Compile Aerodyn 15.04 source files in FAST

Hello,

I tried to compile FAST with the Aerodyn 15.04 source files provided here: github.com/NWTC/AeroDyn
However, there were too many errors.

My procedure was:
1)Download the source files
2)Replace the files in the FAST_v8.16.00a-bjj\Source\dependencies\AeroDyn
3)Compile

I assume my compiling procedure is wrong and I can just drop the source files without modifying something there.

Could you point me to the right procedure in replacing the source code?
When do you expect the updated FAST to be released?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Anton Andriyanov
Compile error.xlsx (43.3 KB)

Dear Anton,

It looks like something is incorrect in your IfW_UniformWind_Types.f90. In Intel Visual Studio, select “Rebuild Solution” to ensure that the FAST Registry is run.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have “Rebuild solution” in Visual Studio but received the same set of errors as for the regular “build solution” option.
It seems that the errors correspond to each module, not only to IfW_UniformWind_Types.f90, and they are of a similar type for each module.
I wonder if I have to modify anything in the fast registry file or in the new f90 files.

I have “Built Solution” for the FAST without replacing the source files without any problem, the errors occur when I replace the source files.
Thank you.

Kind regards,

Anton
Rebuild errors.xlsx (203 KB)

Dear Anton,

Sometimes Visual Studio gets confused. The first thing I would try is to close Visual Studio, then reopen your solution file and try to build the solution again. If that doesn’t work, find the NWTC_Library.f90 file in your Solution Explorer window. Single-click on NWTC_Library.f90 so that the file is selected (it should be highlighted), then right-click on that individual file and tell it to “compile.” When NWTC_Library has successfully compiled, build the solution again.

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

Thank you for the advice, compiling NWTC_Library.f90 worked in part.
The number of errors got reduced to 128.
All the errors are different for each of the files, but many have to do with “type”
and are manifested in the Aerodyn_IO.f90, Aerodyn.f90, Fast_Slover.f90, FAST_Lin.f90, FAST_Subs.f90, FAST_Prog.f90

I have compiled all the Aerodyn source files alone. Only Aerodyn.f90 and AeroDyn_IO.f90 showed errors. These errors are a subset of the errors corresponding to FAST_Project “build solution”

I have attached the list of errors.
Thank you Jason.

Kind Regards,

Anton
Error_list_Try_3.xlsx (20.7 KB)

Dear Jason,

Not sure if this will be of any help but I noticed that when try to compile the NWTC_Library.f90 in the x64 platform, it compiles without problems. When I compile NWTC_Library.f90 in Wind32, it errors out with this type of errors:

NWTC_Library.f90(81): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [NWTC_NUM]
NWTC_Library.f90(82): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODMESH]
NWTC_Library.f90(85): error #7002: Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths. [MODMESH_MAP
NWTC_Library.f90(116): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [PROGNAME]
NWTC_Library.f90(116): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the
NWTC_Library.f90(120): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [PROGVER]
NWTC_Library.f90(120): error #6303: The assignment operation or the binary expression operation is invalid for the
NWTC_Library.f90(136): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must have an explicit type. [NWTC_VER]

When I compile Aerodyn.f90 in Win32 or x64, it errors out with similar errors: “Error in opening the compiled module file. Check INCLUDE paths.”

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Anton

Dear Jason,

I managed to compile the Win32 platform. To accomplish it, I compiled each file that had an error one by one and made sure that each individual file compiles. Some files have errored because of other files that needed to be compiled first.

I have been narrowing down the errors until the “Rad2M180to180Deg” subroutine error in the Aerodyn_IO.f90. I compared the old source file and the new source file side by side using NotePad++. Results that the new source file doesn’t have or doesn’t call properly the “Rad2M180to180Deg” subroutine. I replaced the “Rad2M180to180Deg” with “R2D” from the old file and everything compiled like a charm after that.
The code works approximately 6 times slower now.

Could you advise me if this change is going to affect the results of the simulation? Is there a way to bring back the “Rad2M180to180Deg” so it works as well as it did before?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Anton Andriyanov

Dear Anton,

Ah, I forgot to tell you that you need to use the updated NWTC Library with AeroDyn v15.04: github.com/NWTC/NWTC_Library (the updated Library has added FUNCTION Rad2M180to180Deg.)

I would not expect the updated code to run much slower. Perhaps you’re compiling in debug mode?

Best regards,

Dear Jason,

I tried the new library but started receiving different error now, mostly with “Orca.”
I will try to work with the previous files an update if run in a different type of problem.

The slowness is because I compiled the code in Debug mode.

Is there a date for the next release of FAST?

Thank you for all your help.
Kind regards,

Anton

Dear Anton,

I think I’d need to see the “Output” window in Visual Studio after you try to compile to understand what is happening.

I don’t know when the next release of FAST will be. There is a bit of a transition at the moment as we are moving from the existing github repositories in the NWTC organization to the new OpenFAST repository: github.com/OpenFAST/openfast, which is meant to better support an open-source developer community around FAST (still a work in progress).

Best regards,

Would anyone be happy to share an unofficial copy of FASTv8 with the updated AeroDyn 15.04? Trying to compile it is driving me insane ;-) and I just don’t have anymore time to dedicate to it.

Dear Dawn,

I don’t have a compiled Windows executable of FAST v8 linked with AeroDyn v15.04. However, I suggest that you simply upgrade to OpenFAST v1.0.0, which includes the AeroDyn v15.04 changes, as well as a few other more minor improvements to the FAST source code. You can read about the changes and download a 64-bit Windows executable of OpenFAST v1.0.0 here: nwtc.nrel.gov/OpenFAST.

Best regards,

Hello,
I followed this post to link FASTv8 to Aerodyn 15.04. After replacing all files in Source/AeroDyn, I also got the error about the function “Rad2M180to180Deg.” And I just simply replaced the library file NWTC_Num.f90. Then it works pretty well for me and solves the issue about “no valid value of phi” in BEMT. I use the linux version and compile in a unix system server.

Best Regards,
Nan-You

Hallo to everybody,

Thank you very much for sharing the compiling instructions document and the recommendations in the present thread.
Unfortunately I was not able to compile FAST v8 with AeroDyn 15.04.
Thus, I would be very grateful, if somebody could share the FAST_Library_x64.dll for operation of FAST with Simulink.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan

PS: I need to perform simulations which should be consistent with previous FASTv8-simulations. Thus I do not want to use OpenFAST for the present task.