Data for NREL Airfoils

Hi everybody,
and … thanks to NREL for creating this Forum. One feels to be a part of a community of interests and of knowledge, even if that is 10000 km apart.

My question is maybe too simple but …

Are the coordinates data AND the lift and drag coefficients for the NREL family of airfoil public available? I mean for example S822, S823, S803 and so on. I made some searches, but without success.

As a side question, apart from the NREL developed airfoils, can someone point me to a good airfoil family to be used for very low wind speeds (so low Reynolds number) whose coordinates and performance data are available free of cost or with a low price?

thanks a lot
Claudio Pedrazzi

Hi Claudio

have a look at the Selig airfoils family: SG6040-SG6041-SG6042-SG6043-SG6050-SG6051.
They work fine for small rotors

bye
Corrado

Hi Claudio,

Unfortunately, NREL licences the airfoil coordinates to interested manufacturers and therefore they are not publicly available. The exception to this is the S809 airfoil, which can be found in reports related to the NASA Ames wind tunnel experiment. These reports can be found on the NREL publications website.

[url]Publications | NREL

There are other reports that you may find of interest that do have coordinates and performance data for non-NREL airfoils. Some also have performance comparisons to NREL airfoils, although no coordiantes. For example the following report has performance and coordinate data for the E387, FX63-137, & SD 2030 and performance for the S822, S834, and SH 3055.

[url]http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy05osti/34515.pdf[/url]

cheers,
Pat

I contacted our Technology Transfer Office about our airfoils and got this response when I asked what was required to have use of our airfoils:

Marshall

Marshall,
and everybody,

thanks a lot for your answers.

TEROM SpA, the company where I work at the moment, IS a very small, very startup company :slight_smile: . I will pass on the information about the licensing of airfoils data, and eventually take contact again on that subject.

Best regards
and keep up the good work!

Claudio Pedrazzi

Hi, Pat and everybody,

May I suggest that NREL prepare a list of airfoils, and state which one is in public domain, and which one is not ? This may save many people’s searching works :slight_smile:

Zhou Hua

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t have that list but Dan Sommers has a partial list

airfoils.com/pubs1.htm

to find out if they are publicly available try searching

nrel.gov/publications/

or some of the older ones are available here

osti.gov/bridge/

If anyone would like to post the results of their searching, that would be great.

You can also find more airfoil data tested by Michael Selig at UIUC here

ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/uiuc_lsat.html

and a really handy airfoil search site here (although the NREL airoils are not there)

nasg.com/afdb/index-e.phtml

Thank you very very much !

Just to corret my earlier post above - after checking the NREL publications page, a lot of the NREL airfoils ARE publicly available now. Seems many were published in January 2005. Perhaps the patent ran out (?), so I’m not exactly sure if the licencing fee still applies. Happy airfoil hunting.

Hi everybody again…
After a certain delay, I am still looking for the “right” airfoil family. Thanks to all the suggestions above, I begin to see the … end of the tunnel :slight_smile:. And in fact it IS true that most of the coordinates are now published.
Just for the sake of completeness, I still miss the following paper, that is a part of the list of Dan Somers. But, maybe due to the date (1987), it is not available under the NREL or OSTI publication search.

“Somers, Dan M.: The S801 through S808 Airfoils”

These airfoils should be also candidates for variable speed, variable pitch, small wind turbines. Can NREL somehow make this paper available, or are those profiles still proprietary?

Thanks a lot!
And best regards

Claudio,

We have no record of such a paper. Are you sure of the title?

Marshall

According to our librarian that report was never published, so your best option is to contact Dan Somers directly - noboby here as a copy, sorry.

Well thanks a lot everybody…
the paper was actually mentioned in the list by Mr. Somers, posted in this same thread … airfoils.com/pubs1.htm

Anyway I already contacted directly Mr. Somers, and he advised me that, of course, these airfoils are “technologically ancient” and better options exist.

Thanks a lot
best regards

Hi,

The second edition of Dave Spera’s Wind Turbine Technology (ISBN: 978-0-7918-0260-1) is hot off the press and Appendix D is dedicated to the NREL S-series airfoils. You may want to take a look if you are interested in using the airfoils.

I am also working (at a low level) on a web page for the airfoils. The web page will have the information found in Spera’s book plus information about how to get licenses, lift and drag data, and even airfoil coordinates.

Hi,
I am designing a blade of small stall regulated wind turbine of about 11 meter rotor diameter. Currently I am looking for suitable airfoils which I can use for the blade. S822 and S823 airfoils from NREL appear to be most suitable for this size of blade. Can anyone please clarify that in order to use these airfoils do I have to obtain a license from NREL and what would be the license fee?
Can anyone recommend some other airfoils (apart from NREL and which are publicly available) which could be used for stall regulated wind turbines?
Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,

Irfan

Dear Irfan,

You can find out more about licensing arrangements for the NREL airfoils here:

[url]https://wind.nrel.gov/airfoils/AirfoilLicensing.html[/url]

The cost to license the airfoils is based upon the size and kind of organization that will use them.

Marshall

Hi everybody,

I am studying the deflection failure on the wind turbine blades. I have done some analysis using ANSYS and matlab programans in order to calculate the blade deflection. FAST is a powerfull tool used in wind turbine calculation, so I want to compare the results with FAST results.

But I have a problem with airfoil data. I have all airfoil data correct except one. I need S818_30 airfoil data and I have S818_27 one. I know that the drag and lift coefficients are not the same. I haven’t found it, so I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me or help me.

Thank you very much in advance,

Eneko

Dear Eneko,

What do you mean by “S818_30?” Is that S818 data for the 30th blade station or something? Generally, people get data at the “pure” locations and then have to interpolate between them to get the intermediate stations. I use our AirfoilPrep spreadsheet to do that.

Marshall

I mean S818 airfoil 30 scaled . As far as I know some airfoils are scaled, I mean, with equal chord (x direction) their y coordinates are farther.

I have found S818 27 scaled file, the file which appear the CD and CL coefficient (Aerodyn input) but no 30 scaled.

Thank you very much for answering my question,

Eneko

Dear Eneko,

I’m not sure what you mean by “scaled.” Our airfoil tables are all nondimensional. They all have a chord of 1.0 (unspecified) unit. There is a characteristic thickness to chord ratio for any given airfoil. The S818 is a 21% airfoil (maximum thickness/chord = 0.21). The lift and drag coefficients are independent of the scale of the airfoil. If you double all the dimensions, the lift and drag coefficients will be the same other than for Re effects.

You can read more about the S818 in this report: [url]http://wind.nrel.gov/airfoils/Documents/S816,S817,S818_Design.pdf[/url].

The only data I have for the S818 has coefficients for various Reynolds Numbers. You can get it here: [url]http://wind.nrel.gov/airfoils/Coefficients/S818E.TXT[/url].

Marshall