,

Are you asking for the composite layup of the NREL 5-MW baseline wind turbine blade that was reversed engineered by Brian Resor of SNL? This report has been discussed here: Structural design of the wind turbine blade, but apparently the report is no longer available online (without authorization). I can send an electronic copy if that is what you want.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman

Thank you for your reply. After reading Structural design of the wind turbine blade, I find the report of Sandia. In this report i can get specific values of laminate layer information of different blade span, i think i can directiy use these information to build my new blade model.

Thanks & Regards,

1 Like