LIDAR implementation

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had made an attempt to add a LIDAR wind sensor to their simulation?

Thanks

Alec

Dear Alec,

A LIDAR module is not included in the public release version of FAST. But the NREL controls team should have a version with that feature available.

Best regards,

Thanks Jason

Based on your post, I’m not sure that if I wanted to use a LIDAR module that I would be able to?

If I was able to use LIDAR, do you have a description of how the wind file is generated? I found this, written by the prolific Ervin Bossanyi:

gl-garradhassan.com/assets/d … ulence.pdf

The maths goes over my head for the moment as I don’t have the inclination to understand it fully. Suffice to say there seems to be two huge boxes of wind that merge from one to the other over the simulation based on frequency stuff.

Thanks

Alec

Dear Alec,

I’m expecting some one from the NREL controls team to respond to better answer your questions.

The NREL controls team collaborates with the University of Colorado, the University of Stuttgart, and others and has developed models of evolving wind and LIDAR sensors, has built controllers using the preview information, and has tested the controllers on real systems. Many of the names referenced in Ervin’s paper are a part of this effort. But I, myself, have not been involved in the project; again, I’m expecting that someone from that team to respond.

Best regards,