Controller signals for NREL 5 MW DLL controller

I am trying to implement the DLL controller for the NREL 5 MW in Simulink and I am running into some issues with the Simulink simulations. Is there a way to get the data from the proportional error, Integral error, KI, KP, and GK signals in the FAST simulation when run normally using the DLL implemented controls? I would like to use these for trouble shooting.

Thanks, Layne

Dear Layne,

The source file for the NREL 5-MW wind turbine’s DLL controller has a compile-time flag named PC_DbgOut. If you recompile the DLL with this flag set to True, than a simulation run with the DLL will generate a *.dbg file that contains data useful for debugging the controller, including all of the signals you seek. (Normally we distribute the DLL with PD_DbgOut set to False.)

Best regards,

Jason,

I do not have access to CVF, is there another freeware compiler that you would recommend or is it possible for NREL to recompile the controller file for me?

Thanks, Layne

Layne,

You do not need to use CVF. We use Intel Visual Fortran; you can get a trial version of it, or you can use gfortran for free. There is also some discussion on this forum from others who have compiled the DLL.

Bonnie,

I’ve gotten to the point where I think that FAST should compile but I’m getting an error and don’t really know how to go about debugging this. Admittedly I am not a FORTRAN programmer so I am somewhat helpless in this environment.

I am getting the screen below when I try and compile FAST.

Thanks, Layne
screen.jpg

Dear Layne,

I’m not sure if you are compiling FAST for another reason, but if you are simply following the direction from my post above, you don’t actually need to recompile the FAST.exe. You only need to recompile the DISCON.dll file.

Best regards,

Bonnie,

Do I just compile the discon.f90 file for that?

Layne

Yes.

Thanks Bonnie.

Got it working.