Iterative Matlab simulations with OpenFAST and default controller

Hi,

One of our works with our students involves using OpenFAST to conduct parametrized simulations and analyze output data such as generated power. I would like to perform these simulations iteratively in Matlab, by modifying some basic parameters (such as wind conditions) and storing the results. I know this can be done by means of the console for each set of input parameters, but I would like to automate the process within a Matlab script, where the parameters are defined within the script.

In simple terms, I want to automate a set of simulations where some parameters are modified (from simulation to simulation) within a Matlab script.

To do this, I am looking to:

1- openfast/glue-codes/simulink at main · OpenFAST/openfast · GitHub
2- GitHub - OpenFAST/matlab-toolbox: Collection of Matlab tools developed for use with OpenFAST

From what I understand, option 1 is mainly used for control development in Matlab. However, since I do not want to modify the controller, is it possible to do such simulations with the default controller?

Could you please confirm if this is the correct approach?

Thanks in advance,

-Mario

Dear @Mario.Ruz,

Similar questions were discussed in the following forum topics:
Replacement for RunNTM? (starting with my post dated July 26, 2019)
Wind & Wave data (starting with my post dated August 31, 2019)

I agree that you don’t need use the interface between OpenFAST and Simulink, unless you intend to change the controller. You can have OpenFAST call the standalone OpenFAST executable (uncoupled from Simulink) directly from MATLAB.

Best regards,

Dear @Jason.Jonkman,

Thank you very much for your answer.

We’ll take a look to the mentioned topics.

Best regards,

-Mario