LIDAR for FAST8

Dear Sir,

I would like to add the LIDAR module to FAST8 for my feedforward controller design tests.
However, have a little bit of difficulty in finding relevant information on how to change the S-function, OutList and OutData, and code settings :bulb:

Could you please provide me with any documentations or instruction on how to start to implement LIDAR in FAST8 from the very beginning?

Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,
Elham

Elham,

There is a little bit of documentation on using the Lidar module in FAST8 for Simulink here: github.com/NWTC/FAST/blob/maste … ulink.docx

Dear Bonnie,

Thanks for the document you shared with me.
here is Have few more questions:

1- For the LIDAR implementation, [3, UseLidar, LidRadialV] should be added to the S-function.
Does this mean we should modify it as: [3, 1, 0] for a normal LIDAR application?
or should “1” and “0” for UseLidar, LidRadialV be fed to the S-function from the Simulink?

2- where do we introduce the output channel called “WindMeas1”? (Is it specified in the in the InflowWind file?)

3- the LIDAR focus position in X, Y ,Z direction : how do I get this information? Is there a default LIDAR model for this set-up?

4- What other output channels are available when adding the LIDAR? (from a different forum page at Understanding the coordinate system of the LiDAR measurement - #2 by Bonnie.Jonkman , I read about the “(LidSpeed)” is this an input in “InflowWind” file or is it an output? How is it related to using LIDAR in FAST8?)

5- Are there any other adjustments necessary ?

Cheers,
Elham

Dear Bonnie,

I need to know the wind speed information before it hits the turbine at around 20 to 30 points at a given instant in a given plane so that I can control the turbine in a better way.

I am able to implement the LIDAR module but I still have a few problems with finding wind information in a plane before it hits the turbine.
I used the CW LIDAR option.
‘WindMeas1’ is the wind velocity in which direction and at which point?Is it at the set focus?
I need to know the velocity of the wind at various points in a plane before it hits the turbine at a given time instant.
I just need the wind speed in the x direction.
Please may you tell me as to how I can get the wind speeds at at least 20 to 30 points in a plane in the x direction at a given time instant using the LIDAR module.

In case I want to know the exact wind speeds at these planes as compared to the measured values what should I do?

Is there any major problem with the LIDAR module ( as its not documented) ?

Best Regards,
Shar