Coupling FAST with a commercial FE software

Dear Jason,

I wanted to ask, if you know anybody has performed coupling of FAST v8 or v7 with a commercial FE software like Abaqus or Ansys?
I see this possibility within new version of FAST (v8.12). It may then be possible to do FE analysis on a more detailed rotor blade model.
I would like also to hear your idea about it.

Best Regards,
Mehdi Garmabi

Dear Mehdi,

Are you referring to using ABAQUS or ANSYS as a post-processor for FAST (e.g. transferring loads output from FAST as input to an FE software for stress recovery) or are you referring to a direct time-step-by-time-step coupling (e.g. modeling the rotor with ABAQUS or ANSYS and modeling the aerodynamics with AeroDyn)?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thanks allot for your response.
I am referring to the second case as you mentioned: Modeling the rotor with Abaqus and using FAST to calculate the aerodynamics, blades pitches and tower responses in each time step.

Best regards,
Mehdi Garmabi

Dear Mehdi,

I’m not aware of anyone who has coupled AeroDyn with ANSYS or ABAQUS for time-domain simulation of aero-elastics (or the like). I’m sure such a coupling is possible given the modularization approach taken in FAST v8, but it would take a bit of effort to establish.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

ok. Thank you anyhow.

Best regards,
Mehdi Garmabi